Need to ship a gun

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to ship my Kel-tec Sub 2000(long gun) in for repair can anyone tell me if I can ship it by the USPS I do not have a FFL or do I have to ship it by UPS or FEDEX the USPS costs alot less thanks for the help Glen

It's OK for you to ship to the manufacturer. Ask them what they prefer, but USPS is acceptable from a legal perspective, believe it or not...

Originally Posted By: gmurra
I have to ship my Kel-tec Sub 2000(long gun) in for repair can anyone tell me if I can ship it by the USPS I do not have a FFL or do I have to ship it by UPS or FEDEX the USPS costs alot less thanks for the help Glen

It'll be fine. My biggest concern would be dealing with a misinformed and panicky USPS employee. To avoid that, create an account at USPS.com and print the prepaid label so you only have to drop off the package. You get a discount that way too. This is also how I go about mailing UOAs.

I've shipped a number of M1 Carbines via Fedex and the cost was less than $25.
Your Keltec rifle is lighter, I think, than the 6LB carbine so it should be
even less. Never any questions from employees of Fedex.

I have shipped revolvers back to S&W via Fedex. It must be insured and you are required by Federal Law to tell the Fedex pick up guy it is a firearm. S&W sends you a special prepaid label and box to use. See if your manufacturer does the same.

The S&W labels do not have their name on them.

Thanks for all the help I sent it USPS 1 day flat rate box cost $54.40 Kel-tec got it today Glen

Last edited:
While we are on this subject I need to verify something. If you wish to send a long gun to an individual (from an individual) you can through the mail IF it's within your state of residency? If out of state requires mailing to a FFL first?

If I recall you can only mail a gun to yourself(for hunting trips and such). Otherwise it needs to go to an FFL.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gonefishing
While we are on this subject I need to verify something. If you wish to send a long gun to an individual (from an individual) you can through the mail IF it's within your state of residency? If out of state requires mailing to a FFL first?

Yes in certain states, it is perfectly legal to ship a long gun to a resident of the same state. All out of state transactions must go through a FFL dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back