2010 Jetta TDI, 7788 miles, Amsoil Euro 5W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the latest UOA from my Jetta TDI. The iron is still higher than most other 2010 Jetta TDI's from other users. This has been going on almost since new. I am starting to get concerned about it. Any comments or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Holy iron ppm, Batman, is that normal for VW engines?
Compared to typical Toyota or Honda engines, which might wear at around 1 ppm per thousand miles, this is ridiculously high.

And I thought GM engines had high iron ppm's. Wow.

How come diesel engines almost always return very high wear numbers in UOAs yet are regarded as being a lot more durable and longer lasting than gasoline engines?
Even more so for these small VW diesels that always seem to return a pretty poor looking UOA when it comes to wear metals but the same engine will still be running good at 200,000 miles. Whereas say if a VW 2.0 gas engine was bringing up the same wear metal figues they would warn you that something is about to blow up and it needs looking at.
They seem to average wear numbers about 5 times higher than gas engines yet somehow seem to last even longer.
Can anyone explain this?

Just curious, what sort of fuel economy are people seeing with these newer VW diesels that have the advanced emissions systems? I had a buddy with a 2003 VW diesel who was getting close to 50 MPG on long trips.

Try a different oil. One with higher viscosity and higher Phosphorous content. This is low-SAPS Amsoil? Looks pretty weak.

Which Amsoil Euro formula is it, specifically?

I personally don't care much for the Aluminum or Iron levels in your sample history, they're higher than mine were at that mileage (and I have the notorious PD diesel engine - at least your valvetrain is fully rollerized).

Have you tried any actual VW certified 507.00 oils or considered a MB 229.51 oil such as Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W40? You are well out of warranty so throw the doors wide to other offerings, but make sure they are DPF friendly.

The oil is Amsoil AELQT 5W30. They do not make an Low SAPS 5W40 that I am aware of. The first two oil changes were from the dealer Castrol LL5W30. I am thinking of changing to another brand to see if it makes any difference. As far as mileage goes, it averages 45ish on the highway and mid-high 30's in town which it does see a lot of. The older 1999-2003 VW diesels did get better mileage than the newer ones. Hopefully my next oil change is in line or better than where I am at now.

That's actually standard iron level for a TDI, Seen them up to 100ppm Fe. I would switch to M1 ESP ; I've seen better wear numbers, I'm sure the moly and boron ESP has helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back