Pennzoil ultra platinum 0w-40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know pennzoil makes a European 5w-40 platinum version that is approved by vw and other euro companies. What about their ultra platinum (black bottle) 0w-49 made for the srt engines? Is this also approved by vw? If not, why isn't it? Because they already have a euro 5w-40?

Originally Posted By: 02s4audi
What about their ultra platinum (black bottle) 0w-49 made for the srt engines? Is this also approved by vw? If not, why isn't it?

Not approved by VW. Could it be approved? Not sure. It certainly couldn't be approved for some of the more stringent Euro mfg specs such as MB 229.5 due to Noack being way too high.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with it when you have PP Euro 5w-40.

Ok just wondered. Because they don't make an ULTRA euro according to website. And I hear the ultra is a difference from regular platinum

Pennzoil has been going back and forth with the naming of their Euro oil. Originally, there was Platinum Euro. Then some 5 years ago they renamed it to Ultra Euro, and then last year they changed back to Platinum Euro again, when in fact it is still the same product. Go figure. I've given up on trying to understand their (mis)marketing.

P1050641.jpg

Its true, Pennzoil Ultra 0w-40 has a NOACK=13%, not great, and is automatically disqualified from MB229.5 because of it. I think they require 10% or something. You could still run it, as its used straight up in IndyCars running 10,000 RPMs, yet why do it when there is Castrol or M1 0w-40 that will do the job cheaper and is qualified?

Fredfactory I posted my last reply without seeing yours. I am just wondering how the pennzoil euro stacks up to the others. I'm assuming it's got to be pretty equal?

Originally Posted By: 02s4audi
Lol is there oil better worse or equal to Mobil 0w-40 or gc or castrol 0w-40?

I consider Pennzoil Euro 5w-40 to be equal to M1 0w-40 and Castrol 0w-40 because all three essentially meet the same stringent Euro mfg specs.

According to everyone on here. Anything more than a shelf oil isn't worth getting. So I gave up on it. I may still try it. Idk yet. Very undecided about it.

When my dad bought his 2500HD Silverado with the 8.1L gas V8, he was using about 1 qt. every 1k miles. Chevy said this was normal, and for a large displacement V8 like that, it can be. He was running Kendall GT-1. Back then, I was an Amsoil fan, and recommended he switch to Amsoil. He did, and his consumption stopped. But today, I would not recommend Amsoil. I would recommend something like Rotella T6 or Delo LE instead. They are found at many more locations, cheaper, and the performance gap between Amsoil and the competition has shrunk considerably to the point where the $$ and the hunt to find it aren't worth it.

YMMV

If you're looking to run a Pennzoil product, I'd go with the Platinum 5w40. Lower NOACK and meets VW specs, though that technically won't matter for you, assuming the car in your screen name is the one in question.

If really wanting to use a Pennz product, the Pennz 0w-40 has been durability-tested in the 707 hp Dodge Hellcat engine. Its good enough.

My local autozone is the only place I've seen pennzoil euro and they have the ultra euro not the platinum with pure plus. That's why I selected that one.

They have the dark gray bottle with the label saying hyper on it or something like that. I didn't know they had a new formula.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back