Quicksilver 20w-50 or VR1 for 2011 Harley 103ci?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I travel back and forth to my original home in Mobile, but I currently reside in Huntsville. I ride in Florida pretty often as well. That's why I said "Gulf Coast".

I change the oil every 3500-4500 miles. I have two bikes so annual mileage on this one varies from 3000-6000 miles per year. I change the primary and transmission oil every 10,000 if I remember right. I'm coming up on my 20k service.

I sent in a sample of the Quicksilver 20W-50 straight from the jug to the WIX lab (via NAPA). Since I could not find a VAO on this site I thought I would contribute and let those who are experienced in interpreting the results make some comments. If the analysis comes back positive I may give it a try on my upcoming oil change. I will post the results in the analysis section when I receive them. It cost me just under $16 for the test including tax and shipping.

Originally Posted By: ericj205
I travel back and forth to my original home in Mobile, but I currently reside in Huntsville. I ride in Florida pretty often as well. That's why I said "Gulf Coast".

I change the oil every 3500-4500 miles. I have two bikes so annual mileage on this one varies from 3000-6000 miles per year. I change the primary and transmission oil every 10,000 if I remember right. I'm coming up on my 20k service.

I sent in a sample of the Quicksilver 20W-50 straight from the jug to the WIX lab (via NAPA). Since I could not find a VAO on this site I thought I would contribute and let those who are experienced in interpreting the results make some comments. If the analysis comes back positive I may give it a try on my upcoming oil change. I will post the results in the analysis section when I receive them. It cost me just under $16 for the test including tax and shipping.

Thanks. Look forward to seeing your VOA.

living in a hot climate riding a hot running air-cooled V-twin requires top quality real synthetic fluids for long life + cooler running. your choices are Redline a group V ester oils + lubes, Amsoil group IV + V lubricants + mobil I which "may' have some group IV PAO base oil in it still. real synthetics tolerate more heat, they are cleaner with NO waxes that are present in petroleum products, they flow + lubricate better because all the man made oil molecules are the same, also reduce heat for that reason. i use Amsoil premium synthetic 20-50 in my 106 cu in Victory, i used Redline lubes in the tranny of my traded harley, your bike your $$$ your choice, ride safe!! if your close to a warehouse you can save $$ by ordering then pickup, otherwise i will be quickly delivered bp UPS

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: benjy
living in a hot climate riding a hot running air-cooled V-twin requires top quality real synthetic fluids for long life + cooler running. your choices are Redline a group V ester oils + lubes, Amsoil group IV + V lubricants + mobil I which "may' have some group IV PAO base oil in it still. real synthetics tolerate more heat, they are cleaner with NO waxes that are present in petroleum products, they flow + lubricate better because all the man made oil molecules are the same, also reduce heat for that reason. i use Amsoil premium synthetic 20-50 in my 106 cu in Victory, i used Redline lubes in the tranny of my traded harley, your bike your $$$ your choice, ride safe!! if your close to a warehouse you can save $$ by ordering then pickup, otherwise i will be quickly delivered bp UPS

Someone likes the kool aid. One of the BEST performing oils on here(backed by UOA's) is a conventional Valvoline PCMO oil...VR1. This was in a hot running harley twin cam.

Just because it is expensive does not always mean it stands heads and shoulders above the rest.

Went to Advance to get some Mob1 motorcycle oil and noticed that the 20-50, labled "V Twin" is not Jaso rated. The 10-40 "4T Racing" is Jaso MA.

JASO stands for the Japanese automotive standards organization, which is their equivalent to America's API standard. So unless you have a Japanese vehicle, it doesn't mean anything for a american made V-Twin oil.,,

Originally Posted By: tc1446
Went to Advance to get some Mob1 motorcycle oil and noticed that the 20-50, labled "V Twin" is not Jaso rated. The 10-40 "4T Racing" is Jaso MA.

Im impressed you noticed that. Not sure if anyone has ever. But Mobile states its good for your clutch too. Im shocked its not Jaso rated. Keep in mind, Jaso rating is not the golden egg if another company feels they can do something better BUT, just like all standards, it is a standard for motorcycles that lets you know your clutch will be ok.
As far as the post above, that is incorrect. API does not have a rating for safe motorcycle usage. Almost all motorcycles state what Jaso rated oil to use and the ones who do not will most likely recommend an API C rated oil or a combination of both.

Mobile 1 fact sheet Click here Mobile sheet

Last edited:
You sir are incorrect. the jaso rating only applies to bikes that use 10/40 wt oil. Even Harley, that says to use 10/40wt oil when the temp is under 40f, doesn't state their bikes need an oil that meets a Japanese standard. I've stated a thousand times about there's no API standard for motorcycle oil. That's probably where you heard it.,,

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
You sir are incorrect. the jaso rating only applies to bikes that use 10/40 wt oil. Even Harley, that says to use 10/40wt oil when the temp is under 40f, doesn't state their bikes need an oil that meets a Japanese standard. I've stated a thousand times about there's no API standard for motorcycle oil. That's probably where you heard it.,,

Not true. JASO oil does not have to be 10/40.

http://www.oilspecifications.org/articles/JASO_MA_JASO_MB.php.

Valvoline 20/50 meets JASO specs.

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/4_stroke_motorcycle.pdf

Rotella T 15/40 meets JASO specs.

http://www.shell.com/rotella/products/tpl-pro.html

Amsoil 20/40, 20/50 & 60 all meet JASO specs.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/motorcycle/

Last edited:
This is good, Im going through some of the same decision making with a 2006 883 I just picked up. Was decided on M! 20W50 but now being wooed by the VR1 conversation. I dont believe in buy harley lubes because they are "made" for the bike. They are made to make them money.
My biggest decision now is what to put in primary/transmission. leaning toward Mobil or Valvoline 75W90....

Originally Posted By: SJohnson
Originally Posted By: BigCahuna

Not true. JASO oil does not have to be 10/40.

http://www.oilspecifications.org/articles/JASO_MA_JASO_MB.php.

Valvoline 20/50 meets JASO specs.

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/4_stroke_motorcycle.pdf

Rotella T 15/40 meets JASO specs.

http://www.shell.com/rotella/products/tpl-pro.html

Amsoil 20/40, 20/50 & 60 all meet JASO specs.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/motorcycle/
Pardon me, I thought we were talking about oil use as it pertains to Harley's in this thread. Still if a API oil is readily available like some of those you posted,the jaso standard is pointless.,,

Lets clarify a few things here, some non harley people are posting, all that is fine but to not confuse anyone...
1. Harley Davidson does not recommend ANY Jaso rated oil. Harley recommends for their engines API CH or higher oil in their new bikes.
2. After a quick search Indian requires an API SM oil, no mention of Jaso.
3. Most metric bikes require Jaso.
4. All the above as far as Harley goes is for engine oil. For the primary I would use Harley products or to be safe something stating its meets Jaso MA or MA2 and Jaso does set the standard for oil friction requirements for wet clutches.
5. Jaso rated oil can be any weight oil that meets Jaso standards much like API oil.
6. The Jaso standard is just something to make you feel safe if in doubt and concerned about a wet clutch, however interestingly I do not THINK Indian states anything but API SM.

Last edited:
Just to clarify:
JASO MA spec requires the phosphorus content of an oil to be between 800-1200 ppm. That is why Mobil1 V-Twin (1600ppm) may not carry the label.

Originally Posted By: 1bioguy
This is good, Im going through some of the same decision making with a 2006 883 I just picked up. Was decided on M! 20W50 but now being wooed by the VR1 conversation. I dont believe in buy harley lubes because they are "made" for the bike. They are made to make them money.
My biggest decision now is what to put in primary/transmission. leaning toward Mobil or Valvoline 75W90....

I read up quite a bit on transmission fluids. For me personally I don't know why people put gear oil in transmissions after reading what I have read, if it was the right fluid to use, it would be recommended but its not.
Gear oil is made for differentials not transmissions although SOME companies have now made their gear oils safer.
Disadvantages to gear oil can be deterioration of the oil seals and possible corrosion of soft metals such as synchos.
Using motoroil in the transmission OR oil labeled as manual transmission fluid would be a safer choice.
If gear oil was the magic oil it would be used from the factory but its not. To add some creditability to this, even Amsoil chart shows using engine oil in the transmission of a Harley as Excellent and their gear oil as Good.

If using gear oil was the golden egg, it would be used.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Atesz792
Just to clarify:
JASO MA spec requires the phosphorus content of an oil to be between 800-1200 ppm. That is why Mobil1 V-Twin (1600ppm) may not carry the label.

Excellent post

Being Harley doesn't require an oil that meets jaso standards,and according to the VOA posted here,Syn 3 doesn't meet that standard, using anything but Harley oil would mean your using the wrong type of oil.And we all know what happens when you use anything but Harley oil. How did we ever live for the last 110 years using any other oil but Harley's oil? Most people I started riding with in the early '70's, didn't know Harley even sold oil until they started with their boutique stores. They used auto part store oil. And a good percentage of those bikes are still running around today.40 plus years later.And they all got gear oil in the transmissions. Because as today, it's make them quieter and shift better. Don't get hung up on any particular brand or "rating" as it's been proven thousands of times over you can use just about any oil in your bike and it will last longer then your desire to own it does.,,

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Lets clarify a few things here, some non harley people are posting, all that is fine but to not confuse anyone...
1. Harley Davidson does not recommend ANY Jaso rated oil. Harley recommends for their engines API CH or higher oil in their new bikes.
4. All the above as far as Harley goes is for engine oil. For the primary I would use Harley products or to be safe something stating its meets Jaso MA or MA2 and Jaso does set the standard for oil friction requirements for wet clutches.
5. Jaso rated oil can be any weight oil that meets Jaso standards much like API oil.
6. The Jaso standard is just something to make you feel safe if in doubt and concerned about a wet clutch, however interestingly I do not THINK Indian states anything but API SM.

Yes they say to use a C rated diesel if HD 360 oil is not available. They also state to change back at the first opportunity to 100 percent HD oil. Only use non HD C rated oil until you get to a dealer to get HD oil. HD primary oil is a 20-50 oil. After market 20-50 oils are fine. HD transmission is a 20-50 oil. Gear oil is a 20-50 oil. So using a gear oil is fine.
Harley only recommends Dunlop HD tires. Will you only run HD tires?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 1bioguy

I read up quite a bit on transmission fluids. For me personally I don't know why people put gear oil in transmissions after reading what I have read, if it was the right fluid to use, it would be recommended but its not.
Gear oil is made for differentials not transmissions although SOME companies have now made their gear oils safer.
Disadvantages to gear oil can be deterioration of the oil seals and possible corrosion of soft metals such as synchos.
Using motoroil in the transmission OR oil labeled as manual transmission fluid would be a safer choice.
If gear oil was the magic oil it would be used from the factory but its not. To add some creditability to this, even Amsoil chart shows using engine oil in the transmission of a Harley as Excellent and their gear oil as Good.

If using gear oil was the golden egg, it would be used.

I asked the parts guy at the harley dealer what was the Forumla+ ? He said "gear oil"...
Thats why i want to find a product good for my bike that doesnt say HD on the label.

Originally Posted By: dr2152

Yes they say to use a C rated diesel if HD 360 oil is not available. They also state to change back at the first opportunity to 100 percent HD oil. Only use non HD C rated oil until you get to a dealer to get HD oil. HD primary oil is a 20-50 oil. After market 20-50 oils are fine. HD transmission is a 20-50 oil. Gear oil is a 20-50 oil. So using a gear oil is fine.

You confirmed in the owners Harley says API C oil is fine, not sure what the conversation is about. Of course they think their oil is best but still still you that API C rating, like Indian gives you that API SM.
I don't disagree with the Primary or Transmission oils being 20/50 since Harley uses that grade.
Using GL5 gear oil is not even close to GL1 which is what motoroil is. GL5 gear lube can be corrosive and it can also affect oil seals. I don't care what the maker of the bike is, why would someone choose a totally different fluid then what is recommended. Maybe that's why Harley got a reputation for oils leaks, people putting in gear lube.

Tires? Your not serious. But to answer your question, I will use the tire size stated for the bike, just like I will use the viscosity oil recommended for the engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dr2152

You confirmed in the owners Harley says API C oil is fine, not sure what the conversation is about. Of course they think their oil is best but still still you that API C rating, like Indian gives you that API SM.
I don't disagree with the Primary or Transmission oils being 20/50 since Harley uses that grade.
Using GL5 gear oil is not even close to GL1 which is what motoroil is. GL5 gear lube can be corrosive and it can also affect oil seals. I don't care what the maker of the bike is, why would someone choose a totally different fluid then what is recommended. Maybe that's why Harley got a reputation for oils leaks, people putting in gear lube.

Tires? Your not serious. But to answer your question, I will use the tire size stated for the bike, just like I will use the viscosity oil recommended for the engine.

HD 360 is not a C rated oil. The old HD oil leaks were from the engine not the transmission. GL5 is a 20-50 oil and some are corrosive to yellow metals. Big Twins do not have yellow metals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back