break cleaner on guns ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
Vice versa....is nail polisher in Ed's red any better on "Mattel pal" :p

Yes because it is actually sold by Brownells as a gun specific cleaner, and Brownells is one of the largest firearms parts/accessories/gunsmith supply sellers in America.

For all the fears of using brake cleaner on plastics and wood I will say this ...

I've never seen it harm wood. It will certainly be detrimental to lacquer and varnish finishes, but not the wood itself. Yes, that's just a technical objection. I advise against using it on or near such surface treatments. The wood itself is not harmed at all, but the finishes may well be.

As for plastics, I've yet to come across any plastic that non-chlorinated brake cleaner has any effect on whatsoever. That is not to say it cannot happen. Ever notice that many products such as these state to "test on a small area" before full use? I fully realize that the onus is upon me in terms of any damage is my fault alone; I am willing to take that risk. I have been using N/C brake cleaner for YEARS on guns and never had a metal or plastic issue. When I'm done cleaning with brake cleaner, I wipe them down again and then properly lube the guns. I use WD-40 for long term storage (rust being the number one concern), or a lube such as Hoppes or RemOil for daily cyclic operation.

My experience has been that N/C brake cleaner does as well as most any other spray gun-specific cleaner, with similar cleaning results, and no adverse effects (except wood finishes). Since my primary guns are ARs and Glocks for most of my shooting, these are what I have the most exposure to in terms of using brake cleaner, although I have used it on nearly everything I own at one time or another. The "plastic" (polymer) parts on Glocks and ARs seems completely unaffected, even after years and years of exposure to N/C brake cleaner.

As always, YMMV.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back