WARNING FROM THE AAA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get rid of Ethanol altogether.

OR at least give us the choice of 87 Octane E0.

Ethanol is garbage when mixed with gasoline.
If your vehicle is not made for ethonal it will ruin alot of parts.

I agree with you guys above ^^..A scam founded in corrupt organisations that probably costs more in energy than it actually produces. Insanity.

Is anyone here regularly using any kind of researched additive to help combat the ill effects of 10% ethanol, over time?

I have never seen the E15 here in the U.S. I believe the video is roughly 2 years old as I have viewed it in the past ~then!

I am sure the auto manufactures have gotten together and asked the EPA to hold off until they can get ready to equip their fuel systems to handle the E15.

Though, several auto mfg's have already equipped some of their system to handle E85(FLEX FUEL), they'd need time to equip every single vehicle/engine/fuel system in their lineup!

Just did my spring small engine gas can fill of Shell Prem Nitro+ - they advertise it as being ethanol free. Dumped the 6 month old Shell Prem into the Sonata. I have a 5 gallon reserve for the emergency generator.
The Nitro is a $0.75 per gallon premium in Canada. Nitro US gallon price is $5.15
Could be my imagination but everytime I do that, the car feels a little smoother and downshifts less. I usually use regular Esso fuel (Exxon).

Last edited:
Yup... my Hyundai Owners Manuals advise against the use of anything over E10 as well.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Yup... my Hyundai Owners Manuals advise against the use of anything over E10 as well.

As does my new 2015 Altima!

If you run E10 you've surely "accidentally" gotten E80+ a few times in the past couple years due to phase separation. Kills my cars and engines and it will kill yours. Do my local gas stations around me have junk UGST though Many are NEW tanks?

Only takes a small % H2O (Ethanol being pumped into your car.

Get a ford with a Flex-fuel Greenleaf?

PLEASE READ THIS WHITE PAPER:

http://nationalpetroleum.net/Ethanol-Water-Phase-Separation-facts.pdf

Last edited:
Comment 1: To those who haven't seen an E15 pump, you likely don't live in corn country. They are showing up in a few more locations here than there were a year ago, and I suspect the trend will continue. The only reason the EPA and everyone else says that the fuel is OK in cars 2001 and up is that the oldest car they tested.

Comment 2: If your car was made after the late 80's, the fuel system was designed to handle fuels up to 10% ethanol. We've had E10 here for 25 years or so, and I've never had a car that was designed for E10 have problems with it. Lower gas mileage yes, but nothing else. OPE designers get away with blaming ethanol for their use of cheap components in their fuel systems. Again, they've had 25+ years to get their stuff together to deal with it...

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
Comment 1: To those who haven't seen an E15 pump, you likely don't live in corn country. They are showing up in a few more locations here than there were a year ago, and I suspect the trend will continue. The only reason the EPA and everyone else says that the fuel is OK in cars 2001 and up is that the oldest car they tested.

Comment 2: If your car was made after the late 80's, the fuel system was designed to handle fuels up to 10% ethanol. We've had E10 here for 25 years or so, and I've never had a car that was designed for E10 have problems with it. Lower gas mileage yes, but nothing else. OPE designers get away with blaming ethanol for their use of cheap components in their fuel systems. Again, they've had 25+ years to get their stuff together to deal with it...

All true......But it does not make ethanol in gasoline any less of a fraud foisted on the public but corn country politicians. It doesn't make the air cleaner, it doesn't save use money.......It doesn't even net us anymore fuel, given the energy it take to produce. On second thought.....Fraud isn't a strong enough word......Scam. Ethanol is a scam.

Originally Posted By: Danno
Just did my spring small engine gas can fill of Shell Prem Nitro+ - they advertise it as being ethanol free. Dumped the 6 month old Shell Prem into the Sonata. I have a 5 gallon reserve for the emergency generator.
The Nitro is a $0.75 per gallon premium in Canada. Nitro US gallon price is $5.15
Could be my imagination but everytime I do that, the car feels a little smoother and downshifts less. I usually use regular Esso fuel (Exxon).

Ultramar 91 octane is also ethanol free and on Thursdays isn't that much more expensive than regular. Can't say I've ever run it my car though, only in the OPE and toys.

CNN, Fox, and Daily Mail couldn't come up with a more clickbait title if you gave them all the money in the world. Good job OP.

On a different note, I'm getting reallllly good MPG on 89 from this one gas station, and I have no indication that it's E0, but I'm afraid to try 87 or go to any other gas station, because I can get 43mpg highway even though the car's only rated for 36.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: Danno

Ultramar 91 octane is also ethanol free and on Thursdays isn't that much more expensive than regular. Can't say I've ever run it my car though, only in the OPE and toys.

No Ultramars in my neighbourhood Northern Ontario - now owned by Valero iirc.

One thing I can say is that, my stock '80 Firebird FORMULA in my signature has run on E10 since we've had it here in NY State and it runs as good or better than ever!

Horse 123, if you are buying 89 octane in MN, it has 10% ethanol. Only Premium 91 octane is sold and labeled as non-oxygenated fuel here, and only at some gas stations. The pump, by law, has a large white label telling you its only for use in collector cars, watercraft, atv's and other OPE equipment. Nobody polices what it gets used in, but the labels will be there if its non-oxy in MN - it helps justify the much higher selling price...

In terms of ethanol being good or bad, I'll just state I feel its bad policy, but its here (and has been for a long time for some of us).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back