Best AR-15 sights?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so my lower has been delivered and my completed upper is on the way and I should get it tomorrow. Now I am looking at sights. I do want to get an optics system but also want some "iron sights"as well. What sights do you all recommend?

What are you planning on doing with the rifle? Do you want sights that will work with other optics?

Adjustable aperture sights are great for precision work, but suck for fast shooting and are less durable than a simpler design.

Personally, I prefer LaRue for fixed rear sights and Troy for folding. Abut my needs may be different from yours.

BSW

If you're getting an optical sight I'd get Magpul MBUS irons. There may be other low cost options too. I wouldn't spend a lot.

Originally Posted By: Doog
The difference between a beer and your opinion is that I asked for a beer...

What sights do you all recommend?

I can't make a recommendation without expressing my opinion.

But I've never seen a set-up with both optics and iron sights where at least one of two was cumbersome or difficult to use.

My upper comes with the F-Marked front sight post. So I am not sure what rear sight to get. I'll probably use the iron sights for a while until I get a trijicon optic.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brian Barnhart
The difference between a beer and your opinion is that I asked for a beer...

What sights do you all recommend?

I can't make a recommendation without expressing my opinion.

But I've never seen a set-up with both optics and iron sights where at least one of two was cumbersome or difficult to use.

I thought you didn't care to express your opinion.

My upper comes with the F-Marked front sight post. So I am not sure what rear sight to get. I'll probably use the iron sights for a while until I get a trijicon optic.

With a magnified ACOG I would go (and have gone) with the Troy folder. It's out of your way but can be ready quickly. And the recessed windage adjustment means it's less likely to get out of zero.

BSW

What size target can you bull-size at any yardage? With whatever site?

That would be a start.

I just got done with an18" build, complete BCM upper purchased to simplify things. I have several scoped AR's and am content to just have irons on this for now.

I went with the Troy 'Dioptic' I think it's called. This one has the diamond shaped hole with a standard post in front. I saved a few $$ off fleabay and these ones don't fold down.

Now I just have to test it all out when I can.

Originally Posted By: totegoat
What size target can you bull-size at any yardage? With whatever site?

That would be a start.

English translation please. Gibberish baby talk makes no sense.

I got the Troy folding one off Amazon.

Thanks everyone!! I appreciate the help.
grin.gif

If you are going with an optic or red dot eventually, than you will want a foldable back up sight, commonly called a BUIS.

Magpul polymer is pretty low class. Yes they work, but I don't care for them. Magpul has two metal rear sights that are pretty darn nice (the MBUS Pro and MBUS Pro LR). The Troy micro's are my favorite folding sight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back