Kumho Solus KR21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a set on our 2011 Outback for past two years. Put 40K on them, and they will need replacing this fall. They are supposed to go 65K, but don't think they will make it. Performance-wise they have done well in rain and snow.

I had them on the olds, they sucked. did not last much over 20k. Loosy goosey I.E. floppy sidwalls, terrible handling. Perhaps on a light small car they might last longer. I replaced them with Falken Sincera SN-211's, much better tire.

Last edited:
They are good for the money for normal driving. Got a great deal on them for my old s10 (street tires). Good for commuting

I have them on my Echo. so far 40k miles and plenty of tread left. they surpassed the Falkens I had (30k) and work well - on a go-kart echo.

Never had a set but they seem to be pretty good tires. Parents had some KH16s as OE on a Chrysler minivan and they lasted quite well and were quieter than the TigerPaws they replaced them with.

They are not a bad tire but the 85K rating is very optimistic....they are about a 40K tire.

Originally Posted By: 007
Anyone have them. They look directional but the company site says the are symetric

They can be directional and symmetric at the same time. Symmetric means the same left to right across the tread, thats all.

Actually, I don't think they are directional. Look at tirerack.com 's image of them

Last edited:
Have 40K miles on two of them on my ZX2. Probably 30k of those miles have been on the front. Decent amount of tread left and performance is good for a small economy car.

Usually the KR21's are decent for the money but, don't last anywhere near their mileage rating. The KR21's also start out quite well out of the box but, their "performance" can often deteriorate quickly..."Performance" meaning, foul weather capabilities and decent(if not sporty) handling!

I used to recommend the KR21's frequently but, have now changed to other higher rated tires such as the Cooper CS5's or General Altimax RT43's(and others too). The KR21's are also an older design that have been eclipsed by newer tires that have come to market also at a very good prices themselves!

It you're not keeping your vehicle for a long time and just need to put on a decent tire...OR, if you need a tire to put on a vehicle that you'll be selling, then, buy'em but, ONLY if the price is right! Otherwise, there are better tire values/choices that will be more cost effective over the long haul.

Last edited:
I thought I read somewhere that Kumho will be soon releasing a new touring tire to replace the KR21.
EDIT- yes, they are replacing it this year.
http://www.moderntiredealer.com/channel/...umho-brand.aspx
Quote:
Solus TA11, a touring all-season tire in 44 sizes in 13-inch to 18-inch rim diameters, T speed rating, 70,000-mile tread wear warranty, replaces the Solus KR21, third quarter.

As noted above, the KR21 is supposedly a decent tire, but is getting to be an old design. Same with the Hankook H727. It's a good tire, but it's getting old enough now that newer designs are outpacing it.

I'll be interested to see what Kumho replaces it with.

Thanks stephen9666!
I too am interested in what Kumho has in store for this upcoming year! I am not in need of tires at the moment but, I am always interested in what is coming to market!

Current tires on the wife's SUV is KR21's. Only because they had a full set of 4 in size and was able to put them on right then instead of me returning later that day or next day for a couple others I was looking to get in size... I didn't want to return.
They seem fine (she says). Only in town stop & go and very low annual mileage usage. I'll probably have them replaced due to age and they'll have low miles as little as she drives.
I've heard they are okay up to around 50% tread (don't recall what after that - maybe traction, hardening?).

Originally Posted By: Errtt
Current tires on the wife's SUV is KR21's. Only because they had a full set of 4 in size and was able to put them on right then instead of me returning later that day or next day for a couple others I was looking to get in size... I didn't want to return.
They seem fine (she says). Only in town stop & go and very low annual mileage usage. I'll probably have them replaced due to age and they'll have low miles as little as she drives.
I've heard they are okay up to around 50% tread (don't recall what after that - maybe traction, hardening?).

Exactly, and your wife will be fine with them! They're fine for what she'll use them for and very nice on the highway as well. Very good when new up to about 1/2 tread(which could be 40K miles)! They're also fine out of the box and scored quite high when tested among their piers.

The KR21's did scored better than many name brand tires & private label tires. Some folks love'em and others had higher expectations of them and rightfully so considering KUMHO's claim!

I believe that the largest complaint that most folks have is, the tires short(er) lived life than the 80K miles that Kumho rates them for. Then, as they wore, their foul weather performance deteriorated quickly as well.

I've had tires that only lasted(25K-30K miles) but, their wet weather performance and handling was still OK and no broken belts or radial pull. So, I rated them as GOOD! But, I don't take my tires down to 2/32nds. I usually change around 3-4/32nds(sometimes 5/32nds) depending on how the tire has treated me!
smile.gif

For example: The Hankook Optima H727's had 5-6/32nd(34K miles) of tread but, had become noisy and chopped. But, still road & handled well. Noisy is a complaint with the H727's and 100K miles is not obtainable IMHO!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back