Clean a Car with One Cup of Water

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can already do this at home with any number of instant detail sprays or even spray waxes as long as the car isn't caked with mud.

Originally Posted By: anonobomber
You can already do this at home with any number of instant detail sprays or even spray waxes as long as the car isn't caked with mud.

+1 They sell rinseless washes. While I have seen it done on their website, I wouldn't trust using something like this on a really dirty car.

They didn't mention you can then change your oil at 35,000 miles and get 5% better MPGs guaranteed.

+1

You what I notice when manual car wash pictures are posted? Ethnicity of the workers! Why is that?

It would be nice if people read the article before commenting. Straight from the article, not even halfway down:

Quote:
There are other car-washing sprays on the market, but few car washes that specialize in the water-saving practice. Such sprays “are fine for cars that are moderately dirty,” said Mark Takahashi, automotive editor at car reviews site Edmunds.com. “If it’s severely caked-on stuff, using water to initially remove it is advisable.”

And part of the draw is that it is a plant-derived and biodegradable cleaner.

Yes, I would give it a whirl.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
It would be nice if people read the article before commenting. Straight from the article, not even halfway down:

Quote:
There are other car-washing sprays on the market, but few car washes that specialize in the water-saving practice. Such sprays “are fine for cars that are moderately dirty,” said Mark Takahashi, automotive editor at car reviews site Edmunds.com. “If it’s severely caked-on stuff, using water to initially remove it is advisable.”

I did read the whole article before commenting. Also, if I wash my car using a 16 oz bottle of instant detailer spray I only use about 1/4-1/3 of the bottle. That comes out to somewhere around 4 to 5.5 oz of detail spray. 8 oz is 1 cup so that's less than the "one cup" they're touting here meaning the "water savings" is the same or better than what's being talked about in the article.

Quote:

I did read the whole article before commenting. Also, if I wash my car using a 16 oz bottle of instant detailer spray I only use about 1/4-1/3 of the bottle. That comes out to somewhere around 4 to 5.5 oz of detail spray. 8 oz is 1 cup so that's less than the "one cup" they're touting here meaning the "water savings" is the same or better than what's being talked about in the article.

Well, the title of the article is "Drought-busting car wash cleans with less than 1 cup of water" (emphasis added). And it is someone else doing it, which is probably pretty appealing to the typical SF Gate reader, who probably does not even have the room to do a rinseless wash at their apartment/condo/townhouse.

Just recently bought a bottle of:
http://www.amazon.com/Waterless-Car-Wash...erless+car+wash

and a bottle of:
http://www.amazon.com/Griots-Garage-1128...erless+car+wash

Haven't tried them yet as I just got them to try. Around here, we get a letter about curbing lawn watering, car washing etc., and this year isn't the first time. So I guess I'll be giving these products a try soon although I usually maintain in a regular basis with various detail spray products.... currently using Meguiers Ultimate (something like that). Using a good MF and keeping up without letting the vehicle get real bad helps, plus working an area at a time, how to wipe with the MF and folding the MF to a clean dry followup wipe etc.
Jury is out to see if I'm going like these or not.

It's just one of the many "waterless" washes taken to a higher level with franchised car washes using the product. Smart business move but nothing earth shattering.The big question is how many times the MF towels are used before getting a clean one? For the kind of volume they are touting, thousands of MF towels would be required if done correctly.
It takes water to wash those towels right? I can see a washer & dryer running all day every day just to have a clean supply. Not so ECO in my view.

Very good point RTexasF that some of us may not consider. I thought about the possibly offensive manufacturing procedures for making this stuff, but hadnt considered the cleaning of towels. Btw, i picked up some that requires a bucket or two of water.

Quote:

Well, the title of the article is "Drought-busting car wash cleans with less than 1 cup of water" (emphasis added). And it is someone else doing it, which is probably pretty appealing to the typical SF Gate reader, who probably does not even have the room to do a rinseless wash at their apartment/condo/townhouse.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
You what I notice when manual car wash pictures are posted? Ethnicity of the workers! Why is that?

It's because of your cultural awareness.

Who would pay people to scratch up the clear coat? You need suds and lots of them
DSC_0116q.jpg

Originally Posted By: MacWest
Who would pay people to scratch up the clear coat? You need suds and lots of them
DSC_0116q.jpg

Seems like the author of the article read your mind:

Quote:
The term “waterless car wash immediately puts in your mind, 'Where’s the lubrication? If there’s no water, you’re going to scratch my car,’” he said. “Everybody is taught by their parents that when you clean a car, use a lot of water so you don’t scratch their car. No one’s thought anything of it and just gone with that.”

He’s never had his Tesla washed anywhere else and the finish does look like the car is brand-new.

Originally Posted By: BRZED

It's because of your cultural awareness.
What it shows is that these business model *depend* upon exploitation of these ethnic people. Without them, business will not survive at all.

Unfortunately, the owner class or "pretend-owner class" people are the first one screaming loudest about illegal immigration :-(

We have ton of them here on BITOG.

Rick,

Anything off the shelf product but more similar to WPG?

By the way, WPG uses way less than one cup of product to do a single car. The number of terry towels needed are fewer too.

Rick,

Anything off the shelf product but more similar to WPG?

By the way, WPG uses way less than one cup of product to do a single car. The number of terry towels needed are fewer too.

Not that I'm aware of.

looks like I will be ordering whole bunch of WPG sets to distribute the shipping cost. Ordering single makes no sense.

anybody local wants to split an order of WPG? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back