Saps content?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read about eruopean motor oils and different saps content. How do I know what would be good for my car? I have a 2.7 twin turbo Audi v6. Idk whether to worry about saps content or not? Basically I ask this because I see amsoil specifically has 3 European motor oils ranging from low saps to full saps.

AFAIK for the US and most of the world the recommended oil is Full SAPS due to fuel quality.

Originally Posted By: 02s4audi
I've read about eruopean motor oils and different saps content. How do I know what would be good for my car? I have a 2.7 twin turbo Audi v6. Idk whether to worry about saps content or not? Basically I ask this because I see amsoil specifically has 3 European motor oils ranging from low saps to full saps.

You need Full-SAPS:
VW502.00, MB 229.5, BMW LL-01.
All these specs are met by M1 0W40 and Castrol 0W40 which you can find in Wal-Mart!

SAPS are good for your engine. If you drive a diesel that burns oil they can be bad for your DPF.
They're not as much of a requirement in places with better quality fuel.

Hello! First post. Apologies if wrong place to ask in this thread. People "say" Full-SAPS might effect carbon build-up in certain (2.0T TSI GEN 3) engines. That "true"?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: whirldy
Hello! First post. Apologies if wrong place to ask in this thread. People "say" Full-SAPS might effect carbon build-up in certain (2.0T TSI GEN 3) engines. That "true"?

Thank you!

This is how you mitigate that problem:
1. Change it every 5K.
2. DO not use dealership Castrol 5W40. Buy Castrol 0W40 or M1 0W40 in Wal-Mart. They meet MB 229.5 (unlike Castrol 5W40) and they leave much less deposits in the engine.
3. You can use Mid-SAPS oils like I do now. I use Pentosin 5W40 which meets VW 502.00 and VW 505.01 as well as MB 229.51 (very important). I think that both M1 and Castrol 0W40 are better oils, but Pentosin is proven stout oil. If you live in bit warmer area, that might be good option. Bad thing is, it is $20 more expensive then M1 or Castrol 0W40 in Wal Mart.
4. If you live in California, then you might be able to use Low-SAPS oils which are very low in TBN, and cnnot take high sulfur gas in rest of 49 states. I treid M1 5W30 ESP three times, and TBN drops to 1.9 after 4K. Not confident that I could do 5K. However, California ha low sulfur gas, so it might do much better there.
EDIT: After you break in your engine, do not drive it like grandma! Once engine reaches proper temperature (oil, so after some 7-10miles) push it hard, that could help too.

Last edited:
^Thank you! How long do most drive with the "break-in" oil before they do their first drain?

Thanks!

^Thank you! How long do most drive with the "break-in" oil before they do their first drain?

Thanks!

I bought my cars used. Do not know, but personally I would change it at 5K at most, if not at 3K.

Thanks!

Only long enough to get home and change it. I know manufacturing is much better now and tolerances far improved but by the time I'm back home and everything is nice and hot I can still hear my mechanics teacher, Mr D Moss (SAE) telling the class in our first year how important proper break-in procedures were.
Oil and filter as soon as you get home, then at 100 miles, then at 500 miles, then at 1000 miles, and then every ... Depending on driving habits.
But when he learned his trade bearing scrapers were still commonplace!

So I do straight away, 500, 1000 and then whatever.

YMMV!

Originally Posted By: Olas

Whatever helps you sleep better at night.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

smile.gif

Suggestions?

Going to go with Full-SAPS

smile.gif

Suggestions?

That WAS my suggestion. I mean it in all seriousness. If the thought of some imaginary angry break-in wear particles chomping at your engine block is going to make you lose sleep at night, then just change it ASAP and stop worrying about it. Case closed. You can't put a price on good night's sleep.

If you're asking me what I am doing - I am waiting until the first OCI in the Q5, which happens to be at 5k miles.

Since that first service is free, I'll probably just let dealer use whatever they use. If it happens to be Castrol 5w-40, so be it. I'm at a point where I don't stress about engine oil as much as I once used to.
smile.gif

Since that first service is free, I'll probably just let dealer use whatever they use. If it happens to be Castrol 5w-40, so be it. I'm at a point where I don't stress about engine oil as much as I once used to.
smile.gif

No worries here, just getting info about oil and usage, etc.

Thank you!

Thank you!

My 2013 GLI has the gen 3 EA888 2.0T. I've changed oil every 5k miles; I did the 5k, 15k, etc while dealer did the free 10k and 20k. I was using Castrol Edge 0w40, while the dealer used 5w40. After reading on various forums and doing my own research, I decided to use Motul 8100 x-clean 5w40. It meets VW 502 spec that I need, plus MB 229.51. I'm hoping being lower SAPS (I've read it was low, I've read it was mid, so I'm calling it "lower") will help slow the process of valve deposit formation. As it's lower SAPS, I'll be continuing 5k mile OCIs (which I was doing anyways).

Originally Posted By: nolesfan
I decided to use Motul 8100 x-clean 5w40. It meets VW 502 spec that I need, plus MB 229.51. I'm hoping being lower SAPS (I've read it was low, I've read it was mid, so I'm calling it "lower")

It has SAPS of 0.8%... so yeah, mid saps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back