Lubrication for brake pedal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Long time reader, first time poster.

I've recently been experiencing squeaking in the brake pedal. I thought it was air at first, so i bled the brakes, but there's still squeaking. After doing some online searches, it believe it pertains to the switches, and pins connected to the brake pedal.

I found this youtube video online, and I'm basically experiencing the exact same problem. He recommends using lithium grease & WD40.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqnyf6_BWFc

I'm not very familiar with greases and wanted to get the communities thoughts on the best lubrication for the application

Thanks in advance.

I would use Syl-Glide grease if you can find it, doesn't damage rubber. Napa should have it.

WD-40 doesn't really lubricate that well, at least not for very long, and might wash out what precious little grease that is hiding [and lubricating] in some un-greasable crack.

Lithium grease might damage certain types of rubber or plastic.

The push rod on my clutch linkage started squeaking where it pushes against the piston a couple of years ago, I greased it with Syl-Glide, haven't had to re-grease it since.

Toyota specs Lithium Soap Base Glycol Grease but no one including Toyota has ever really been able to identify that grease. Some here think the Toyota Rubber Grease is the Glycol Grease but I don't think so. I do know that Toyota uses a very tacky grease for the application you are referring to.

Originally Posted By: Cardenio327
I would use Syl-Glide grease if you can find it, doesn't damage rubber. Napa should have it.

WD-40 doesn't really lubricate that well, at least not for very long, and might wash out what precious little grease that is hiding [and lubricating] in some un-greasable crack.

Lithium grease might damage certain types of rubber or plastic.

The push rod on my clutch linkage started squeaking where it pushes against the piston a couple of years ago, I greased it with Syl-Glide, haven't had to re-grease it since.

Which car has that cluth linkage squeak issue?
I have issue with my civic there. The original grease they used on the part is this pink goo. I can never find out what it is and where to get it.

Originally Posted By: Major153
Hello,

Long time reader, first time poster.

I've recently been experiencing squeaking in the brake pedal. I thought it was air at first, so i bled the brakes, but there's still squeaking. After doing some online searches, it believe it pertains to the switches, and pins connected to the brake pedal.

I found this youtube video online, and I'm basically experiencing the exact same problem. He recommends using lithium grease & WD40.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqnyf6_BWFc

I'm not very familiar with greases and wanted to get the communities thoughts on the best lubrication for the application

Thanks in advance.

anything that won't drop onto your shoes when it's hot! pedals aren't fussy about grease basestocks or soaps.

If there are rubbers involved you should use a silicone grease though.

Last edited:
I put my hand in a plastic sandwich bag, and squirted some chassis lube on, then wiped it on the affected area.

This was for a clutch pedal that was squeaking.

I like the Sylglide, too. It took me years to get used to 'mechanics gloves' and I never got there with the 'medical' types..and probably won't with baggies either. Amazing I'm still around with all the various lubes my skin has been exposed to!!

Yes,I agree with using bulb grease.

Also, gentlemen, barring contact withthe eyes, i think the only danger is used MOTOR oilthat has been exposedto combustion by-products and gases, and the like, so on and soforth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back