FIFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome airplane. Saw her in Harlingen, TX years ago...OK...decades ago...

Still trying to get to see her fly...it's a bucket list thing...

Awesome. I got to see her when she was in Cleveland several years ago. The sound of her taking off is amazing. I can't imagine the maintenance needed to keep her flying; didn't they just spend a couple million to hang 4 improved, later model R-3350 engines?

A guy inside the cockpit told me that the engines are terrible, burn oil and are not extremely reliable. But the B-29 was a huge advance in WWII.

I saw a video of the engines starting on this B-29 (I think that video was shown at this website, actually) and there was a guy with a fire extinguisher standing close to each engine as each engine was started up.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
A guy inside the cockpit told me that the engines are terrible, burn oil and are not extremely reliable. But the B-29 was a huge advance in WWII.

I saw a video of the engines starting on this B-29 (I think that video was shown at this website, actually) and there was a guy with a fire extinguisher standing close to each engine as each engine was started up.

Very true, the original R-3350 was notorious for engine fires in B-29s. Between oil leaks and engines that are hard to keep cool, they often caused problems. Even Fifi had an engine fire many years ago, I'm very glad they were able to land safely and repair her.

Amazing aircraft. Just saw Fifi about a month ago when it was visiting near me at the Camarillo airport. Got to see it take off over us as we were at the end of the runway. Awesome beyond belief to see and hear it.

That's all normal for any older radial engined aircraft.

Keep in mind that when a radial engine sits, oil tends to collect in the bottom-most cylinders which is the primary reason why they belch out huge clouds of smoke on startup. You'll also frequently see them turn over the engines for several revolutions before trying to fire them off--this is to prevent hydrolocking.

The Wright Cyclone series engines actually are pretty reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back