Is Castrol Magnatec their top of the line?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. Their gold bottle with titanium is their toop of the line product.. And it is one of the very best oils on the market in my opinion. I would gladly say that the titanium performs so strong over the first 4k miles it's something else. Hardly any drop off in gas mileage and performance during that time frame. One of the few products that I really think one could run 10k or more and it could actually do that safely. I am not brand loyal but I would say Castrol is top to bottom offers a strong line of products. But heck, so do a number of other companies as well.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
No it is not

It is their synthetic blend replacement

That's disappointing. Why not put your most intelligent molecules in your best oil?

A few years ago everyone pretty much agreed German Castrol was the best oil on the market. Now I feel it's really muddled.

GC is not really GC. It's not as good. It has PAO or it doesn't.

M1 0W-40 is the best. But AFE 0W-20 has more PAO.

but if then than yellow bottle

I ran that in my car.. It is fantastic but like the 14 point buck in the woods... Hard to spot and take down
smile.gif

IMHO, now days, all major brands of oil are not, repeat are not gonna mess up your engine. But oil selection is personal, I guess.

I just use Pennzoil nowadays and try not to get emotionally disturb over it. At one time I was a Havoline oil nut and it worked well, never lost an engine, but now I somewhat older, lazy and the old Buick just gets dino Pennzoil and all is well, o yea, I am still a MMO user, from the Harley down to our old pushmower and the 15 year old LX288 John Deere rider mower,,,believer it or not, it still has the original engine. It mows 3 acres ,3 times a month, ancient in it days now, but still works.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
That's disappointing. Why not put your most intelligent molecules in your best oil?

You realize that is just Castrol's marking mumbo jumbo, don't you? Edge also has the clinging molecules, just accomplished with a different formulation.

Quote:
A few years ago everyone pretty much agreed German Castrol was the best oil on the market. Now I feel it's really muddled.

GC still meets some of the most stringent car mfg specs in existence today, so from that stand point, it is still a great oil, comparable to M1 0w-40.

Quote:
GC is not really GC. It's not as good.

M1 0W-40 is the best.

Can you prove it? If not, then it's just your opinion. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it doesn't automatically make it the truth.

Quote:

but if then than yellow bottle

Not really sure what you were trying to say here. Try again.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Magnatec comes in both, synthetic and synthetic blend.

Right. The xw/20s are a full syn and the xw/30s are a blend. This makes no sense to me, but then again, Castrol's marketing rarely does.

That said, I did opt for the 5w/20 for an infrequently-driven car. The thought of those magnetized lubricants hanging on during storage is oddly comforting.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: turtlevette

You realize that is just Castrol's marking mumbo jumbo, don't you? Edge also has the clinging molecules, just accomplished with a different formulation.

Can you prove it? If not, then it's just your opinion. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it doesn't automatically make it the truth.

It was communicated to me by a Castrol employee. I dont care if you believe it or not. Edge is still Castrol's top of the line product, not magnatec.

Castrol has used the Magnatec name for synthetic products in other countries for quite a while, but it is a new name for the North American market.

As far as "intellegent molecules" that cling to your engine parts, synthetic oils by their very nature cling to metal parts better than conventional. This is not new news. I would be surprised if the synthetic group 3 basestock in Magnatec is any different than what is in Edge.

Originally Posted By: SEMI_287
Running Magnatec 5W20 in my moms Jeep. Seems smooth so far.

These comments always make me wonder.......Have you ever used an oil that seemed "Rough?"

I did find Pennzoil that made the lifters clack in my chebby van back in the '70s......Other than that, oil always seems "Smooth" to me. I look for......Other characteristics.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
It was communicated to me by a Castrol employee. I dont care if you believe it or not. Edge is still Castrol's top of the line product, not magnatec.

Oh, a Castrol Employee? The guy who loads the truck with cases of oil?
grin.gif
Actually, I believe you, but that's my choice, not the rock solid information in your post.

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
Originally Posted By: SEMI_287
Running Magnatec 5W20 in my moms Jeep. Seems smooth so far.

These comments always make me wonder.......Have you ever used an oil that seemed "Rough?"

I did find Pennzoil that made the lifters clack in my chebby van back in the '70s......Other than that, oil always seems "Smooth" to me. I look for......Other characteristics.

Acoustically, yes. Some oils have more noticeable noise in her engine. Does this mean anything? Absolutely not

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back