Best oil for AR15 lubricant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I used Mobil One 0w40 for my car. I also used it as lubricant for my AR15. I see some guys used 10W30 or 5w30. So I am wondering which type of car oil is best for gun lubrication?

Anyone feel interesting about this topic?

Frog lube had become my favorite. After several hundred rounds, the carbon wipes off. Love this stuff!

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
I use Slip 2000 gun lube. I prefer to keep my engine oils in my engines, my guns get gun specific oils. Gun oil goes a long way.

Yes, but I guess both gun and motor engine has some very similar working environment, right?

Originally Posted By: minc
Originally Posted By: donnyj08
I use Slip 2000 gun lube. I prefer to keep my engine oils in my engines, my guns get gun specific oils. Gun oil goes a long way.

Yes, but I guess both gun and motor engine has some very similar working environment, right?

Some, but not much. But the lubricant has the same job.

I use Break Free CLP and Hoppe's powder solvent. Use the powder solvent first, then wipe it down with CLP. Has been working well for me for a very long time.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
I use Break Free CLP and Hoppe's powder solvent. Use the powder solvent first, then wipe it down with CLP. Has been working well for me for a very long time.

+1 - My combo exactly

Weapon Shield CLP is my go to lube. I use Brian Enos slide glide for my grease needs. Some might recognize George C. Fennel of weapon shield from his original creation of FP-10, prior to the formulation changes recently after he moved on.

Have several ammo cans of various products I've been through over the years and everything has fell short of WS for cleanup, lube, and corrosion protection. Have used corrosion-X on occasions on hunting rifles and AR-15s before hog hunting trips that I know they would see rain, clay mud, and swamps just as a little extra protection.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Robenstein
An old Marine I knew who was in Nam used 15w50 Mobil 1.

Can't argue with success but motor oil absorbs water. Other oils do not.

Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: Robenstein
An old Marine I knew who was in Nam used 15w50 Mobil 1.

Can't argue with success but motor oil absorbs water. Other oils do not.

Some gun specific lubes do...Ballistol for instance.

I guess I'm going against the grain here as I use gun oil.

I haven't seen a gun with an oil pump* that feeds pressurized bearings or exhausts through a catalytic converter. While I have seen IC engines with valve trains that are exposed the elements they weren't made in this century.

Gun are a kind of IC engine but that's where the similarities stop. Firearms run for milliseconds at a time and have huge shock loads. Pretty much any centerfire firearm is going to be worn out after 100,000 shots (cycles), a number a engine running at 1700 RPM reaches in about an hour.

BSW

*I know some machine guns have oil pumps that oil the cartridge, but that's for extraction reliablity.

Automotive engine oils do not provide the best protection and lubrication for firearms. Period. Best lubricants for the AR-15 are products that have been tested and passed the relevant MIL-PRF specifications. Break-Free CLP and SLIP 2000 Gun Lube. If you need a RBC for copper fouling on an AR-type then look at Montana Copper Killer, it's one of few (out of dozens of copper solvents) that is proven safe with aluminum receivers and mil-spec finishes.

Originally Posted By: bsmithwins
I guess I'm going against the grain here as I use gun oil.

I haven't seen a gun with an oil pump* that feeds pressurized bearings or exhausts through a catalytic converter. While I have seen IC engines with valve trains that are exposed the elements they weren't made in this century.

Gun are a kind of IC engine but that's where the similarities stop. Firearms run for milliseconds at a time and have huge shock loads. Pretty much any centerfire firearm is going to be worn out after 100,000 shots (cycles), a number a engine running at 1700 RPM reaches in about an hour.

BSW

*I know some machine guns have oil pumps that oil the cartridge, but that's for extraction reliablity.

You make the point I think.

Originally Posted By: BlownF150
Automotive engine oils do not provide the best protection and lubrication for firearms. Period. Best lubricants for the AR-15 are products that have been tested and passed the relevant MIL-PRF specifications. Break-Free CLP and SLIP 2000 Gun Lube. If you need a RBC for copper fouling on an AR-type then look at Montana Copper Killer, it's one of few (out of dozens of copper solvents) that is proven safe with aluminum receivers and mil-spec finishes.

Ok! I will.

Almost any lubricant that can provide some friction reduction and handle the high heat and pressure that the ar-15 BCG takes will work.

I agree with the others that say motor oil is a marginal gun lube. If you are going to use a motor oil, I prefer a thicker, heavier oil that stays in place. 15w-40 or 20w-50 HDEO is preferred for thickness and better additive package compared to a normal automotive oil.

My favorite lube is corrosionX. It clings well, reduces friction, lasts a long time, is an excellent rust preventer and can be used to clean. It is basically non toxic, has a very mild odor and is cheaper than a lot of gun specific lubricants out there. I highly recommend corrosionX!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back