Fram Ultra Cut Open XG6607 (2,334 miles OCI)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Folks! Here is Fram Ultra Synthetic XG6607 cut open after a 2,334 mile OCI with M1 0w-40 oil on Nissan's VQ37VHR engine.

I was surprised to see such a short filtering media. It almost reminded me of a hockey puck. Nevertheless, the filtering medial is fairly long when expanded and quite thick. I have no doubt it filters oil very well.

That said, I have a concern about flow rate of this filter. Some of you will flame me for this, and I did see a chart that shows Fram's Ultra having highest flow rate, but that test was not on XG6607 filter.

Moreover, when I just installed the filter with fresh oil and took car for a test spin if felt as if the vehicle is struggling to accelerate. Next day, my wife who is a primary driver texted me saying, - "What did you do to the car? It feels like it doesn't want to go".

I've just changed the oil this weekend and installed Purolator PureOne PL14612, with the same weight oil, only it is Castrol Edge 0w-40 (German Castrol made for NA market). The car wants to fly again! What gives? This was my only experience using Fram Ultar. It had been PL14612 all prior OCIs.

Just sharing info and driving impressions.

IKgiCij.jpg

ou1okGz.jpg

5j96gqn.jpg

9YtsBKO.jpg

OZxAQrr.jpg

aslP3Po.jpg

ml1cgrt.jpg

pmmQdZM.jpg

sHvOghP.jpg

Im glad someone else is finally questioning the flow of the ultra... Although it seems a little odd that it robbed HP from your engine

Thanks for the C&P.

You've changed two variables: the oil and the filter, so not sure what led to the perceived loss in acceleration.

I think you should've just changed the filter out instead of the oil to see what may be causing this.

It held up nicely, I switched all cars I take care for to Ultra with 2 OCI's.

Its possible that flow rate will be effected, but it does mean its filtering "better" by restricting. No issue in Japanese cars if you ask me.

Are you saying the restrictive flow of this filter reduced the performance of the car?

The train of thought seems to be flawed. I see no way in which restrictive flow of an oil filter would decrease the ability to "go". If anything it will just go into bypass.

No filter is strong enough to drag down the power of an engine.

There in no chart with Fram Ultra flow rate you probably saw an older chart with an AC Delco Ultra Guard at the top most likely. That being said the Fram Ultra meets or exceeds the flowers rate of the oem filter which is more than sufficient for your application.

I have been trying to get Motorking to get flow/PSID data on Fram Ultras but it's a slow process.

A to why your engine lost power I doubt it's related to oil or filter.

Placebo affect. Maybe you have a problem with the motor. But not the oil filter.

Its funny but people used to complain about the same thing about the Pure1.

Yes, they are a small filter. But I dought it slowed down your engine, if it did you would have a much larger problem(bearings). I don't know how much room you have for a larger oil filter, but I've found filters that are 3 11/16" X 5 3/8" that fit on my engine that takes the same filter as your engine. I also used a 3" X 5 1/8" filter till I found the larger one.

ROD

Last edited:
I have the exact same filter on my 3.5 VQ Altima and yes it is darn small.. But I agree with others on here who don't believe power loss is from a filter. I have never had anything like that on my car and I've changed the oil on my car 15 times. I am going to try the bigger From ultra 7317 because I want too.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
I have the exact same filter on my 3.5 VQ Altima and yes it is darn small.. But I agree with others on here who don't believe power loss is from a filter. I have never had anything like that on my car and I've changed the oil on my car 15 times. I am going to try the bigger From ultra 7317 because I want too.

Yep, go for the 7317 size, that 6607 is tiny.

Yeah seriously.. First time I changed the filter on the car I was like .. What in the world is this going to really do and for how long? Most filters for 6 cylinder cars are a good bit bigger than this.

Originally Posted By: davison0976
Hello Folks! Here is Fram Ultra Synthetic XG6607 cut open after a 2,334 mile OCI with M1 0w-40 oil on Nissan's VQ37VHR engine.

I was surprised to see such a short filtering media. It almost reminded me of a hockey puck. Nevertheless, the filtering medial is fairly long when expanded and quite thick. I have no doubt it filters oil very well.

That said, I have a concern about flow rate of this filter. Some of you will flame me for this, and I did see a chart that shows Fram's Ultra having highest flow rate, but that test was not on XG6607 filter.

Moreover, when I just installed the filter with fresh oil and took car for a test spin if felt as if the vehicle is struggling to accelerate. Next day, my wife who is a primary driver texted me saying, - "What did you do to the car? It feels like it doesn't want to go".

I've just changed the oil this weekend and installed Purolator PureOne PL14612, with the same weight oil, only it is Castrol Edge 0w-40 (German Castrol made for NA market). The car wants to fly again! What gives? This was my only experience using Fram Ultar. It had been PL14612 all prior OCIs.

Just sharing info and driving impressions.

IKgiCij.jpg

ou1okGz.jpg

5j96gqn.jpg

9YtsBKO.jpg

OZxAQrr.jpg

aslP3Po.jpg

ml1cgrt.jpg

pmmQdZM.jpg

sHvOghP.jpg

Hello,
The XG6606 has less than a 1.5psi pressure drop across the filter. In no way did the filter diminish the performance of your car. I own and daily drive a 2005 Nissan 350Z with a big turbo on it. I have run both the 6607 and 7317 filters and neither has any affect on engine performance. You can run the XG7317 as long as you have room for it, it is slightly larger and is what I generally use on my car. One more time for all you "flow junkies". If there is a particular oil filter part number you want the flow rate on, all you have to do is ask. There are currently 1400 catalogged part numbers and flow rates differ by media, can size and many other variables. Our filters ALWAYS meet or exceed OE flow rates. My email address is attached to every post, all you have to do is email me and ask. I do not have time to get on this forum every day (wish I could) so that is always the best way to reach me.

Originally Posted By: Motorking
My email address is attached to every post, all you have to do is email me and ask. I do not have time to get on this forum every day (wish I could) so that is always the best way to reach me.
I can testify that Jay has always (even when out of the country) taken the time to answer all of my mails (usually within 24 hours). Say whatever you want about FRAM, this type of customer oriented service proves to me that FRAM knows how to treat their user base.

For the OP, there is simply no way a filter (of any brand) would produce enough drag or restriction to cause the issues that you are stating. Something else was/is going on with the engine. Synthetic filter media is not restrictive in any way--quite the opposite and even if it were, that is why filters have bypasses in them.

If the flow was so restricted that you felt a power loss, that means at a minimum you would have wiped bearings and scored cylinder walls. Greatly increased frictional losses that you could feel means massive oil starvation. Your engine is toast then.

But now it's fine? Then I'm going to say it didn't happen.

I find it perplexing that people have picked one of the best flowing filters on the market to obsess about "flow". As mentioned the Pure1 was the same way, better than most but constantly "tagged" with imagined flow issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back