Final Drive Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just purchased a used high hour Hitachi EX220LC-3 Excavator. I have changed all the fluids except for the final drive motors. The factory Hitachi manual specs out a GL4 gear lube. I cannot find this fluid anywhere in bulk. I have talked to guys that are running GL5 but no one from the lubes tech lines will recommend using a GL5 due to the different Add Pack. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Im not really sure a tractor fluid would be really right here.
A GL-4 oil cant be hard to find..search some more.
Or find a dual rated GL4/5 oil, perfectly good.
Keep track of the levels, sometimes they rise due to leakage from
the hydrauli Engines, also make sure all Wents are open or you could end up with a lot of pressure in the gear boxes.
You´ve got a rather big chunk of metal there.

GL4 is a manual transmission fluid, so have a look at those in the viscosity you need.

dual rated oils have a compatible add pack, but are usually heavy when cold.

From mobil:6.5 Liters aprox 2.5 gallons??
1st choice Mobilube 1 SHC 75W-90
2nd choice Mobilube S 80W-90
3rd choice Mobilube GX 80W-90

Expensive piece and Heavy wheight to repair so take good care of it. I have a Akerman H14 roughly 55000 Pounds of excavator..

You should also periodically esp Before Winter drain any water thats been condensing in your gearboxes and tanks.
It aint fun when your turning gearbox has got a crack in it because of ice inside....
- it might be a good idea to take an oil sample from the large
hydraulic tank to se if your oil really needs to changed.

You might want to take a look at some of the Universal Tractor Transmission Oils (UTTO) but if you do I would advise you to stick with a major brand and read the labels carefully. These fluids are as susceptible to 'weasel wording' as many others so watch out for 'recommended' or 'suitable' etc. If you're not sure I can list you some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back