Autozone Duralast calipers are coated now

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a pair of rear calipers for my 00 Celica GTS 2.5 years ago from Autozone, they were branded Duralast but are remans from Cardone. They were bare and immediately took on surface rust after install. Now the driver rear caliper has frozen and I took it back to an Autozone for a replacement. To their credit, it was painless. I didn't even have the original receipt, photo ID, or credit card on me, they just needed my phone number when I first purchased the caliper. In and out in 5 minutes.

I noticed the replacement looked better than what I can recall years ago. Well, after installing last Thursday and a little rain Friday, no rust has shown up yet. I went to Autozone's website and in the product description, it does indeed say it's painted - grey. That's pretty good. Now I want the same on the other side to replace the very rusty looking caliper... although it works perfectly fine. Anyone know how to instantly seize a piston without looking like I did it?

So, you're wanting advice on how to sabotage a part on your car, to make it fail, for the purpose of returning it under warranty?

Just checking to make sure I'm understanding this correctly.

Good to know they may be painted. I had the same issue with a caliper for my bmw, which rusted horribly.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Take it off and just say it failed.

+1 They don't put brake calipers on a test bench or anything.

All calipers were eventually start to rust on the surface. It will not affect the performance. If it keeps you up at night, take it back but don't tell them your reason. You will be laughed at.

Originally Posted By: Donald
While the caliper may look like [censored], it does not effect its ability to brake.

+1 don't wake a sleeping baby.

Careful there, cutter. I had a thread a bit ago where I was looking for advice on hastening rust on a body panel that had already begun to rust so that I might get it covered under warranty, and that thread was so polluted with people thinking that I was trying to rip off Audi US that the mods eventually made the thread disappear.

You expect the supplier/store to be honest with you-maybe you should be honest with them and not warranty a perfectly good part. Does anybody have any ethics anymore?

Dave

Bad idea asking this around here.

Lot of people will be riding into this thread on their high horses proclaiming how they and integrity are one in the same.

Especially the day after Easter.

Good luck.

Sanctimoniousness is prolific around these parts.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
Careful there, cutter. I had a thread a bit ago where I was looking for advice on hastening rust on a body panel that had already begun to rust so that I might get it covered under warranty, and that thread was so polluted with people thinking that I was trying to rip off Audi US that the mods eventually made the thread disappear.

Ha! Exact same thing I just told him.

Originally Posted By: cutter
I went to Autozone's website and in the product description, it does indeed say it's painted - grey.

Last time I looked at a rebuilt item at Advance Auto parts (different store, I know) it was an A/C compressor, I really think the paint was there just to cover up dirt and stains on the exterior. Besides that, wouldn't powder coating be better?

A suggestion would be to take a wire brush/wheel/sandpaper and clean off as much rust as you can. Then tape off areas around it and primer/paint it with quality spray paint or brush it on to match the new caliper. I've done it before and it came out looking very good.

Relax guys, it was just a facetious remark. The time it'll take to try to wreck the caliper is probably about the same as sanding and coating it. Anyways, it's a Cardone reman so it'll probably just go ahead and seize itself at the worst time.

As long as your car is braking correctly, don't worry about surface rust on a brake caliper. Your caliper probably seized because of poor seals, not lack of paint on the outside.

Originally Posted By: smith627
A suggestion would be to take a wire brush/wheel/sandpaper and clean off as much rust as you can. Then tape off areas around it and primer/paint it with quality spray paint or brush it on to match the new caliper. I've done it before and it came out looking very good.
That beats lying to the parts store and then wondering why the price of a reman goes up.

wow amazing how all these righteous people fail to see the 3rd post in the thread.

A little scotchbrite and a can of gray spray paint would probably be easiest.

Funny, just yesterday I looked at the pair of calipers I replaced this winter, and was amazed by the rust. I may have to follow my own advice.

Currently wondering if I wiped some rust converter on them - might be kinda like a ceramic coating..... hmmmm.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back