Best oil for AR15 lubricant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Blown, what is your issue with lubrication? If you lube an AR generously with lube, it is less likely to jam. The design is such that it is practically impossible to over lube the AR as it will throw off any excess lube that it doesn't need. No one is saying the Vickers lube way is the way of the future. He was just proving a point. If any excess lube puts pressure on the bolt, it will QUICKLY dissipate as the excess lube is thrown off the bolt.

My point comes from documented research. The Army put together an engineering team to figure out why M249's where failing in combat. They found out it was excessive lubrication getting into the chambers and decreasing the friction that results as the cartridge case obturates and seals against the chamber. This friction and "locking" action places a lot of the rearward force upon the chamber instead of the weaker bolt. You get lubrication in there and that friction goes away and DOUBLES the force seen by the bolt face. Upwards of 6000+ lbf on M855A1 ammunition currently fielded whereas the bolt should see only about 3000 lbf in a properly lubricated gun. That excessive force may not break the bolt on the first round, or several mags worth if the bolt is in good shape. But these bolts develop weakness at the cam pin hole and lugs adjacent to the extractor and you have no idea how marginal a bolt is once you are issued a rifle. Marginal bolt + double the force = something bad. Why you think that's a good risk to take for the sake of wasting a bunch of lubricant is beyond me. The Army issued guidance about using more lube than specified in the TM's under very specific conditions. But like many things that guidance was quickly taken out of context. I dragged my rifle all over Ft. Benning and we almost never had enough CLP to go around. My rifle didn't jam and it was filthy with coarse grit that really locks up actions compared to that talc stuff overseas. My issue is that IT IS A BOLD FACED LIE to state that you cannot over lubricate an AR. Do you think Vickers knows more than US Army Technical Center for Explosives which published the safety bulletin? Do you think Vickers even knows the bulletin exists?

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Military bolts are subjected to a high pressure test round (one shot of M197) of 70000 PSI (+ or - 3500 PSI) I highly doubt that any excess lube comes anywhere close to the pressure of firing a M197 round. And even if it did, the pressures would drop substantially after only 2-3 rounds as the lube gets thrown out of the bolt/carrier.

This is were a shallow understanding of the operating principals in play works against you. First, that 70 ksi test round is only a bit higher than M855A1. Second, that higher pressure means the case locks to the chamber that much harder which is why the bolt face doesn't not see much of an increase in force as you would expect. This shows in the data between M855 and M855A1, M855A1 operates about 8000 psi higher than M855 but only results in a very small increase in force against bolt face. Second, military CLP has additives that make it very persistent, it simply doesn't go away in only "2-3 rounds" (if it did do you think the M249 would have issues too?) and the fact that the excess lube gets thrown onto the rounds loaded in the magazine which in turn carry it right back into the chamber.

Quote:
Not to mention that the M16/M4 bolts have a lifespan of about 5K to 8K rounds on average and are replaced during weapon maintenance.

That's great, next time I'm in the arms vault I'll be sure to look around and see where it's documented on the rifles how many rounds have been fired. Seriously, do you think we keep track how many bullets a given rifle has fired? Do you know when bolts are replaced in our rifles? When they break. That's why I kept a spare bolt, firing pin, pack of gas rings, and extractor kit in my gear. Every once in a while we get a by-serial-number list of which weapons to send up for higher level inspection and maintenance, that list has nothing to do with round counts as we often send up rifles than may have seen only a few hundred rounds through them in years.

Last edited:
Pretty much this thread has gone uber goober. Run a couple decent lubes in your semi-auto AR and run it fairly wet, and you won't have any problems.

Some guy was poking fun at me at the range after a tiny amount of lube was seen at the upper- lower junction.........what an ash this guy was being........turns out he knew nothing of AR's he was just a dry gun nut. What he didn't know I had just gone through over 500 rounds. Yes, my DD runs great.

yep, lube all moving parts but don't overlube. All that can happen is that more dirt is accumulated or, well, nothing.
And imagine if bolts would break if lube got into the chamber? Not acceptable, since lube almost certainly gets in there. But do not lube the chamber on purpose though, you also have a brass case for a reason.

Originally Posted By: BlownF150
What the [censored] makes you think you know anything about my experience?

Because you make it painfully obvious you have so little of it. An Internet commando who like to argue with people, nothing more.

Quote:
I did look it up. All I could find was the data showing additional case loading due to chamber lubrication in the M-240.

Do you have a more specific link relating to the AR-15?

Thanks.

No, no you didn't. Because if you did you would have noticed it stated the M249 and noticed the test setup on the bolt. Also the abstract at the beginning mentioned the M16. Twice. Can't get anymore specific than that but it only matters if you really read the info.

Actually, I DID look it up. I have DTIC access from my previous assignments and a CAC card...and much of my team's work is on DTIC (but a bit esoteric). Forgive my typo, the M240 was part of the inventory in a previous command. I recognize that this research was conducted on the M249 with M855 ammo.

What I got was a powerpoint presentation. Not a technical paper, but a summation of research into case failure, not stoppages in general, but the case failure problem.

And the powerpoint was very specific on these points:
1. Failures of this type are not occurring when firing the same ammunition from the M16/M4 (slide 2)
2. Testing shows NO increase in pressure from lubrication outside the chamber.
3. The key problem is chamber lubrication that reduces friction of brass/steel or steel/steel.
4. This was all done on the M249.

So, you see, the issue isn't my integrity (I did read it, twice now), or my reading comprehension, but the specious extrapolation of this test on the effects of chamber lubrication in the M249, which leads to excess bolt pressure and case bulge, into the question at hand: AR-15 lubrication.

The authors of this powerpoint were careful to point out that the M4/M16 wasn't experiencing this problem. Further, the test set up was on a different rifle, the M249 and the abstract was careful to distinguish them, to avoid extrapolation into M4/M16 issues.

It might be reasonable to extrapolate that lubricant in the chamber of an AR would lead to increased bolt pressure, but lubricating the BCG is a different matter.

Your subsequent responses in this thread are an interesting blend of insecurity and arrogance. Long-winded rants on how experienced you are, and how you run a range, don't add to your credibility, they detract. It's clear that you consider yourself an expert. Perhaps you are. Perhaps not.

But I asked a simple question that you've yet to answer directly: do you have any technical research that relates directly to the AR-15?

Well...do you?

I ask because I am interested in learning...not in reading about how experienced you are, or any other chest-thumping, but in reading objective, technical analysis.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
I did look it up. All I could find was the data showing additional case loading due to chamber lubrication in the M-240.

1. Failures of this type are not occurring when firing the same ammunition from the M16/M4 (slide 2)
3. The key problem is chamber lubrication that reduces friction of brass/steel or steel/steel.

So, you see, the issue isn't my integrity (I did read it, twice now), or my reading comprehension, but the specious extrapolation of this test on the effects of chamber lubrication in the M249, which leads to excess bolt pressure and case bulge, into the question at hand: AR-15 lubrication.

The authors of this powerpoint were careful to point out that the M4/M16 wasn't experiencing this problem. Further, the test set up was on a different rifle, the M249 and the abstract was careful to distinguish them, to avoid extrapolation into M4/M16 issues.

Your subsequent responses in this thread are an interesting blend of insecurity and arrogance. Long-winded rants on how experienced you are, and how you run a range, don't add to your credibility, they detract. It's clear that you consider yourself an expert. Perhaps you are. Perhaps not.

But I asked a simple question that you've yet to answer directly: do you have any technical research that relates directly to the AR-15?

Well...do you?

I ask because I am interested in learning...not in reading about how experienced you are, or any other chest-thumping, but in reading objective, technical analysis.

Very well said Astro 14. I surmised much the same thing. An AR-15 is just that. It's not an M-249, and what encompasses one, does not hold true to the other. In short Blown F-150 has provided zero credible information that proves over lubing will cause ANY issues with the AR-15 platform..... Let alone any SAFETY issues. In short, he's chest thumping, and in the process blowing a lot of hot air.

I had a few stoppages this past weekend in my DMPS LR-308 (OK, not technically an AR, but similar) that were due to insufficient lubrication. Springs are all within specs, rifle was clean, gas path was clean, and you could see from the way the bolt hit the side of the cartridge that the bolt wasn't cycling all the way back. The ammo was Federal XM-80. Decent quality ammo. Magpul and factory DPMS mags were used.

A drop of CLP smeared on the BCG rails restored function perfectly.

It was insufficiently lubricated.

Now, I've not had the same issue with my AR-15 (a short barrel M-4 version from Armalite). But I am more careful with that rifle to keep it a bit on the wet side (not dripping, but "generous" as the rifle manufacturer recommends) and I do carry CLP in my range bag for just this reason. I shoot M193 from that rifle (because I'm on an indoor range).

Quote:
What I got was a powerpoint presentation. Not a technical paper, but a summation of research into case failure, not stoppages in general, but the case failure problem

You didn't look hard enough. Two pdf documents, one covering bolt forces and the other covers deformation of the cartridge case.

Quote:

1. Failures were occurring in M855A1 service ammo but both M855 and M855A1 showed similar pressure profiles and temperature was ruled out as the force applied under heavy lubrication conditions was 10 times the difference for normal lubrication tests under temperature conditioning.
2. The test data clearly showed an average increase of ~3000 lbf upon the face of the bolt in the modified M16 test rifle.
3. The key problem is that excess lubrication reduces friction that should buffer the bolt face.
4. Wrong, testing was conducted on a modified and instrumented M16 rifle with a bolt modified to have the same bearing surface for the case head as would be present in a M249 SAW.

Quote:

It might be reasonable to extrapolate that lubricant in the chamber of an AR would lead to increased bolt pressure, but lubricating the BCG is a different matter.

Well...do you?

Until you figure out how to properly search the DTIC database you will continue to fail in whatever point you think you are trying to make here. Abstract from the document you should be reading:

Quote:
In this research, the effects that the level of lubrication has on the case mouth pressure and bolt force of a M16 are quantified. The case mouth pressure and resulting bolt force were measured for M855 and M855A1 cartridges as a function of the level of lubrication in a modified M16. The research found that the level of lubrication on the ammunition, and specifically the lubrication between the cartridge and the chamber of the weapon, greatly changes the level of force on the bolt face. The average difference between the conditions of heavy and normal lubrication was found to be 3000 lb. This force is a linear function with the peak pressure of the cartridge case and the peak forces on the bolt occur prior to the unlocking of the bolt and projectile exit. The results of the experiments are presented and the ramifications of the force on the M855 cartridge case are discussed.

My responses in this thread are based on education and reading the PROPER sources which you have not done. Funny that you also made my point for me about the difference between PROPERLY lubrication the AR vs what Vickers did and what many do by applying so much lubricant that it wets the BCG. The M16/M4 TM clearly states that the only part of the BCG that needs even enough oil to leave a film that can be pushed with a finger tip are the rails which are the only parts of the BCG than contact the receiver. What you did with your .308 AR is considered PROPER lubrication. I'll remind you and anyone else that I have never recommended an AR should be run dry.

Last edited:
Quote:
Because you make it painfully obvious you have so little of it. An Internet commando who like to argue with people, nothing more.

Vastly more than you have so I'm curious where that puts you. Probably in the same ignorant group that uses automotive oil as a firearm lubricant....
laugh.gif

Vastly more than you have so I'm curious where that puts you. Probably in the same ignorant group that uses automotive oil as a firearm lubricant.

You're an absolute legend in your own mind.

Blownf150 - Again, you cite a paper that I can't find. Your PowerPoint link doesn't support your statements.

Would you please link that paper, I would like to read it out of personal and professional curiosity.

One bit of advice: you may find, with another decade or more of military experience, that condescension is not nearly as effective as politeness.

You have no idea of the experience of anyone here, so your claims of superiority are not known and you shouldn't make that assumption. Your tone, therefore, undermines your points.

Last edited:
well I just got my Amazon delivery with some G96 synthetic gun oil and TW25b synthetic grease. since my rifle is brand new I will oil the BCG liberally inside and out and let it gravity drain a few days and wipe it off and reinstall.Then a touch of grease on the rails and it should be fine.

Any suggestions? Do you guys wipe down the outside of the rifle with oil or leave it dry?

Last edited:
The Bolt Carrier Group is the main part group to keep heavily lubricated. Especially if the weapon is brand new. you will find by keeping everything nice and wet with lube, the gun will clean up much easier as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back