Oil of choice for tractors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
10w30
15w40
SAE30

Delo or Rotella?

Or any other great diesel oils that you can mention....

I typically run Delo 15w40, but I'm just getting an idea of any other better than good but not obviously the best you have been content with in your equipment.

MF 271 Perkins 2wd. Delo 15w40
Ford 4000 same
Ford 601 diesel same

I run 2 of my 3 tractors year around - I feed cattle - so I use Rotella 5-40 syn for the winter start ups. Plus, its cost is low for 500 hour changes. I have a 120 hp Massey and the perkins prefers a 40 wt oil - I don't know about using an expensive oil like the previously mentioned 4 stroke small engine ??? AMsoil when you are talking many GALLONS unless you plan to sample and try to go MANY hours.

Last edited:
Ran Rotella and/or Delo 15W-40 for the last 10 years on my Kubota DT3000 32hp. Never any issues at all.

I tried 15W40 one winter and it made starting a bit more of a stuggle than I liked, even in just -10C. So now I'm back to RT6 5W40 and it starts pretty much like normal at -10, -15C.
Next up is to go to a synthetic tractor fluid, as I get a little hydraulic pump noise until it warms up.

I use Rotella 15W40 in all 4 of my full size tractors. It's good quality and comparatively inexpensive.
I've never had an oil related issue with the 8N that I use to bush hog the field, even in 100+ temperatures. And I've never had an issue starting my 2N in sub-zero temperatures to go out and plow the snow from driveway, even with the vintage 6 volt system.

Thanks!

Good to know that Ive been fine with running either of the two. Mainly the Delo 15w40 yr around.

15w40 is a fine choice for your climate. The only reason I am running synthetic now is because I bought a whole bunch of 5w40 on clearance.

I have a massey fergusson 188 4 cylinder diesel tractor that was too much blowby when the engine is running. The tractor mostly runs on 20w50 engine oil. What i can do to reduce the blowby i that is possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back