Mobil 5w-40; 5k miles; Ford 6.7L @ 84k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first analysis ever and I have no clue what I am looking at.
Truck has 135.000km or 84,300 miles
Oil had 8000 km or 5000 miles when changed.
I'm not 100% on the oil my dealer used but I know it was synthetic mobil 1 5w/40
I idle a lot for work, which is why I wanted the test done. But now need help to read it.
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good numbers, except there might be some shearing from possible fuel dilution (which was likely not tested).

I am going to email the testers and ask why there is no fuel number. I expected it was going to be tested. Not sure why they didn't.
Truck is going to get deleted so dilution won't be a problem in the future.
What do you mean by shearing?

I think I will stay with synthetic oil once the truck is deleted and try for longer change intervals. What are most guys running for oil and how long for changes?

One thing I noticed on my analysis which was doferent then most I've looked at was the moly number. Other report much higher numbers then what mine shows. Is that good or bad?

I have an older Cummins diesel and run Rotella T6 for 18K with a 12 QT sump. The UOA for it was fine and I could have gone past 18K.

Shearing is when the oil changes viscosity enough so its no longer the same weight it started off as. There is a range for each weight. A 5W40 is probably 14 or 15 @ 100C. Yours has sheared down to 12.9.

If your going to extend the OCI, then you want TBN also. It tells you if the additive package is still up to snuff when the oil sample was taken.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Good numbers, except there might be some shearing from possible fuel dilution (which was likely not tested).

4% Fuel Dilution is too much. Suggest you shorten the OCI by 10% - 20% from all the prolonged idling.

4% fuel is not desirable, but it's not hurting a thing yet.

Wear is what you're wanting to track; that is the output function of the UOA which tells you how well it's protecting. The wear is just fine in your UOA.

The other items (fuel, vis, etc) are inputs; they only predict a possible lifecycle limitation to the lube.

At this point, there's nothing to indicate there's anything wrong with the protection level the oil is delivering. However, paying for syn 5w-40 over 5k miles is pretty darn expensive; there are other lubes that are more than capable of the same protection for less cost.

PS - I'm going to modify your thread title to our conventional system. Welcome to the site!

Last edited:
Thank you for fixing the title for me.
I have read that dilution in these engines is mostly caused by dpf regeneration? I won't pretend to understand why. But I will be removing the dpf ASAP hopefully my next analysis will show much lower dilution number. If not I will stick with non synthetic oil and more often changes. If dilution goes down I will stick with synthetic and try for longer intervals.
Glad I found this forum!

Originally Posted By: Six7
Thank you for fixing the title for me.
I have read that dilution in these engines is mostly caused by dpf regeneration? I won't pretend to understand why. But I will be removing the dpf ASAP hopefully my next analysis will show much lower dilution number. If not I will stick with non synthetic oil and more often changes. If dilution goes down I will stick with synthetic and try for longer intervals.
Glad I found this forum!

Very simple. The computer squirts lots of raw fuel into the cylinders (I think on the exhaust stroke) to burn off soot in the DPF. Some it ends up in the oil. The sooner you delete the DPF, the fuel will not enter the oil and you will waste no fuel and there will be less CO2 entering the atmosphere. The soot will end up fertilizing Alberta's wheatfields.
I think if you delete 5W40 is a better choice. The engine still shears but down to only 5W30, still safe. And fuel-in-oil won't dilute the oil. 5W40 is a good choice for Alberta.

Charlie

Last edited:
I had a big problem with fuel dilution of the oil on my 2007 Cummins 6.7L. It was as high as 5% fuel after 8k miles. After losing the emissions components and reprogramming the engine computer, the engine never goes into DPF regeneration mode so dilution of the oil is no longer a problem.

I posted my last UOA a few months ago and you can see the results for yourself. I'm shooting for 18k miles for my next OCI. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3530395/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back