Teflon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have over 6 cases of Quaker State Higher Mileage engine. If Shell made it, you know it's good stuff.

DuPont is no longer the exclusive supplier of PTFE; their IP protection has expired. If you do source genuine DuPont PTFE, you can call it Teflon (the Trade Mark is still valid).

We used to run Teflon buttons as wrist pin keepers (piston) in high performance applications but stopped as they deformed over time and needed frequent replacement. So I question the value of PTFE under any pressure situation (which is what I believe the additive manufacturers imply).

My question is what deficiency you've identified that properly metered and pressurized motor oil doesn't address that PTFE does? I can't think of any.

Last edited:
I have used Tufoil for a long time; with 1-5% PTFE by weight, I haven't experienced any issues. I started using it in the late 1980s due to the fact that in Omaha, the engine on my Honda Accord would make a loud noise on really cold days. After putting in Tufoil, the noise went away. In our Lexus RX330, the UOAs have come back with no concerns (just additional moly). I put 4 oz in at each oil change, change the oil every 5,000 miles and the filter (Fram Ultra or OEM) every 10,000 miles. Lexus makes such a bullet-proof engine, I would never say Tufoil is a miracle additive, but from my experience, it doesn't hurt. As always, YMMV.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
This crud still seems to pop up occasionally.

There was a 1978 patent that listed a PTFE powder in a carrier oil as an emulsion.

Just because a patent granted for a novel chemical mix a doesn't mean it has any real world efficacy.

There is no valid scientific proof this stuff works as a friction modifier or anti-wear additive in an engine.

It does make a decent grease thickener.

Grease Technology Part Two

And it reduces noises.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back