Pistol Distance: how far are you shooting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, live targets generally don't stand still waiting for you to aim, so...

8-{D>

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
You'd be amazed at what a steady hand can do with a Ruger bull barrel .22 if you adjust the sights.

^^^This. I can keep it on the paper at 100 yds fairly regularly with my 5.5" bull barrel 22/45, and I can routinely break 4" clays at 50. My glocks and Smith's are held to about 25 yds most of the time, occasionally venturing out to 50; with fairly poor results. The majority of my practice is typically 15 yards and less. Simply because that's where most shootings occur statistically. My favorite drill is the Mozambique at varying ranges. I've gotten some weird looks while practicing that one at little more than arms length.lol...

I am still working on my handgunning skills, so I practice at between 2 and 5 yards. If I can't hit my target satisfactory at that range, extending it further isn't going to help. So that's where I am at.

25 meters and into 2 meters approx. Sometimes I will take it out to 100m for fun. Once we tried out to 300+ yards with a spotter. Usually using 9mm.

With my 9mm Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact I can hit vitals at 30 feet each time. The spread is no more than 3 inches when firing rapidly. I practice anywhere between 10 and 30 feet.

Originally Posted By: ROLEXrifleman
Just trying to get a quick snapshot of how far out you guys are going with your pistol shots.

When I qualify we go 3yd, 7yd, 10yd, 15yd.
As An instructor we go 25yd and 50yd
All with a Glocks in .40

While not bulls eye accurate at 50 I know I can get hits on a man size target with little effort.

how far out are you shooting?

Rolex, I saw your bolt gun thread, that is quite an impressive collection.

As for pistol distance, I would say that out to 25 yards is pretty standard here. I have seen some people push a G17 out to several hundred meters. I would like to try that one day. Check out this link below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMYD73YvqH4

Originally Posted By: Marco620
I shoot snub nose .22lr at 20-30ft and hit within a dime with ruger lcr .22. Its my carry gun

Now I feel ashamed. I will have to practice more.

I wonder how much marksmanship you can teach versus how much is just natural talent. I have seen people do things I don't think any amount of practice would help me do.

Out to 200 yds. I take a pistol with me to the high power bay sometimes when I'm playing around with the steel targets at 200 yds. My 10mm and I get along extremely well. :) I am quite reliable with my 9mm at that distance, too, but the 10 is better. My 45 and I will get reacquainted at that range after I re-barrel it.

For more regular 'practice' it's paper to 20-25 yds, rock chucks as far as 100, and cans, self-healers, rocks, twigs, and grasshoppers wherever I find them. :)

Bulwnkl - which 10mm are you shooting?

I am a big 10mm fan. But the only one I've got is a Glock 20C (on which I replaced the barrel, the compensation didn't make much difference to me)...I'm still looking for a good used S&W 1006...

It's an EAA Witness Elite Match which, despite the name, is not the competition version of that pistol. It is a single-action-only model, however. It's an extremely precise pistol; I'm very pleased with it.
I've tried to work with Glocks. They're inexpensive and seem durable, but they just don't shoot right for me. They _always_ hit too high when I'm point-shooting, and that doesn't work for me. The 1911, Hi Power, and CZ-75/Witness are what point well for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back