Measuring cup for oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just did an oil change on my car, and I used one of those 5L jugs (PP). My car takes 4L, and even though I was trying to be careful (poured a bit, then checked how much was left in the jug) I still ended up with a slight over fill. I don't think it is so much over full as to be a problem, but it still kind of bugs me; I like to put in what the spec calls for. In any case, I am looking for ideas: how do you guys measure out the correct amount of oil for your vehicles? I was thinking a big measuring cup/pitcher would be the thing; better yet, one with some kind of pour spout (like the spout I have which fits on Amsoil jugs)

If you have an empty 1 quart bottle sitting around you can fill it with the 5L jug and you have 4L left in the jug.

I wouldn't worry about it if it's only a little over filled. My cavalier calls for 4.5 qts and I just dump in the whole 5qt jug and call it good. Granted I use an oversize filter but I wouldn't think overfilling by a few dozen mils would do any harm.

I'd keep that 5L jug and each time you do an oil change, buy another 5L jug and pour out 1L into that dedicated "jug"!

After you buy 4 jugs, you'll have a freebee OCI!
wink.gif

Google motor oil dispensers. There are plenty of them.

Basically a plastic pitcher that has measurements. Some have hose spouts

Usually used more by shops that are dispensing oil from bulk Then pour into tthe customer vehicle

The others are right. If you're cheap you can just make your own from an existing 5qt container that hopefully is translucent enough and draw a line on it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JamesBond
Get it close then use the dipstick. That's the measurement tool you're using anyway.

+1

I use oversize filters,

Fram 3600 / Purolator 20195...

Increases amount needed by 8 ounces...

Garden Tractor - 56 ounces to 64, two quarts...
Saturn SL2 - 3.8 quarts to 4.0...

This is why I prefer to buy single quarts if the capacity is less than 5qt.

My current car is listed as 4.2qt. Is it ok to put in just 4 quarts?

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
This is why I prefer to buy single quarts if the capacity is less than 5qt.

My current car is listed as 4.2qt. Is it ok to put in just 4 quarts?

Absolutely. The level on dipstick will be closer to full than add line.

My E430 requires 8.5 qts and I use 8 qts. My S2000 requires 5.2 qts and I fill it with 5 qts.

Honestly I wouldn't worry about it. Oil level will fluctuate with engine temperature. If it bothers you check it on a cold morning and it'll be withing range.

I don't use a measuring tool. Just fill to the full mark and go. I'm not concerned about a .2qt overfill or underfill.

I'd do exactly what you just did. Pour form the jug and just estimate it. A little bit over or under isn't going to affect a single thing. Some people regularly put in .5-1 quart more than what's called for. With engine oil, it shouldn't be a problem, but I wouldn't do it with other oils like ATF.

My car takes 4.5 quarts. When I'm using a five quart jug, I just start estimating it and stop when it looks like I've got half a quart left in the bottle. Like I said, a little over or under isn't going to affect anything, and doing it this way gets me close enough to 4.5 quarts that I have no worries at all.

I say keep doing it like you did it this time, no reason to go out and buy something new. Though if you really want, keep your current 5L container, and next time you want to do an oil change, pour about a liter into it first, then pour the rest in your vehicle.

I have a large clear plastic measuring cup that I have been using for years. Mostly for servicing my Harley. I stole it out of the kitchen when the Wife wasn't looking.

Merk, go ahead and figure that one out, after college i swore id never do anymore calculus or advanced Algebra again so im not even going there. lol

well at least i try not to do any, what a headache.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
I Like to overfill .5L for peace of mind

Didn't you get blue smoke? Or bubbles on dipstick?

crazy2.gif
crazy2.gif

.5L = 500ml not qts is a LOT

Last edited:
I bought a 2 quart plastic pitcher from Walmarts for $2 that I used when I had a 4Q engine. I now have a 4.8Q engine and I dump the 5Q jug in and call it good. Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back