IOM TT Lap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's an item on my personal bucket list. Ride the Mountain Course at a respectable average speed. This is on-board with Guy Martin. A truck Mechanic, who also happens to be a very skilled rider, and one of the top riders at the IOM TT. Enjoy.

It's always amazed me how anyone can put in enough laps around IOM to get to know it well enough to be able to attack it properly like above. The course is only open a few times the entire year and is what, 37 miles long? How can you possibly get to know the place without getting killed? Crazy.

I've heard it takes about 3 years to really familiarize yourself with the entire course. But the fastest guys have more years in than that.

Onboard videos, and even video games help with the familiarization.

My personal favorite, was the late David Jefferies. He was a man of larger stature, (like me) who was also the fastest.

So, it isn't a fast foward mode movie, I really had that impression of fake frame rate? Got tired at 7 minutes, just trying to find the head bike. At that wide wooble and lack of grip rate, there should have a crash. I call ...

IOM is on my bucket list as well. Those guys are absolutely fearless. I watch it religiously every year. Accurately described as the most dangerous race in the world. I made a deal with my wife. I'll go ride the circuit and she can hit the pubs and drink some genuine Guinness.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pontual
So, it isn't a fast foward mode movie, I really had that impression of fake frame rate? Got tired at 7 minutes, just trying to find the head bike. At that wide wooble and lack of grip rate, there should have a crash. I call ...

That's in real time. On the fastest sections of the course, on the fastest modified Superbikes, (such as in this video) they do reach speeds in excess of a genuine 200 mph.

People crash and are seriously injured or die, regularly. It IS very dangerous. All of the competitors know this.

I love this stuff. I spent lots of time with my IOM video game, I never got to finish without some crash or wrong turn :O(

Lots of respect for those riders, they really are unique.

The IOM TT is the ultimate for the 2-wheel junkie.

These guys have HUGE SS B***S to go that fast through those streets. There is virtually no protection for huge sections of that route.

Amazing!

I'm happy that some of us know what the IOM is... its pinned in sixth
gear... at red line... in excess of 200 mph... at that velocity the
rear tire skitters around with the rider in full tuck trying to go
quicker all the while telephone poles fence posts and roadside curbs
ensure mistakes meet with either injury or instant death... A casual
observer must think a road race for crazies but I think of it as
heaven on earth...

Thanks to HD Theater it's a form of racing that getting some notice in
America... some us fans think this is true road racing in its most purest
form whereas the road racing spoken of here in the US is held on
purpose-built closed courses referred to as "short-circuit" racing.
But the TT on the Isle of Man may be the world's most recognized road
race with a mystique all its own...

Last edited:
I think I need to just make it a priority to give it a shot. I've only been thinking about doing so since the 80's..

Anyway, you've probably seen this. But if not I thought you might appreciate an on-board video with "Yer Maun" the late, great, Joey Dunlop, on his race-spec RC45, at the Ulster Grand Prix.

A little something for us Sportbike fanatics. A documentary that follows a few of the IOM TT riders through preparing for and racing at the TT.

Embedding apparently isn't allowed, so click the link.

Youtube Link

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back