The end for Clarkson / Top Gear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting that Clarkson himself reported the incident to his bosses. The producer didn't.

I watches several 2013 episodes on Netflix yesterday and just saw this thread.

He's the star of the show and should be back; it would suffer too much without him.

He's a rebel and I like it.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
why do i read the Discussion threads after the stories on this.

so many people making the same stupid comment over and over , that have no idea how this show is made... they keep complaining about how they can't understand why the BeeB is not airing the remaining shows that they've already filmed, and then talking of the bbc taking another hit from lost advertiser revenue.

I know most of you guys probably know all this, but i just need to get this rant off my chest, with out signing up for ANOTHER site, just to yell at some people.

1) the Full episodes are not Filmed. just the non Studio bits.
the parts in studio, (lead-ins to the filmed bits, "the News" "SIRPC", etc) are shot on the Weds before transmission.

2) There is no lost advertiser revenue, because the BBC isn't Commercial Television. there are no Commercials, it's basically a public, OTA Subscription service. you have to pay an annual license fee to get the channels.(yes this is an over simplified comparison, but in general it works)

Obviously you have never watched a BBC channel. Commercials are a source of their income as well.

Originally Posted By: kozanoglu
Obviously you have never watched a BBC channel. Commercials are a source of their income as well.

It's been a while that I have watched TV, but BBC One and Two used to not show any commercials. Maybe one of our UK posters can clarify.

hotwheels

Apparently the Stig drove a tank to BBC offices with a petition of one million signatures to reinstate Clarkson...
smile.gif

In the meantime, Clarkson called the BBC execs at a charity event of all things, in anticipation of getting sacked, something very bad. Now they have no choice but to give him the boot.

hotwheels

Have you seen the video of the bring back Clarkson petetion being delivered to the BBC by tank? There's a person dressed as the Stig riding on top.

Originally Posted By: kozanoglu

Nope, take it from someone who's lived in England for 30 years. They definitely don't advertise in the commercial sense.
In the breaks between shows the might be a promo-ad for an upcoming show prevent they're covering, but nobody advertises on the BBC.
They are funded entirely by the license payer. (foil hat guys say it's state sponsored propaganda)

^ not quite correct.

In the UK, there are no advertisements. But BBC America does have advertisements as does the website when accessed from outside the UK.

And the funding is not entirely the license payer because of the revenue from the aforementioned sources as well as revenue from selling shows around the world, in particular Top Gear.

Quote from Wiki:
Income from commercial enterprises and from overseas sales of its catalogue of programmes has substantially increased over recent years,[75] with BBC Worldwide contributing some £145 million to the BBC's core public service business.

According to the BBC's 2013/14 Annual Report, its total income was £5 billion (£5,066.0 million),[1] which can be broken down as follows:

£3,726.1 million in licence fees collected from householders;
£1,023.2 million from the BBC's Commercial Businesses;
£244.6 million from government grants, of which £238.5 million is from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office for the BBC World Service;
£72.1 million from other income, such as rental collections and royalties from overseas broadcasts of programming.[1]

So Clarkson may sign on with Netflix?

Top Gear may have a new presenter, a car collector, Jay Leno type.

Could be interesting.

I have felt that TG was getting old.

This just in. Clarkson's contract will not be renewed by the BBC.

Curious move by the BBC because the other two's contracts ,May and Hammond, expire soon.

Hoping that Clarkson, May and Hammond will move to one of the other stations that will be glad to have them. Maybe a new car show on Sky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back