2015 5.3L ECOTEC3 - Oil Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I'd like to listen to one of those new GM truck engines running with 0W-20. I can't imagine them being the least bit quiet.

The direct injection is the source of most of the noise on these motors. I can't say I notice any difference in noise when the motor is cold (and oil is thick) compared to when it's fully up to temp (oil is warm).

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
I guess its ok for me to start using 0W-20 in my older 5.3.
I've already mixed some 0w-20 quarts in with my 0W-30. 2 of 6

The 2014+ GM EcoTec 5.3 L83 is completely new compared to the previous generation Vortec 5.3 It was designed with a 20 weight in mind while the Vortec was designed for 30 weight. Not to say you coudn't run a 20 weight but it's not advisable.

Originally Posted By: gonefishing
The 2014+ GM EcoTec 5.3 L83 is completely new compared to the previous generation Vortec 5.3 It was designed with a 20 weight in mind while the Vortec was designed for 30 weight. Not to say you coudn't run a 20 weight but it's not advisable.

I bet the short block is the same. I've been looking around but can't find a straight concise answer.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Originally Posted By: gonefishing

I bet the short block is the same. I've been looking around but can't find a straight concise answer.

The block is all new too. Here is some information on the Gen5 small block:

Cylinder block: the all-new Gen V cylinder block shares two key design elements with GM’s original small-block V8: a 90-degree cylinder angle and 4.400-inch bore centers. The bore and stroke dimensions are: 4.06-inch (103.25 mm) bore x 3.62-inch (92 mm) stroke. Compared to the Gen IV small block, the Gen V’s aluminum cylinder block casting is all-new, but based on the same basic architecture. It was refined and modified to accommodate the mounting of the engine-driven fuel pump and vacuum pump. It also incorporates new engine mount attachments, new knock sensor locations, improved sealing and oil-spray piston cooling.

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-engines/lt1/#ixzz3V2swvFRV

Let's start our technical discussion with the parts that GM carried over from the Gen 4 engine design. Yep, that's all of them... A couple of bolts, the wrist pins, a retainer or two, and the LS3 locks. That's it. Literally everything else in the Gen 5 LT1 engine is brand new and was designed specifically for the new Gen 5 engine platform.

gen5-web-02.jpg

Read more: http://www.superchevy.com/news/ghtp-1210-gen5-inside-gms-all-new-lt1-small-block/#ixzz3V2u2HTcY
Follow us: @SuperChevy on Twitter | SuperChevyMag on Facebook

^^^Thank you, nice pic!

The basic bores and such stay the same due to them not wanting to set up new machinery to make the block. Can't say I blame them...

I'm still not convinced they did anything special to "design" this engine for 0W-20 oil.

You're saying the crank journals, bearing materials, rods and pistons are different?

I thought this was interesting:

Both the crankshaft and connecting rods ride on all new Polymer Coated Bi-metal eccentric bearings

They redesigned the whole thing and it looks like they've committed to direct injection. Many millions to gain a few mpg. No wonder they can't make any money.

This thing is going to be harder to hot rod.

Can't speak to every other owner, but my 2013 Chevy came with the free oil change thing, and so did my new 2015 2500HD. I have never taken advantage of the free oil chenge thing, and never will. For one, it is not free and in fact costs me more than just buying what I need and doing it myself. Why would that be? Because I do not live in a metro area like many folks. By the time I take time off from my business, with a potential loss of $500 or more in lost revenue, drive the several miles and consume several gallons of fuel to and from the dealer, etc, it would cost me more to do the "free" oil change thing. Probably why GM is cutting back on the warranty and free service amounts. Some of us just never use it and it does not weigh much on our buying decisions.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
For one, it is not free and in fact costs me more than just buying what I need and doing it myself.

get a free oil change, get a 500 dollar scratch or ding in the paint.

or if you have a special high performance vehicle, have it taken on a joyride.

Originally Posted By: Alex38
Get yourself a catch can, run whatever name brand synthetic 0w20 you prefer, change when the OLM indicates, and drive the wheels off of that truck.

My brother bought a new Silverado last spring, and has been using PP in his. He said it's surprising how much gunk the catch can traps before it can go back into your engine.

Before you install a catch can talk to your local dealer about warranty issues. It has been a problem on the truck boards.....

Well, that is because some of those folks haven't figured out that the catch can can be uninstalled in quick manner before taking to a dealer. I have used a catch can on my last pickup since it was new and it got installed last night on my new 2015. I can have it uninstalled and PCV back to normal in a few minutes with only a flat tip screw driver. It would be stupid to disallow a warranty concern over this stuff. All it does is filter the crankcase gasses for oil and particulates before the crankcase gasses reenter the intake. But dealer shop are loaded with folks that are not firing on all thrusters. Why would it be ok to filter outside air coming in the intake yet not be a good thing to filter the crankcase gasses before entering the intake? Some shop personnel are dumber than road bumps.

I just hope These new GM requirement for 0w20 oil in these new gm pickups don't cause excessive timing chain and valve train wear

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Well, that is because some of those folks haven't figured out that the catch can can be uninstalled in quick manner before taking to a dealer. I have used a catch can on my last pickup since it was new and it got installed last night on my new 2015. I can have it uninstalled and PCV back to normal in a few minutes with only a flat tip screw driver. It would be stupid to disallow a warranty concern over this stuff. All it does is filter the crankcase gasses for oil and particulates before the crankcase gasses reenter the intake. But dealer shop are loaded with folks that are not firing on all thrusters. Why would it be ok to filter outside air coming in the intake yet not be a good thing to filter the crankcase gasses before entering the intake? Some shop personnel are dumber than road bumps.

I'm not saying it's good or bad for the truck. But I know of at least one case where a dealer warned a customer to take it off or it will invalidate the warranty. BTW-there have been the same things said about violating the warranty using a K&N filter. What ever the intelligence of dealer personal-those are the guys you need to deal with concerning warranty issues.

Originally Posted By: Ram01
I just hope These new GM requirement for 0w20 oil in these new gm pickups don't cause excessive timing chain and valve train wear.

I wouldn't wait for that to happen. I'd change it out as soon as I got home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back