Which PP should I use first?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, like title asks, which PP should I use first, the old original 2013 manufacture PP or one of the new PPP+ platinum? Thank u for advice in advance and this will be for the 2011 Focus next oil change leaving the FU-3614 for a 3rd oci

Yeah, from reading here the consensus or to me seems the older stuff& newer stuff both good. I probably will flip a coin

Old stuff first of course and a new filter why spend all the money on good oil and run it through a dirty filter

Last edited:
Pennzoil says the shelf-life of its motor oil under friendly storage conditions is 4 years. So I'd use the older stock first.

Man, ya got it right.. Heck that is cool to be able to make that choice. I saw some platinum the other day at auto zone. The previous PP was a bit stronger than the newer version. The newer version is still a great product. Even the newer Pennzoil Ultra is not has strong has the original. But it is still darn good. But it is good you have both
smile.gif

I'm still using Pennzoil Platinum that is almost 9 years old. When stored right it would be just fine, the main issue is with newer blends being better by time you get around to using up the older stuff.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Man, ya got it right.. Heck that is cool to be able to make that choice. I saw some platinum the other day at auto zone. The previous PP was a bit stronger than the newer version. The newer version is still a great product. Even the newer Pennzoil Ultra is not has strong has the original. But it is still darn good. But it is good you have both
smile.gif

"Not as strong?"

Does that actually mean anything when it comes to an oil, and what would you base that assessment on?

I used whatever Wal Mart had on their shelf after I replaced my timing chain which was PUP. Now my truck's on M1 HM, the 2nd oil change after the engine work.

Well, this is subjective in some people's point of view. And since some people don't like or believe in test results it would be hard to say.
That being stated.. Test results from the latest generation of Pennzoil PP and Ultra are not quite has strong as the first generation. That does not mean the new gen products are not really good? Heck no. I use Pennzoil Ultra because it is really good. So is PP. There was a minor dropoff from the SM version to the SN version.
Again, they are really good products. I was super happy when I finally found the Ultra in 5 qt containers. I guess its a matter if someone believes in test results or if they matter. Or if the test are really even accurate or worth anything at all. At the end of the day it really is subjective
But as for me, myself and I .. I tend to believe in validity of testing. Because if you see similar results from multiple different tests.. It validates something. But that is just me. And we all are or can be different. And that's OK too.

Either, doesn't matter.
As long as you use the 2013 vintage PP before the next midterm elections, in 2018, you'll be within industry guidelines for motor oil shelf life.
More realistically, as long as you use it some time before you die, it should be just fine.
Motor oil in a sealed container lasts a very long time.
Nothing to spoil.

Well, this is subjective in some people's point of view. And since some people don't like or believe in test results it would be hard to say.
That being stated.. Test results from the latest generation of Pennzoil PP and Ultra are not quite has strong as the first generation. That does not mean the new gen products are not really good? Heck no. I use Pennzoil Ultra because it is really good. So is PP. There was a minor dropoff from the SM version to the SN version.
Again, they are really good products. I was super happy when I finally found the Ultra in 5 qt containers. I guess its a matter if someone believes in test results or if they matter. Or if the test are really even accurate or worth anything at all. At the end of the day it really is subjective
But as for me, myself and I .. I tend to believe in validity of testing. Because if you see similar results from multiple different tests.. It validates something. But that is just me. And we all are or can be different. And that's OK too.

Oh, I DEFINITELY BELIEVE test results. I'm still waiting for some, so I ask again: Not as strong? What test results back this up?

That being stated.. Test results from the latest generation of Pennzoil PP and Ultra are not quite has strong as the first generation.

Not really true unless you're basing it off of base oil properties, such as NOACK. The complete product is just as good. It's an extremely well balanced oil with an excellent detergent system.

Old first.
mainly for psychological reasons and non-technical. If you're not using the oldest, you're never going to use it, it'll just sit there forever.

Also, if you have more than 1 change's worth, then you transition to the next flavor of the month oil rather then swapping back and forth so often, if it helps you feel better about with the myth of additives clashing.

Last edited:
Well cheif... Look at the PQIA site for some of them. Second, there is this one person who did his own testing. 540rat. Look at those has well. Good bad or indifferent. There is some difference between the original Pennzoil Ultra SM formulation and the later versions. Now this latest generation of Ultra is very good. But not as good as the first gen. I use it because it is really good. I would also state that Pennzoil Platinum in the current formulation is still very good. Again, It is subjective in all ways of seeing it. You are well good enough to find the information I mentioned above. So have fun
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back