What Kind Of Oil Are You 5.7 HEMI Guys Running ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: billt460
If an engine, ANY engine burned through a GALLON of oil in just 700 miles, wouldn't there be smoke? A LOT of blue / white smoke?

Definitely, it would look like a mosquito fogger going down the road. You would also have some seriously fouled spark plugs and misfires.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
It should be as thick as a mosquito fogger.
wink.gif

I'd think so, and you'd be smelling it too.

Pennzoil PurePlus Ultra Platinum, 5W-20. First change with it in mid-March. Prior used Mobil 1 5W-20.

As per other bloggers, PU eliminated the infamous HEMI 'ticking' sound, purported to be from the longer pushrod to the exhaust valves (outboard engine sides).

Not sure if this means oil flows faster, better lubricity, etc., but if it does keep rings & valvetrain cleaner than M1 as PU claims, I like it. 50k miles on truck (2012 model).

Alex38 Don't do that - platinum plugs won't last either - has to do with how the dual plug setup fires sequentially with the voltage to the 2nd plug lesser - it won't run right.

They added plug #2 as an afterburner to meet emissions, cause HEMI crossflow allows too easy breathing, resulting in escaped pollutants. sim-to the old 2 stroke Detroit Diesels with Roots blowers on them. Read up on HEMI sites.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JasonK94Z
I would like to know if the 5w-30 would help quiet down the lifter clatter while idling. Dang thing sounds like two of the cylinders are diesel. Kind of a noisy engine in my opinion, but "normal for the Hemi". I use Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20 with a Wix filter. Change it every 5k.

Interesting - I use Pennzoil Ultra + WIX Filter and this combination quieted the tick from using Mobil 1 5W20.

Originally Posted By: -SyN-
I could not have said it better myself Steve! I agree 135%!

I drove my first 2105 F150 3.5L Ecoboost yesterday! It is a awesome truck!

But in my eyes it does not compare with the 5.7L-8speed-3:92!
I don't mind the average MPG when the truck is this much fun to drive!

And it will last longer than the twin turbo ecoboost - read the Ford blogs about the ecoboost good for onlyi 70k miles or so - soots up the turbos & egr's.

Sure, a new engine is great. That's not my measure of engine greatness - it's for how long it does it, as the most expensive component of the vehicle. Ford is on the wrong track IMHO.

p.s. - I dumped Chevy too, as their MDS is/was horrible & burned oil like a pig ~ 40k miles (5.3L V8)

P.P.S. (sorry for multiple posts)...

HEMI is best engine I have ever owned in 35 years, hands down. The only thing that could get me out of the 5.7L HEMI is the 6.4L HEMI (10% more torque for climbing steep hills with loaded trailer) or a diesel, but I'm not liking the expense of the new diesels with the piles for EPA Tier 4 emissions [censored] on them. Cost too much, too unreliable.

Lubri or whatever! You singled out my post so I will reply to your so called reply!

You didn't tell me anything that I didn't already know!

I researched my purchase for right at 8 months! I already knew the 3.5L had issues... Anyone who has intranet access can figure this out if they research it... Every motor has it quirks and issues be it short term or long term...

I had NO intentions on buying an F150 with the ecoboost-->I test drove one with the New Coyote engine and was impressed but the Hemi package was even more impressive and came with a cheaper price tag with the same options... I already Knew the 5.7L was strong and durable due to the fact I researched it... The only true issue that I found was the so called Hemi-Tick! Some Get it Some Don't!

Ah, but SyN you also know how much brand defensiveness exists - there are ecoboost defenders no matter what the engine does, factual or rumored.

I was a Chevy guy myself for a long while until they came out with the wheezy 5.3L V8 with AFM that pumps oil like crazy. The HEMI is terrific. And - I can deactivate HEMI's AFM as it has a tiptronic shifter.

Yeah, the tick seems more an annoyance than anything - I don't recall reports of valve train failures owning to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back