Napa Silver?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you BikeWhisperer
wink.gif

Work for Napa. ProSelect and Silver are the same other than market sold to. Silvers are sold to retail customers while ProSelect is sold to wholesale customers. Most of the garages buy the MP pack i.e. 21040MP vs 21040. The MP pack in a bulk box of 12 individually shrink wrapped filters.

Dave

Originally Posted By: Tony10s
... The NAPA Silver filter is well constructed ... typical stout construction that is characteristic of Wix filters....

With the exception that no 'Wix' labeled or Napa Gold 'automotive' application filter uses a combo valve. Majority Wix/NG thread end with some dome end bypass and silicone adbv.

That said, not all the Silver's use a combo valve, some same as Wix/Napa Gold and nitrile adbv. As I'm unable to find dissection pics of the OP's application not sure which it is.

In either case, should easily get 5k miles, towing included or not.

The only Silvers I know of off hand that have a Motorcraft style thread end bypass are the 31348 and the 31516 which are clones of the FL-910s and the FL-400s respectively. That doesn't mean there are not others, but those are the two I know of.

The 31516 has become my favorite Silver for the Jeep, although I've also used the 31515 and 31085 without any issues at all.

Don't know what size the OP's Nissan takes.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
As promised here are the photos of the Napa can that crushed during removal from my neighbors mustang. It did not seem to be over tightened during install by the local shop (jiffy lube or something I guess) and it came off after the use of an oil filter wrench (akward angle required tool for easy removal.) The can was so deformed that I was unable to remove the filter element, only the top cap. I believe that the dings toward the bottom of the filter are from rocks or road debris. Enjoy.

My normal quip would be "Any associated with a mustang and "turning" would look like it rolled over a cliff", however, I have had M1 filters come off looking worse than that. You can have some robust cans torn apart easily if it was over-tightened.

However, I am curious about the "pro-select". NAPA does not make a "Silver" for high-pressure bypass Subaru applications. It is Pro-select or Gold. Now, if you look up both filters on the WIX site, (27055 and 7055) they will kick you to the exact same product sheet (57055). Now, the same happens across the entire product (pro-select, Silver, Gold, & Platinum) but the Napa site shows ProSelect/Silver =Cellulose, Gold = Glass-Enhanced Cellulose, and Platinum = Synthetic. I guess the same things might happen on the 7055 filter family and there is a ADBV difference (but Nitrile is not going to to be significantly "harmful" in most cases although it is not as good... I kinda consider it like the differences between conv and syn oil). Given that there is normally a $0.07 difference in the filters I might use (I tend to stick to Gold/WIX proper) between ProSelect and Silver, what design purpose could it be? Then you have the Wix-made Microguard at Oreillys sitting at nearly a buck cheaper.

Thanks for the pictures.
Looks like you grabbed it in the middle of the can.
I thought the instruction was always to apply a strap wrench to the fluted end or at the baseplate.
At either end the filter's can is the strongest.
In the middle it crushes. No? Kira

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back