Best vw502 oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've searched around and what not but I'm just curious as to what really is everyone's opinion on the "BEST" motor oil for the vw spec required for Audi and VW? A lot of people say Mobil 1 0w40, GC (which is slowly becoming extinct), castrol 0w40 (haven't found much in this oil), pennzoil 5w40 euro, redline, amsoil, RP, motul, pentosin, liqui/lubro moly, and for fun RT6 as well. let me know what you guys think, if I missed something feel free to let me know. Just wondering what people's opinions are on what's the best. Regardless of price.

Since you asked for opinions, to me definition of best =

a) meets MB 229.5 spec (which is more stringent than VW 502.00 spec)
b) is readily available
c) doesn't cost an arm and a leg

M1 0w-40, Edge 0w-40, and PPE 5w-40 all meet the above criteria. I consider them all 'best' and equivalent to each other.

Originally Posted By: 02s4audi
What do people think about the Mobil 1 racing 0w50?
https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-racing-oil

Other than it saying "Mobil 1 Racing™ 0W-30 and 0W-50 were developed specifically for racing engines and are not recommended for street use", I'm sure it's a great oil.

What is the spec again for your Audi? If there are none and you have a racing engine in the car, then it will be fine.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Since you asked for opinions, to me definition of best =

a) meets MB 229.5 spec (which is more stringent than VW 502.00 spec)
b) is readily available
c) doesn't cost an arm and a leg

M1 0w-40, Edge 0w-40, and PPE 5w-40 all meet the above criteria. I consider them all 'best' and equivalent to each other.

What he said ^^^^^^^^

I was just getting people's opinions and saw some thread in that 0w50 and got off track. Sorry guys.

I'm pretty sure that you've received the answer you're looking for in just about every other thread you started here. M1 0W-40 is the absolute bestest VW502.00 oil available.

I also see that you're bombarding the folks over at Audizine with question after question that has been answered multiple times before. The crowd over there won't be nearly as nice when they tire of your repeated questions, as they are a younger and far less mature bunch as compared to BITOG. Just a warning.

Like I said in one of your other threads on this topic, Mobil 1 0w40 has a long a storied history of being one of the best performing, easy to get & inexpensive oils for most VWAG engines.

I, for one, would not worry about meeting VW 502.00 for a 13 year old Audi. Mobil 1 0w40's history of performance in engines preceeding and postceeding yours stands on its own merit regardless of manufacturer's approval.

Originally Posted By: 02s4audi
I've searched around and what not but I'm just curious as to what really is everyone's opinion on the "BEST" motor oil for the vw spec required for Audi and VW? A lot of people say Mobil 1 0w40, GC (which is slowly becoming extinct), castrol 0w40 (haven't found much in this oil), pennzoil 5w40 euro, redline, amsoil, RP, motul, pentosin, liqui/lubro moly, and for fun RT6 as well. let me know what you guys think, if I missed something feel free to let me know. Just wondering what people's opinions are on what's the best. Regardless of price.

RT6 doesn't actually meet VW 502, it just performs extremely well where VW 502 is called for.

I'm not sure what oil is actually the best 502 oil, but M1 0w40 is excellent oil and easy to find, that is why I recommend it.

Amsoil EFM High Saps
Motul 8100 X-Cess,
Redline are good oils,

but, Mobil 1 and GC 0w40's look better financially for most of these applications.

Originally Posted By: wildmanrandall
Amsoil EFM High Saps
Motul 8100 X-Cess,
Redline are good oils,

but, Mobil 1 and GC 0w40's look better financially for most of these applications.

The Motul in your first list being the only one that has actual 502 approval of course.

Mobil1 0w-40 is what I use. Excellent motor oil qualities, widely available and decently priced. I will sometimes buy Belgian or German Castrol if it's on sale at Autozone. I consider both to be great oils.

I've had mixed luck with X-Cess on my FSI engined GTI and relatively poor luck with Specific 505.01/502.00. My UOAs for both are on this forum, and one with X-Cess from my MINI as well.

I'm halfway through an OCI on X-Max 0w-40 now, hopefully it'll fare better.

I'm a big fan of Motul oils in Euro cars, but my last 5 or 6 UOAs with their products haven't been stellar. These FSI cars are probably much harder on oils than your 2.7T, though, so you'd probably see good results with any of them (and they all have the right specs).

Of all those, in Motul's product line, the X-Max is "best" with its ester base. They're app within a dollar or so a liter of each other, so I'd probably go with it out of app of them if wanting to try the brand.

--Matt

Last edited:
I've only really seen Mobil 1, or any quality synthetic for that matter, to be so reasonably priced in the U.S. Over here, it's close to $15 a liter, which isn't exactly cheap.

That being said, with so many spec approvals and FF approvals, the oil is hard to beat. Solid add pack, decent TBN and a 0W to start off with. You can't beat that with a stick.

I have just switched to Amsoil EFL in both my S4 and A4. Since the S4 has an oil temp gauge I can see that my temps are ~25 degrees cooler than running AFL and I didn't need a mid or low saps oil. The fact that it is much cheaper too is nice. I usually get 2 cases of 12 and am a preferred customer it ends up being ~$63 per case plus shipping and tax of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back