What causes high oil pressure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"What causes high oil pressure?"

I was going to be a smart-you-know-what and say that the oil pump causes high oil pressure.
wink.gif

I do like the conversion link from the dopey Ford pressure-switch-gauge back into a real oil pressure gauge. My '97 Mustang has one of the "idiot-light-gauges" and has always made me rather mad. A "high performance" car with a gauge powered by the switch? Grrr...thanks Ford... ("high performance" is in quotes because these days...225 HP out of 4.6L isn't really high performance...)

thanks,
ben

Originally Posted By: dino33
Working on an E150 '89, and the gauge is reading high oil pressure. It's in the very upper 'normal' range. I've read that blockage somewhere in the oil tubes can cause this. Could it be the gauge itself? Should I give it an engine flush? Thanks...
Before doing anything stupid check the oil pressure with a working gauge or diagnose the sender and gauge .

I still have an 87 F150 W/ the 300 I6, many years ago, I took that silly sender out and put a variable sender in. It has worked perfectly and the gauge shows the normal fluctuations one would expect at idle and cruising RPM.It will go from the low normal at hot idle to 3/4 up at 2000 RPM. You may want to consider it. I would NOT put a cleaner in the oil with that many miles accrued.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kd5byb
"What causes high oil pressure?"

I was going to be a smart-you-know-what and say that the oil pump causes high oil pressure.
wink.gif

I do like the conversion link from the dopey Ford pressure-switch-gauge back into a real oil pressure gauge. My '97 Mustang has one of the "idiot-light-gauges" and has always made me rather mad. A "high performance" car with a gauge powered by the switch? Grrr...thanks Ford... ("high performance" is in quotes because these days...225 HP out of 4.6L isn't really high performance...)

thanks,
ben

Too much sodium!
laugh.gif

Thanks very much everyone. The camper van is new to me. I bought it off a buddy for $130, believe it or not! The tranny was not shifting in drive so he figured with such high mileage he'd take it over to Pick 'n Pull. After putting in a vacuum line it now shifts fine. Changed distributor rotor, and some wires and seems to be running good. I think I'll check the pressure manually as suggested. My friend had it for the last couple of years and it ran well for him. Previous owners used synthetics religiously, or so they say. All the interior elements including fridge and heater work so it's going to be a project van for fishing adventures!

Last edited:
Springs don't get stiffer, but pressure relief pistons do stick with varnish. I had a VW Rabbit that had 90psi at idle. Replaced the pump and pan for higher capacity and all was good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back