Where to get an alignment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
I'm replacing the outer tie rods on the Beetle and will need an alignment. Anybody you guys recommend? I've gone to a Fletcher's for my Camry before. I won't take it to Firestone, they did alignments for my mechanic and the monkey there forgot to tighten the nuts on the adjusting collar on tie rods and it ruined a customer's tires and the tie rods almost fell off. They also wouldn't pay for new tires (installed at that same time) or a new alignment. I know every shop may have problems but I won't go to Firestone.

I'd rather not get a $130 dealer alignment.

INDEPENDENT Tire dealer or a small(I mean SMALL LIKE less than five locations) tire dealer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
hmm. What about a National Tire and Battery?

I have been using NTB for twenty years. I recommend them. They aren't really any cheaper than anywhere else.

I just did a complete refresh on my Golf's suspension and took it for an alignment at Lesueur car company in Tempe for $80. A little more than Pepboys but they work on a lot of Volkswagens.

Edit: Just noticed that you are only replacing the outer tie rods. When I did mine a couple years ago, I just marked where the originals were at and put the new ones to the same marking. I didn't have any irregular tire wear for 50k miles.

Last edited:
Just do 'em one at a time and test drive after to see if it's straight.

Stick a laser level on your tire bulges at 4 and 8 oclock and aim it rearwards... should just barely miss the rear tires, hitting the ground 1/4-1/2 inch out.

Even if you get a "real" alignment later, this will get you to the store, and you can pat yourself on the back for how close you got the "before" setting.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Just do 'em one at a time and test drive after to see if it's straight.

Stick a laser level on your tire bulges at 4 and 8 oclock and aim it rearwards... should just barely miss the rear tires, hitting the ground 1/4-1/2 inch out.

Even if you get a "real" alignment later, this will get you to the store, and you can pat yourself on the back for how close you got the "before" setting.
I've done a few alignments on other cars myself but I want this one perfect, I've got a set of new Pirellis I'd like to get lots of miles out of them.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Go to VW dealership.

OT: any update on flywheel ?
They assured me it won't fly apart, and said there's plenty of documentation that if it did VW would cover it even after warranty

Unfortunately a top of the line Hunter alignment rack is of little value if the technician doesn't know how to properly use it.

A shop that only does alignments is your best bet.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
INDEPENDENT Tire dealer or a small(I mean SMALL LIKE less than five locations) tire dealer.

+1

We have a single independent place here that does alignments brakes suspension etc.

59 dollars for all wheel uses manual alignment tools. Best alignment i ever got was with them.

I had someone with a Hunter machine align it and took it to him for a separate issue, and he checked the alignment and it was out of spec. SO apparently whoever used the machine did not know how to use it.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Go to a frame and wheel shop. Not a tire dealer.
My grandfather owned a frame and wheel shop from 1959-2005. Unfortunately he sold it so I can't get an alignment there lol.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
My grandfather owned a frame and wheel shop from 1959-2005. Unfortunately he sold it so I can't get an alignment there lol.

Is there a place in Phoenix similar to your Grandfather's shop?

If you were to go to Chick's Frame & Wheel in Fresno, you would see a bunch of large trucks sitting up on racks. By large trucks I mean like Peterbilts and Freightliners. They have alignment racks and frame straightening racks. As you can imagine, the building is fairly large.

There is a place at 29th St/Thomas called Jacks. They do all their alignments by hand, no computer which I am not sure how I feel about but I did take my truck there and I was happy with how it came out. Truck stopped pulling, steering wheel was centered and I haven't noticed any irregular tire wear but I only have a few thousand miles on the truck since.

Anyplace that centers the steering wheel, aligns the toe and camber, and places the appropriate weights in the drivers seat, and provides a before and after printout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back