Difference between plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know what the difference is between NGK ZFR6F-11 and NGK ZFR6F-11G? The manual for my wife's 2011 Liberty says to use the 11Gs, but I am seeing the 11s as a stocked item in most places and the 11Gs as special order. After looking at NGK's website I can't really tell what the difference is. NGK says both are OEM spec.

They are all "copper" core (inside the center ceramic body) within the 2 spark plugs mentioned, and not the outer nickel plated/bonded ground electrode.

Nickel ground electrode is a MUST in terms of erosion resistance while operating inside an extremely harsh environment (i.e. combustion chamber). Copper has never been used in terms of exposed electrode ignition parts due to rapid erosion.

I'd take Hangfire's explanation instead.

Q.

Originally Posted By: Quest
They are all "copper" core (inside the center ceramic body) within the 2 spark plugs mentioned, and not the outer nickel plated/bonded ground electrode.

Nickel ground electrode is a MUST in terms of erosion resistance while operating inside an extremely harsh environment (i.e. combustion chamber). Copper has never been used in terms of exposed electrode ignition parts due to rapid erosion.

I'd take Hangfire's explanation instead.

Q.

Yeah, I'm sure NGK has it all wrong in their specifications.

whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: NGK.com

V-Groove Increases Ignitability
Trivalent Metal Plating
Copper Core Ground Dissipates Heat

Last edited:
They appear identical. Both use a copper core (the core is not exposed to the flame front). One says nickel centre electrode, one says "copper core", but the core is not the centre electrode. Should say "nickel" so yes, NGK does appear to have a typo in the spec. Hardly unheard of.
See:

http://www.1stautobulbs.com/WhyNGK.php

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
They appear identical. ...

Originally Posted By: http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinfo/spark_plugs/partnumberkey.pdf
G-G: Copper core ground electrode

I decided to email NGK (I don't know why I just didn't do that in the first place) and this was the response:
"The G has a copper infused ground electrode to channel heat away from the ground electrode."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back