Any long range bolt gunners on the board?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering what everyone is working with and if your loading your own. Here's what I run.

DSC_00202.jpg

I only have one big caliber rifle, a 338WM. A friend does my reloading. 185gr Hornady GMX bulets and Hornady powder.

You have an amazing collection. Can you describe them for us?

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
I only have one big caliber rifle, a 338WM. A friend does my reloading. 185gr Hornady GMX bulets and Hornady powder.

Please protect "your friend" who is doing your reloading. The ATF can really be picky about that process. They have picked on quite a few people in our area about this.

Smoky

Originally Posted By: Smoky14
Please protect "your friend" who is doing your reloading. The ATF can really be picky about that process. They have picked on quite a few people in our area about this.

How so?

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4

How so?

Say What?

Come on man you have to post some details about all those guns. Looks like a downfall of having a bunch of long range rifles is getting good glass on them all.

If you leave the area, he uses any of his components, if his and yours are mixed; he must have a license, charge fed tax etc.
It would serve you well to read the ATF manuals, it is a minefield of bear droppings to wade through.
Smoky

Some details please! That's quite the collection. Is the middle one a .50BMG? What are you plans for optics on the ones not equipped?

If you leave the area, he uses any of his components, if his and yours are mixed; he must have a license, charge fed tax etc.
It would serve you well to read the ATF manuals, it is a minefield of bear droppings to wade through.
Smoky
You could post the info. And all those cases you referenced in your first post. I've never seen it concluded reloading a little ammo for a friend is illegal. It may not be wise.

Quote:
Is a person who reloads ammunition required to be licensed as a manufacturer?
Yes, if the person engages in the business of selling or distributing reloads for the purpose of livelihood and profit. No, if the person reloads only for personal use.
[18 U.S.C. 922(a) (i) and 923(a), 27 CFR 478.41]

Looks like someone has an addiction to Accuracy International stocks! Or are they AI built rifles? Either way, nice collection!

Smoky

Actually, he reloads for me and I drive him to the range for shooting. He was injured in Iraq and is stuck in a wheel chair. The ATF is no help here. I'm the one that chased him out of the house to do something other than watch TV. I take him sailing too. And I toss him overboard and make him swim back to the ladder. I'm also teaching him to be a SCUBA diver like I learned as a SARC preparing for Vietnam in the 60's. His legs are gone but he's good at reloading and getting better at swimming. If he get through the swimming it's off to sky diving. No pity parties allowed.

From Left to right

Accuracy International AE MKI in .308 with a Zeiss Diavari6-24x56 in Badger Ordnance USMC Rings

Accuracy International AT in .308 no optic with an AI mount 0MOA

Rogers Rifles custom .338 Lapua built on a Remington 700 ultra mag action. Pac Nor barrel and brake. Badger recoil lug, Sako extractor, KMW bolt knob with a Jewell trigger. Badger 20moa base all loaded into an AICS 2.0

Accuracy international AW50 .50 BMG

Accuracy International AWSM 1.0 .338 Lapua with an AI 20MOA mount on it

Accuracy International AWM 2.0 .300WM This has an S&B 12-50x56 on it in an AI 20MOA mount.

Accuracy International AW 2.0 in .308 Nightforce NSX 8-32x56 in AI 20MOA mount

With the exception of the Custom gun, I only run AI. Scopes can be an issue in that it's hard to see money tied up on rifles you hardly ever shoot. The .50 has a NF that goes on it, I just don't mount it. I have another 3 NF scopes and a couple of MK4 Luppys around and one other S&B.

The ones that have scopes always get the 1st call when hitting the range, the rest are just there. I have fun with them, I've been an AI guy for over 10 years now.

As far as reloading goes, I'm not going to get to deep into it, but either you have ATF agents that are overstepping their bounds and enforcing things improperly or your interpretation of the book is off. Either way I'd like to know what book and article you are referencing.

My Sako 995 338Lm is not exactly a long range rifle.
264 WM, 700 Sendero 20 MOA rail, 4.5-30 6500,
and 7mm WSM M1000 also 4.5-30 are the two that can
shoot far better than the owner can.

The sleeper is a 325 WSM Coyote Lite, 2.5-16X50 illum.
That caliber with 160 TTSX in an A-Bolt dropped a Stone Sheep
at 500 Meters @7,000ft last fall.
A little under scoped 3-9X40 Zeiss.

Shooting beyond 1K yards is mind blowing. As you put it, most rifles firing bullets designed for distance are at the limit of the driver. At that kinda distance it takes tons of trigger time to master.

Smoky

Actually, he reloads for me and I drive him to the range for shooting. He was injured in Iraq and is stuck in a wheel chair. The ATF is no help here. I'm the one that chased him out of the house to do something other than watch TV. I take him sailing too. And I toss him overboard and make him swim back to the ladder. I'm also teaching him to be a SCUBA diver like I learned as a SARC preparing for Vietnam in the 60's. His legs are gone but he's good at reloading and getting better at swimming. If he get through the swimming it's off to sky diving. No pity parties allowed.

You, sir are a fine man and a good friend!

Originally Posted By: bradepb

Smoky

You, sir are a fine man and a good friend!

Thank you for your kind words but this is a self serving project all by itself. There's no money, no headlines and no government. I can't tell you how much fun it is to toss someone overboard and yelling, sink or swim. So far he has opted for swimming and that's better than the couch.

There are too many government agencies and government employees butting into our lives and trying to tell us how to live. And worse, there are citizens buying into it and contributing to the problems.

My friend was waiting 2 months for his VA physical therapy appointments to begin. So it was off to sailing for him and getting tossed overboard to do some swimming. We rigged up a rowing machine for him that we now call the "stump pumper" and it really works to give an exhausting work out for all the body parts he still has left. The local gym gave him a free lifetime membership and several local taxi drivers give him free rides which is more than I can say for Uber that refused to pick him up when they saw the wheel chair. He was told he should have been charged "surge" pricing by the Uber driver. So, it appear that local one-on-one help is always the best. Big government and big corporations like Uber can't see through the rules and regulations and are not interested in the person hidden by it all, unless there's a photo op.

As far as this warning about reloading and the ATF, well the ATF can take a flying leap. We follow all the guidelines about pressures, powders and technique. I think the ATF would be better off doing something productive, like their job.

Smoky

If you do not SELL reloaded ammunition...you do not need a license, charge exise tax or worry about the ATF etc. It is OK to swap components, reloads with a shooting buddy.

Originally Posted By: ammolab
It would serve you well to read the ATF manuals, it is a minefield of bear droppings to wade through.Smoky
If you do not SELL reloaded ammunition...you do not need a license, charge exise tax or worry about the ATF etc. It is OK to swap components, reloads with a shooting buddy.
Agreed; I am not sure where that came from because if a person is not SELLING ammunition, then they are not a manufacturer and the ATF has zero reason or jurisdiction to try to intervene.

you have a very nice collection, I shoot a little distance but im fairly new to it myself with only 4-5 years and a small collection of Rifles. Id love to shoot a .338 & 50BMG just once (so I could say I have) .223 30-06 and 300WM are the only rifles that qualify as accurate in my personal collection for around 300-400 yard shooting. Ive done some 500 yard plinking and did OK with "area targets", but I don't own the Glass to get me where id want to be.. Maybe someday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back