Should I change my ATF in 99 Buick Regal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last spring, I bought my Regal GS at about 100,000 miles.

One of the first things I did was change the oil and do a cooling system flush, and actually did both. I did so again in the summer after putting in more research into products. I did this because I wasn't sure when the last fluid change was, or what product they used.

Now I'm asking the same question with my ATF. I don't know when the ATF was last changed, or if it ever was at all. Given it is past the 100k mark, I figured I should look into that, especially because I likely drive it harder than the previous owner.

I checked the color of the ATF. It's a fairly pale red. Not vibrant, perhaps brownish.

Should I change it? Should I change the filter as well?

What brands do you recommend?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes change it, these transmissions have problems. I recommend an Allomatic transmission filter, they are the only USA made filter and have the tightest fit in the transmission seal which is what you want.

For fluid I recommend Maxlife dex/merc. If you want to something else any DexronVI works too.

The filters are available on the triple edge website and you can read up on your transmission there. I would also recommend a transgo shift kit to pro long the clutch life, which is beneficial even with high mileage.

http://shop.tripleedgeperformance.com/4T60E-65E-Filter-84710E.htm

http://shop.tripleedgeperformance.com/Transgo-SK4T65E-Shift-Kit-K84908M.htm

Triple edge 4T65e common problems

Dang, that's some good info! Third link didn't work, though.

So why do you recommend the shift kit?

The shift kit is springs and help the accumulator regulate shift times so you don't get any long shifts which trigger max line pressure and wear out the clutches.

These transmissions have big issues with pressure which can easily lead to a full rebuild, so anything preventative is a good idea. Your 99 is an early example too and is subject to many of these issues. Some of the biggest one are the max adapt issue with hard shifts or losing 4th gear due to the splines stripping from being non hardened.

It's not a performance shift kit it's a preventative maintenance shift kit. I drove on max adapt for two years banging gears before it started to slip bad enough to be a regular thing.

If the third link didn't work, Google "4T65e common problems triple edge"

I finally broke down and had triple edge build me a new standard 4T65e which has the shift kit and tons of upgrades built in, but hopefully you never need that. I had more miles on mine before it needed it.

Yup, change it. The old wive's tale about grit holding it together is just that.

I saved a 4T60, your predecessor, in a ciera with a fluid and filter change, it was finally able to suck enough adequate fluid through the clean filter, to work.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
The shift kit is springs and help the accumulator regulate shift times so you don't get any long shifts which trigger max line pressure and wear out the clutches.

These transmissions have big issues with pressure which can easily lead to a full rebuild, so anything preventative is a good idea. Your 99 is an early example too and is subject to many of these issues. Some of the biggest one are the max adapt issue with hard shifts or losing 4th gear due to the splines stripping from being non hardened.

It's not a performance shift kit it's a preventative maintenance shift kit. I drove on max adapt for two years banging gears before it started to slip bad enough to be a regular thing.

If the third link didn't work, Google "4T65e common problems triple edge"

I finally broke down and had triple edge build me a new standard 4T65e which has the shift kit and tons of upgrades built in, but hopefully you never need that. I had more miles on mine before it needed it.

+1 on the shift kit, the improvement is amazing. My 00 Century was banging gears when it got hot. It's close to 40K miles with the shift kit and it hasn't missed a beat since.

Trav had turned me onto it, and did the installation. It was money well spent!

Originally Posted By: OpenClose
Last spring, I bought my Regal GS at about 100,000 miles.

One of the first things I did was change the oil and do a cooling system flush, and actually did both. I did so again in the summer after putting in more research into products. I did this because I wasn't sure when the last fluid change was, or what product they used.

Now I'm asking the same question with my ATF. I don't know when the ATF was last changed, or if it ever was at all. Given it is past the 100k mark, I figured I should look into that, especially because I likely drive it harder than the previous owner.

I checked the color of the ATF. It's a fairly pale red. Not vibrant, perhaps brownish.

Should I change it? Should I change the filter as well?

What brands do you recommend?

The pan needs to be dropped and the filter changed assuming it has one. Then you need to exchange all the ATF. Either multiple drain & fills or a cooling line flush.

I would replace the filter, drain and refill at the least. Any Dex3 compatible, dex6, or maxlife atf will work. I have used them all with zero issues in gm trannys

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Yup, change it. The old wive's tale about grit holding it together is just that.

This is what is holding me back from doing the GF's Volvo. I can do a decent "flush" for about $60 with Maxlife, but Oil Changer's last experience has me hesitant. Her car is in great shape mechanically and cosmetically. She takes great care of her stuff. Especially compared to the other women in her family with the if it rolls its good mentality.

It'd be a shame to lose it because of the transmission.
frown.gif

Last edited:
Change it.

Unfortunately, many GM transmission pans don;t have a drain plug. So you may want to buy an aftermarket pan that has one. It makes ATF changes much easier.

Drain change filter and refill. Oil change will prolong the life of the trans but not help with parts breaking.

I wouldn't change out the fluid in a 99 which is Dex III stock for Dex 6. Some people have issues with the thinner Dex 6 in a tranny that was run stock with Dex III. Your safest option would be a Dex III fluid, and you can get a synthetic Dex III too(stock fill dex III is not synthetic). Just look for a fluid that lists Dex III approved. Thats my opinion. I am about to try Amsoil synthetic that is dex III spec(they make one for 6 as well). Also, Maxlife lists Dex III but also lists Dex 6 so I personally wouldn't use it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GerGa
I wouldn't change out the fluid in a 99 which is Dex III stock for Dex 6. Some people have issues with the thinner Dex 6 in a tranny that was run stock with Dex III. Your safest option would be a Dex III fluid, and you can get a synthetic Dex III too(stock fill dex III is not synthetic). Just look for a fluid that lists Dex III approved. Thats my opinion. I am about to try Amsoil synthetic that is dex III spec(they make one for 6 as well). Also, Maxlife lists Dex III but also lists Dex 6 so I personally wouldn't use it.

The worn-out Dex III ATF with 100K on it is way thinner than fresh Dex VI!

Dex III is known to shear down to the more stable Dex VI levels in 25K - 30K anyways.

I agree with 901Memphis, Donald and others that it's prudent to drain and fill the ATF and change the filter ASAP.

Conversely, prevention is much better than redemption.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain

The worn-out Dex III ATF with 100K on it is way thinner than fresh Dex VI!

Dex III is known to shear down to the more stable Dex VI levels in 25K - 30K anyways.

I agree with 901Memphis, Donald and others that it's prudent to drain and fill the ATF and change the filter ASAP.

Conversely, prevention is much better than redemption.

But will Dex III synthetics like the ones from Amsoil or other shear more easily? I thought it was conventional fluids that shear more.
Triple Edge Performance recommends not to switch from Dex 3 to 6, but starting fresh at 6.

Last edited:

The average DEXRON-III will shear down to about 4.2 cSt in about 80k miles whereas DEXRON-VI will typically not shear below about 5.3 cSt in the same mileage. That's one of the design features of DEXRON-VI, improved shear stability over DEXRON-III.

OK, so what do you guys think of, say Royal Purple vs Redline?

I don't seem to have any Amsoil available where I am, nor from Amazon.

(I think there may be a supplier I have to personally contact.)

Royal Purple and Redline both are excellent transmission fluids but my preference would be towards the Redline strongly if those were the only two choices.

You don't need to get fancy, any synthetic multi vehicle atf on synthetic dex/merc should be more than adequate they just like fresh fluid and filter every 30k or so.... Even DexronVI is great stuff.

It just looked like amazon had RP and RL for about the same price as Valvoline MaxLife. I figure, I'll just the best stuff for the money if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back