Educate me about Amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried it, in two of my vehicles, I wasn't impressed, so I switched back to Mobil 1. I change it once a year, it ends up costing me less. It gets some rave reviews here, and is considered a good oil, don't change it early it defeats the purpose.

Reactions: hrv
Switch to the OE line. It has been showing some very excellent UOA results. Since you are already a PC you can see how low the price is so no need to use the expensive Mobil 1.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Switch to the OE line. It has been showing some very excellent UOA results. Since you are already a PC you can see how low the price is so no need to use the expensive Mobil 1.

What makes the OE or XL line better than Mobil1?

Originally Posted By: db2
Arguing about oil is like arguing about whos wife/girlfriend is the prettiest or uglyest.

All of my 5 cars listed below have used Amsoil since 1st Oil Change....a combined total of 467k miles AND 50+ years of combined service.

03S2000,02Z06 &96GST use 0w30 while the 02CRV and 13EXV use 0w20.

No arguing.....just saying.

\db2

Hehehe.

And please explain how this has anything to do with the price of tea in china.
Heck I've got work vans with almost that many miles,on 1 of them,never mind distributed across 5 vehicles.
And you know what oil they get?
Whatever's cheapest when I go shopping. So get a grip. None of your engines are so high mile that an oil alone got it there.
And what's this 50 year stuff. Are you adding up all of the years your vehicles use amsoil?
What's that got to do with anything? Seriously.
I'm not bashing amsoil. Not whatsoever. I used the stuff for a decade and only since having kids have I re-examined my spending habits on engine oil and I can truly say,with engines torn apart and examined that my engines now are easily as clean as when I used amsoil. I'm running the same 10000 mile interval as when I uses amsoil,the only difference is I paid a whole lot less than when I used amsoil.
I like the products. I like a lot of the guys who use and sell the stuff and I have no doubt in my mind I under utilized it at a 10000 mile interval however I'm not interested in doing used oil analysis,and I figure that 30 bucks buys enough oil to change it,instead of analyzing it.
So why would I bother. Pay more for oil,pay for analysis and what if it's shot at 12000 miles. I gotta buy oil to change it anyways.
And yes I've seen amsoil diesel used oil analysis that was fine at 25000 miles and more,but I have only seen 1 used oil analysis where the owner went 25000 miles and the oil made it.
Every other amsoil used oil analysis was cooked well early of the 15000 mile severe service cap,which leads me to believe that the oil needs refreshing prior to that hard cap.
Yes amsoil is great stuff but I don't need it. I can jugs for under 30 bucks,run it out 10000 miles and not even give it a second thought,so why pay more?

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: db2
Arguing about oil is like arguing about whos wife/girlfriend is the prettiest or uglyest.

All of my 5 cars listed below have used Amsoil since 1st Oil Change....a combined total of 467k miles AND 50+ years of combined service.

03S2000,02Z06 &96GST use 0w30 while the 02CRV and 13EXV use 0w20.

No arguing.....just saying.

\db2

Hehehe.

And please explain how this has anything to do with the price of tea in china.
Heck I've got work vans with almost that many miles,on 1 of them,never mind distributed across 5 vehicles.
And you know what oil they get?
Whatever's cheapest when I go shopping. So get a grip. None of your engines are so high mile that an oil alone got it there.
And what's this 50 year stuff. Are you adding up all of the years your vehicles use amsoil?
What's that got to do with anything? Seriously.
I'm not bashing amsoil. Not whatsoever. I used the stuff for a decade and only since having kids have I re-examined my spending habits on engine oil and I can truly say,with engines torn apart and examined that my engines now are easily as clean as when I used amsoil. I'm running the same 10000 mile interval as when I uses amsoil,the only difference is I paid a whole lot less than when I used amsoil.
I like the products. I like a lot of the guys who use and sell the stuff and I have no doubt in my mind I under utilized it at a 10000 mile interval however I'm not interested in doing used oil analysis,and I figure that 30 bucks buys enough oil to change it,instead of analyzing it.
So why would I bother. Pay more for oil,pay for analysis and what if it's shot at 12000 miles. I gotta buy oil to change it anyways.
And yes I've seen amsoil diesel used oil analysis that was fine at 25000 miles and more,but I have only seen 1 used oil analysis where the owner went 25000 miles and the oil made it.
Every other amsoil used oil analysis was cooked well early of the 15000 mile severe service cap,which leads me to believe that the oil needs refreshing prior to that hard cap.
Yes amsoil is great stuff but I don't need it. I can jugs for under 30 bucks,run it out 10000 miles and not even give it a second thought,so why pay more?

I agree with that but I'm going to do UOA to see if my cars can handle 10k then 12.5 k then 15k, to see which interval the cars can handle and stick that engine to that interval, I do get oils at killer deals then you would in Canada.

I have no doubt that the synthetic oils I use can make easily make it to 10000

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Wills05
Originally Posted By: Pablo

What makes the OE or XL line better than Mobil1?

I cannot automatically say they are better than M1, nor is that what I said. They just perform really well and have great UOA's of course there is more to oil than a UOA. The Group III base oils perform excellently. I think people are surprised the cost is so low for the OE and delivery for a full case is around $11, so no need to drive around to shop for sales.

Overbuying motor oil is akin to overbuying trash bags.

I buy the bags that have a drawstring and don't rip apart during my trip to the garbage can outside.

My wife buys the scented, super reinforced, super clingy Hefty bags.

Motor oil has to meet the minimum needs of your engine.

Anything over that is nice and may make you feel good but it is essentially wasting money.

I would recommend that to select a sane OCI for your vehicles and then purchase a good motor oil that will work within that service interval.

Automotive engines die of neglect, not oil-related failures.

One of the easiest ways to neglect an engine is a protracted OCI without sampling and testing.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

As a devoted Amsoil client for twenty years I can say it is a great product. Always has been.

But these days the difference is not as great, even dino formulas are quite robust and deliver flawless performance albeit at shorter intervals.

And we just sold a 2004 Savana 3500 extended van with half a million miles on it. No smoke, no consumption, no knocks. The buyer was amazed.

Used whatever synthetic was on sale and changed per the olm...

I'll chime in here.

I have been using Mobil 1 since 1977. I started performing UOAs in the early 80s. Over the years, I occasionally "dabbled" and tried Amsoil, but never "switched" to it permanently.

I also used to do 3,000 mile oil changes, and later, upped it to 5,000 miles (this was in the early 80s, and 90's). Now, I do 10,000 mile or one year changes, whichever occurs first.

Around 2012 I switched my family fleet (4 vehicles) to Amsoil.

It's safe to say, over the past 35+ years, I have done hundreds of oil changes and UOAs on Mobil 1, and dozens on Amsoil.

Quite frankly, if you're only doing 5,000 mile intervals, Amsoil signature is way overkill, and a waste of money unless you have some very unusual operating condition.

If you want to continue with 5K intervals, I would either stick with the Mobil 1, or switch to the cheaper line of Amsoil.

I switched to Amsoil when I decided to change my intervals to 10K miles or one year. Around 2011/2012, Mobil 1 had a formulation change. I believe Mobil 1's TBN retention is not as good as Amsoil's. There is no way this will matter at intervals of 5K miles, but it starts to show up at 10K miles.

So - if I were in your shoes, and wanted to stick to 5K intervals, you can do the higher-end Mobil 1 oils for about the same as the lesser Amsoil oils. So I would stick with Mobil 1. But if you want to extend your change intervals, I would lean towards Amsoil.

Regarding filters: For spin-on filters, I like the Mobil 1's, and I still use them, even with the Amsoil motor oil. But - for cannister filters, like the ones Toyota is using on its new cars, I have not been impressed with the quality of Mobil 1's cannister filters. I like the Amsoil filters much better for the cannister filters.

My $0.02...

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Overbuying motor oil is akin to overbuying trash bags.

I buy the bags that have a drawstring and don't rip apart during my trip to the garbage can outside.

My wife buys the scented, super reinforced, super clingy Hefty bags.

Motor oil has to meet the minimum needs of your engine.

Anything over that is nice and may make you feel good but it is essentially wasting money.

I would recommend that to select a sane OCI for your vehicles and then purchase a good motor oil that will work within that service interval.

Automotive engines die of neglect, not oil-related failures.

One of the easiest ways to neglect an engine is a protracted OCI without sampling and testing.
THe "SuperTec" Synthetic made by Warren Oil for Walmart is as good as any for normal oil change intervals.

been an Amsoil user for years BUT as they are getting like the rest but with higher prices i be lookin elsewhere. changing from PAO in most oils to PAO in few oils + how much is anyones guess!! lookin at mobil extended performance with some ??? PAO base stock that they make, driving fewer miles since retiring i won't even see 15,000 with mobil I, yearly changes will still work. for my air-oil cooled bikes it will prolly be Redline purchased with savings using Mobil from Wally World!!!!!

It's good oil, but overkill for most street cars. High performance oils like Amsoil and Redline really only shine in racing applications where the engine is constantly pegged on the rev limiter and being power shifted all day long, something you aren't going to be doing in your DD sitting in traffic on the expressway on your way to work.
I'd just stick with the M1 if I were you and save money and sleep easy. Pretty sure Amsoil buys their base oil from XOM last time I heard so it's basically beefed up M1. That Mobil 1 EP stuff is supposed to have a good percentage of Group 4 stocks in it and it's right up in league with SS for long drains.

Originally Posted By: jongies3
It's good oil, but overkill for most street cars. High performance oils like Amsoil and Redline really only shine in racing applications where the engine is constantly pegged on the rev limiter and being power shifted all day long, something you aren't going to be doing in your DD sitting in traffic on the expressway on your way to work.
I'd just stick with the M1 if I were you and save money and sleep easy. Pretty sure Amsoil buys their base oil from XOM last time I heard so it's basically beefed up M1. That Mobil 1 EP stuff is supposed to have a good percentage of Group 4 stocks in it and it's right up in league with SS for long drains.

Really...open up a 2 year old thread to say a solid oil is only good for racing? AND that Amsoil is "basically beefed up M1"? What have you got to back up your assertions?

I've gotten Amsoil UOAs done at 12000 miles that showed less than 1/2 of the average wear for my daily driver's engine and that the oil could have gone further.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jongies3

Really...open up a 2 year old thread to say a solid oil is only good for racing? AND that Amsoil is "basically beefed up M1"? What have you got to back up your assertions?

I've gotten Amsoil UOAs done at 12000 miles that showed less than 1/2 of the average wear for my daily driver's engine and that the oil could have gone further.
It is older than 2 years.. 2014 then to about 2017, I wonder how much things have changed. So you are at more than 4, almost 5, and then 7 years for thread start.

I think it is strange you have to buy Amsoil from a rep, sort of like Snap-On and I have thought about spending some coin on it, but I can get Fuchs, Motul, Lubro Moly, without getting it from a representative, so I always spent my dollars elsewhere than with Amsoil. If I see it in the store it is always really expensive, I may have seen it at NAPA but don't quote me on that. Then we get into the debate about how good Amsoil is. I have seen several videos where I am sure the same result could have been achieved with even Mobil 1, which is also a fine oil, as are many others, not sure there is a bad oil out there if it is the lastest or previous API rating and has the Starburst.

I've been changing oil in my vehicles for decades and have never even held a bottle of Amsoil in my hands . Never had an oil related issue in any of them . No reason to change what works for me .

I tried it, in two of my vehicles, I wasn't impressed, so I switched back to Mobil 1. I change it once a year, it ends up costing me less. It gets some rave reviews here, and is considered a good oil, don't change it early it defeats the purpose.
I think rave reviews are a function of people who overspent for oil justifying the costs. If a certain oil meets the spec for your vehicle, by all means use it. No need to buy boutique oils if a less expensive oil works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back