Question about exhaust heat shields

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i went and got a straight pipe exhaust system with the cat removed and they took off the heat shields as well because they seemed to make a rattling noise when the car is idling and im worried now if i needed them or not? If i do i cant find the original ones anymore since the car is a 1988
frown.gif

They're not necessary. Apart from rattling, they keep some heat out of the car.
IME, the only time you notice anything is during a track session when the transmission tunnel Might be slightly warm to the touch.

Don't worry
smile.gif

The exhaust is likely a good deal cooler without the cat in the system. If the heat starts getting to you, wrap the pipe in DEI Titanium exhaust wrap. It'll let so little heat out, you'll be able to grip it with your bare hand.

Did that to the exhausts on all of our propane lifts, and they have very high EGT's.

Some need 'em, some don't. Post your VIN and home address and I'll look your car up.

I'm pretty sure what you did was illegal.

Ive seen undercoating and rustproofing (factory) burned off due to lost heat shields. That said, there isn't much to them,many a couple,bent pieces of stainless with a big stainless hose clamp would work.

When heat shields rattle it's usually because one of the bands holding them on has failed. It's really easy to fix.

Heat shields always corrode and fall off here in NY. I'm waiting for the ones on the Focus to fall off any day now.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I am surprised there is a shop that will do that ...

My understanding is that the heat shield is there for people out west to prevent starting fires when parked on high grass. You don't need heat shields anywhere in the east, since it rains often enough here.

What are your current EGT'S? Before I de-catted my RX-7 for off road use only, my right boot would nearly melt after a hard drive. Never felt anything after I got all 3 cats out of there.

There was actually a sensor under the floor that triggered an alarm when they got too hot, and yes, I burned grass before. A guy I knew lost his whole car to such a thing. Fire didn't burn it up. Grass was smoking, and the firemen came along and trashed it making sure it wouldn't set on fire. Insurance totaled it out.

I have no idea what my exhaust temp was before or after this isnt a race car i dont have gauges to tell me that lol

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

As long as you don't live in Cali, you're fine. F Smog.

Here is a image of how my exhaust system looks. The heat shields before the cat were removed. Numbers 20510 and 20010
200_A01.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back