Building a 10/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone done this? I'm debating on building one vs having a vanilla stock one. A friend has an iTAC so I don't want to go that route. I've seen receivers on gunbroker.com and I know this can easily get out of hand money wise...for a .22. I don't want/need a $900 gun. Just a cool-looking accurate plinker.

If you have any pics that would be cool. Thanks.

I have about $1100 in my 10/22. With that I feel confident in telling you that you can attain 95% or better of the accuracy I see for about $400. A decent aftermarket stock with bipod, a good adjustable trigger, and aftermarket barrel will get you pretty well set, even with the polymer trigger housings Ruger uses these days. If you can find an older used gun with an aluminum trigger housing I would start with that.

I have built up several Ruger 10/22's they are fun and fantastic guns to have fun with. I suggest going to "Rimfire Central" forum on line and do some research also check out there ultimate 10/22 section. On that note most of my 10/22's were sent to Randy at Connecticut Precision Chambering I think his web site is CTPrecision.org. If you want a real shooter pick up an aftermarket barrel from one of the many barrel company's like Green Mountian barrel co. Then send the barrel and action of your 10/22 to CPC and order his full tune up pkg. look to CPC web site for a full explanation of what a full tune up is. When you get it back your 10/22 will shoot dime size holes at 50 yards. Just a side note order the aftermarket barrel in a long length then let Randy at CPC know what length barrel you want 16" 18" etc and he will cut it to the length you want and re-crown the barrel... Happy shooting!

I've thought several times about "building" a "custom" 10-22. Then I shoot one of my Marlin 22s and dismiss the idea. All of the 22 Marlins I've owned shoot as well as I need (and considerably better than the standard 10-22s I've owned).

But I still might "build" a 10-22 some day. Just for the fun of it. I would probably buy a used 22, buy a bull barrel, some trigger parts, some sort of a stock (perhaps even a partially finished one), and go to town.

I sold my Marlin 955ss about a year ago and bought a Colt AR.22 I had no expectations of this being a accurate rifle, just a fun plinker. That said at 75 yards I can accurately keep shots at 1 inch or below using CCI ammo bipod & sandbags. I have a Blackhawk bi-pod and a 24 power Centerpoint scope sitting on top of it. Nikon one piece scope mount and aftermarket rubberized grips, I also outfitted it with a few pieces of Magpul furniture. This is without question my favorite plinker ! Ive done nothing to the factory mechanics of this rifle. It gets cleaned every time its used. I know better can be had, however im pretty happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back