Anyone conceal carry a large frame revolver?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My hiking/packing/fishing and part time summer work for the forest service (open carry) gun is a 4" Ruger Redhawk in 45 colt and was wondering if anyone concealed carried a large frame revolver? If so what type of holster? Thanks.

I used to carry a 6" Colt Python in a shoulder holster. It was bulky and something I never got accustomed to. The gun was just to heavy and large to keep concealed.

Eventually I sold the Python and started carrying a Sig P228 and never looked back.

Originally Posted By: Blaze
My hiking/packing/fishing and part time summer work for the forest service (open carry) gun is a 4" Ruger Redhawk in 45 colt and was wondering if anyone concealed carried a large frame revolver? If so what type of holster? Thanks.

Great choice! I have a Ruger Redhawk 44 magnum with 4.25 inch barrel. I occasionally load it with 44 specials and carry it in the colder months when I am wearing a heavy jacket to cover my holster. I carry it with 300 grain soft point corbon ammo when I camp in bear country in northern Maine. My holster for it is a simply rugged pancake holster. I cannot recommend simply rugged holsters enough. They are very comfortable, well made and conceal very well. I have one for almost every gun I own now and they are great. The website is www.simplyrugged.com

I have a GP100 4" that I have carried in a Galco Fletch. It works well but will only conceal under a jacket or sweatshirt. The Fletch rides high and tight to the body and is comfortable.

Carry a GP100 in a camera bag which I found at a second hand store, total concealed and cheap. Rangers have asked what camera I carry.
I tell them "it's a point and shoot"

Smoky

Last edited:
I have on rare occasion carried my S&W model 19-3(the original Combat Magnum) with a 4" barrel in a leather OWB holster and either a jacket or large sports shirt over it. But it is honestly just way too heavy to carry for any extended period of time.

Originally Posted By: Blaze
Ended up ordering the Simply Rugged Pancake Holster. Thanks all!

Your welcome! Let us know how you like it when it comes in!

S&W 586, 6" Barrel with Shoulder Harness 'cause it's a lot of iron.

Sometimes I use a belt holster with a wide belt but it is not as comfortable as the Shoulder Harness.

I carry a Super Blackhawk Hunter .44 magnum 7.5 inch with a Bushnell Elite sitting on top of it in a Kodiak leather chest harness in deer season.. No, no way to conceal that beast..

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
I carry a Super Blackhawk Hunter .44 magnum 7.5 inch with a Bushnell Elite sitting on top of it in a Kodiak leather chest harness in deer season.. No, no way to conceal that beast..

Whoaa, Otis, you just made my day!
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1

Whoaa, Otis, you just made my day!
grin2.gif

I like to chew on a cigar and squint a lot also..

I used a Safariland paddle style holster to carry a Ruger Security Six .357 - a beautiful gun, super accurate, built like a tank, stainless steel with 4 inch barrel. A gun that size on me is only concealable with a loose fitting a jacket.

Last edited:
Nope, did see a guy open carry a raging bull 454 casull once here. Think they use those for wild boar but we aint got any of them in kansas i dont think lol.

001.jpg

My SP101 (carry gun) looks anemic next to the Redhawk. Ruger does build a heck of a strong 45 colt that can handle heavy 45 colt loads too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back