T-304 and T-306 stainless steel

Status
Not open for further replies.
The difference is 2. Seriously, they are similar, (now quoting the Jorgenson steel book)"except that 304 is modified by lowered carbon content. This provides good resistance to corrosion in welded construction where subsequent heat treatment is not practible."

They are 18-8 chromium-nickel with the 302 having .12 max percent carbon, with the 304 having .08 max percent carbon. Everything else being the same.

Thanks, MAJA!
patriot.gif
Just out of curiosity, what is the Jorgenson steel book you mentioned?

quote:

Originally posted by Babaloo:
Thanks, MAJA!
patriot.gif
Just out of curiosity, what is the Jorgenson steel book you mentioned?

Maja refered to 302 and 304, not the 304 and 306 you asked about. Where is the 306 spec from?

Its "Earl M. Jorgensen Co." book, which is a steel and aluminum reference book containing sizes, weights, analysis, applications, mechanical properties, etc. I have an old book that I use for reference at work. They have a website which I will try to attach, although I havent visited it.

http://www.emjmetal.com/emjonlinenew/

OOPS, just caught the 304/306 mistake I made. Sorry for the confusion. My book does not list a T-306. Are you sure its 306 and not 316?

MAJA, sorry to butt in, but my book does not reference a T-306 either. There is a 304L stainless that only has .03% carbon. Also within the austenetic stainless steels (300 series) it seems like the higher number steels seem to generally contain more nickel. mikeyoilnutt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back