Golf VII TSI / Turbo worn out at 60 000km

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Olas
Originally Posted By: geeman789
Originally Posted By: Olas
Maybe the owners manual doesn't mention 'cool-down' because it's obvious? I knew about the need to let a turbo cool down before switching the engine off before I even started my driving lessons..some things are just obvious (IMO!) like checking tyre pressures and fluid levels and bulbs each week. Common sense...

Seriously...? The average driver doesn't know if their car is FWD / RWD... and if the car has a turbo, ask them what it actually is... most have no idea.

You're right that most people have no idea - maybe I'm the stupid one for thinking that you shouldn't own something if you can't look after it? It could be an 'old-fashioned' view for a 30 year old?
But it's never been mysterious or complex to me, just a sprinkle of common sense and a twist of mechanical sympathy.

Mechanical sympathy, one of my favourite terms, but one which is seldom recognised. In order to treat a turbo with respect it should be given a few moments after engine start in order to ensure oil circulation. After stopping the vehicle it is good practice to permit the turbo to 'slow down' before shutting the engine off and the oil circulation with it.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: edyvw
VAG is way ahead of Ford in innovation, so there is reason why some errors are happening.

+1. VAG are cars for enthusiasts, not a boring commuting appliance.

Well, in Germany it is seen the other way.. VW and the other VAG-brands are cars for dull people who buy VW because their last car was a VW and their father had VW and their granddad had bought VW savings stamps for his first Kdf-Wagen (but never got it delivered because of the war).

Originally Posted By: chrisri
Altough that may well be in US,Euro Fords are far better drivers cars then VW.New Mondeo,Focus even a Fiesta drives great.This cars are engineered in UK and Brits know thing or two about handling.Pre Focus cars where disaster except Cosworth cars.VAG does have edge in engines though.

I strongly second most of your post - except the second sentence. And except that a lot of Ford engineering is done in Cologne, which obviously is in Germany.
VW has very severe Problems with it's 1.2 and 1.4 TSI engines. Timing chain failures and turbo problems are very common. Nothing bad is to be heard of Ford's ecoboost engines. (One has to admit, though, that VWs engines were introduced earlier.)

But regarding handling, you are spot-on! There is nothing wrong with a Golf handling-wise - it really is all well and good - but the Focus, on the other hand, just is suberb. From the first generation on, the Focus has been the benchmark for roadholding and cornering fun in font-wheel-drive cars.
Oh, and Focus seem to be quite reliable too, unlike sub-1.8L-VW. On the downside, 1st generation Focus look awful. (Ford exterior design is ok-ish now, but the interior is still just plain painful to look at. VW does a much better job at interior design). And they can't make decent seats, but neither can VW.
So Focus is more fun and more value on the money, Golf does look and feel nicer.

Originally Posted By: 2004tdigls
I disagree, vw's are excellent cars but the ridiculously long OCI's tend to kill the delicate parts of the engines (turbos). This car only had 2 oil changes according to the long life service schedule. The turbo failure has everything to do with the OCI and nothing to do with the quality of the vehicle.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/regimes

BMW has the same problem, interestingly they have recently reduced their OCI because of thousands of costly engine replacements.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=904184

I own a 1998 tdi with the original turbo, I change the oil every 6 months or 5000 miles (half the recommended 1 year/10000 mile recommendation)

All manufacturers are trying to make their cars "maintenance free", examples like the vw turbo failure are the consequences

Do you have any evidence to back this up? Like oil analysis reports for VW's running the recommended OCI?

I disagree, vw's are excellent cars but the ridiculously long OCI's tend to kill the delicate parts of the engines (turbos). This car only had 2 oil changes according to the long life service schedule. The turbo failure has everything to do with the OCI and nothing to do with the quality of the vehicle.

BMW has the same problem, interestingly they have recently reduced their OCI because of thousands of costly engine replacements.

I own a 1998 tdi with the original turbo, I change the oil every 6 months or 5000 miles (half the recommended 1 year/10000 mile recommendation)

All manufacturers are trying to make their cars "maintenance free", examples like the vw turbo failure are the consequences

BMW has NOT been replacing engines because of the long OCI.

Originally Posted By: Mykl

Do you have any evidence to back this up? Like oil analysis reports for VW's running the recommended OCI?

It is interesting that VW and others are having 50% shorter OCI's in almost all countries outside some EU countries (Germany, France, Austria etc). Coming from one of those countries where OCI is 50% reduced, I personally owned 4 VW vehicles that racked up more then 200K miles (1.9tdi's), one Peugeot 1.6hdi (sold with 240K miles). Now my brother is at around 160K miles on Peugeot 2.2hdi 508 GT. All oil changes were done at 15,000km or some 9K miles. Skoda and VW service in Bosnia on 1.9tdi engines used in winter 5W30 oils and in summer 5W40, either Shell Helix, OMV or Castrol TDS 5W40 505.01.
Turbo can fail in any car. It could be long oci, manufacturer mistake in production, pushing car too hard when cold, or shutting it down immediately after running it too hot.
In the neighborhood where I live people usually step on full gas immediately when they get out of garage; BMW's, Mazda's, Mercedes, Toyota's, VW's etc. They are still running, until when, do not know, but that is example how stupid-proof engines became.

Last edited:
Mathson,

Originally Posted By: Mathson
DSG failed at 85 000km, timing chain at 118 000km. You can make conversion to miles. Only indication of chain stretch was a rattling noise of 5 sec at start up. When it first happened I called to a dealer but chain snapped before the service time.

Same happened to a college of mine on a 2010 VW Touran with TSI engine: timing chain went off after the warranty was over. However, the local dealer was kind enough to fix the problem at no cost. It looks like they wanted to keep a good reputation here of VW here, in Switzerland as this brand is very popular.

I would say that the timing chain issue was isolated on TSI engines, and not necessary the other models of VW were impacted.

Originally Posted By: volodymyr
Mathson,

DSG failed at 85 000km, timing chain at 118 000km. You can make conversion to miles. Only indication of chain stretch was a rattling noise of 5 sec at start up. When it first happened I called to a dealer but chain snapped before the service time.

Same happened to a college of mine on a 2010 VW Touran with TSI engine: timing chain went off after the warranty was over. However, the local dealer was kind enough to fix the problem at no cost. It looks like they wanted to keep a good reputation here of VW here, in Switzerland as this brand is very popular.

I would say that the timing chain issue was isolated on TSI engines, and not necessary the other models of VW were impacted.

Timing chain problems are very rear. DSG? All DSG's I saw that failed are because of two issues:
1. People do not change DSG fluid or they put some non-OEM or approved DSG fluid.
2. They drive car hard before all fluids, including DSG gets warmed up.

Mathson,

Timing chain problems are very rear. DSG? All DSG's I saw that failed are because of two issues:
1. People do not change DSG fluid or they put some non-OEM or approved DSG fluid.

Timing chain issues are very common among 1.2 and 1.4 TSI. Manufacturer has even changed the chain type for 1.2 tsi and when it comes to 7 speed dry clutch DSG there is no OCI for it.

Mathson,

Timing chain issues are very common among 1.2 and 1.4 TSI. Manufacturer has even changed the chain type for 1.2 tsi and when it comes to 7 speed dry clutch DSG there is no OCI for it.

Sorry, I was referring to 2.0TSI since in the US we do not have those engines. Recently VW started to bring 1.8TSI and Hybrid Jetta with 1.4TSI.
But, I know that these smaller engines had some issues, especially strongest version of 1.4TSI (piston issues).

I just bought a 2012 Volkswagen Golf GTI and it does say in the drivers manual that if the car is driven hard to let the engine idle/cool down the turbo for 2 mins.So not sure who the heck says the manual doesn't state this. It's there for all to read.

Originally Posted By: volkSWAGEN
I just bought a 2012 Volkswagen Golf GTI and it does say in the drivers manual that if the car is driven hard to let the engine idle/cool down the turbo for 2 mins.So not sure who the heck says the manual doesn't state this. It's there for all to read.

I think 2 min is overstatement. What I do when push car very hard, is that I slow down 5-10 min before destination and with that cool down engine and turbo.
But yes, most of the people who are buying these cars have no clue what is turbo, how it works etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back