2015 5.3L ECOTEC3 - Oil Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
New 2015 Silverado and have put nearly 3,000 miles on it and planning first oil change. I have traditionally been a conventional oil guy but ready to go synthetic. Mobil 1 is what I am considering but would be grateful for comments on oil and filter. Here are the basics.
1) Vehicle is 2015 Chevy Silverado LTZ 5.3L V8 ECOTEC3, auto trans, trailer pack, axle 3.08.
2) Manual recommends dexos1 typ SAE 0W-20 (5.3) ACDelco dexos1 synthetic blend, change at 3,000 miles.
3) I live on the gulf coast near Houston.
4) Not an easy or slow driver, so I guess it's hard and fast, LOL!
5) I drive interstate 100 miles round trip to work with a bit of driving around town daily.
6) No known problems yet, less than 3,000 miles so far.

Any synthetic 0w20/5w20 or 0w30/5w30. I would probably opt for a 5w30 due to your climate. Most likely M1 or PP or QSUD. I find it hard to believe that they recommend a 3000 mile OCI??? I always did 5000.

Is there an OLM on that truck???

Last edited:
Don't all new Chevy's come with free oil change/tire rotations for the first 2 year/24k? I would stick with that and after use a quality synthetic like PP or Mobil 1. Both are Dexos1 approved.

Originally Posted By: Roymac

2) Manual recommends dexos1 typ SAE 0W-20 (5.3) ACDelco dexos1 synthetic blend, change at 3,000 miles.

Might want to double check the part about the manual recommending 3K intervals. As far as I can see, the only thing the manual states about oil changes is to go by the OLM system UNLESS it is accidentally reset, then change it at 3K miles since the last change. 3K mile changes will double or triple your oil change expenses over what they actually recommend.
Quote:
If the system is ever reset accidentally, the oil must be changed at 5 000 km (3,000 mi) since the last oil change. Remember to reset the oil life system whenever the oil is changed.

Last edited:
Use the OLM and your choice of Dexos1 oil. With your driving it will probably be near 10k OCI's.

The AC Delco 0w-20 is a ExxonMobil product and is all Group 3 oil. If you wanted to step up the M1 EP 0w-20 is a predominately Group 4 (PAO) oil.

Any other Group 3 synthetic would work fine too.

I would recommend using different filters than the OEM AC Delco filters as they have gone to E-Core designs which are super cheap construction. Wix, Napa, Fram TG or XG, M1 would all be solid choices.

3k miles is a waste on a modern vehicle that holds almost 8 quarts, I'd follow the OLM with some Dexos1 oil.

BTW your truck should have came with 4 free oil changes from the dealer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Roymac
New 2015 Silverado and have put nearly 3,000 miles on it and planning first oil change. I have traditionally been a conventional oil guy but ready to go synthetic. Mobil 1 is what I am considering but would be grateful for comments on oil and filter. Here are the basics.
1) Vehicle is 2015 Chevy Silverado LTZ 5.3L V8 ECOTEC3, auto trans, trailer pack, axle 3.08.
3) I live on the gulf coast near Houston.
4) Not an easy or slow driver, so I guess it's hard and fast, LOL!
5) I drive interstate 100 miles round trip to work with a bit of driving around town daily.
6) No known problems yet, less than 3,000 miles so far.

I have the same engine in my 14 Sierra. My first recommendation would be to use the complementary dealer oil changes. You paid for them with the truck...just as well use them. Most dealers should be using ACDelco/GM 0W-20 syn blend which is a fine oil for following the oil life monitor. I would go to 25%-20% as this comes out to about 5,000-6,000 miles. The dealer changes are for 2 years/24,000 miles MAX of 4 changes. If you travel enough you will probably hit 24,000 miles before 2 years. Going in every 5k-6k will ensure you get your 4 free changes.

If you want to skip the dealer route then M1 0W-20 is probably the lowest cost Dexos1 approved 0W-20 (assuming you get it from Walmart). Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20 is also Dexos1 approved now. Here is the entire list: http://www.centerforqa.com/gm/dexos1-brands

Just change by the OLM and use your free changes. M1 is fine after the freebies. 8 quart dump after 3k miles is a waste of resources.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
No reason to not run a 0w-20 in it.

Find a 0w-20 with Dexos II certification and go for it!

Trick? There are no 0w-20 oils with dexos2 qualificiation, which is for diesel anyway.

Originally Posted By: ZZBottom
Originally Posted By: Miller88
No reason to not run a 0w-20 in it.

Find a 0w-20 with Dexos II certification and go for it!

Trick? There are no 0w-20 oils with dexos2 qualificiation, which is for diesel anyway.

I thought the newer GMs had II spec. Get whatever is listed in the owners manual and call it a day!

Haven't heard back from the OP yet, sure hope he doesn't do 3K oil changes.

100 mile round trip to work, say 5 days a week. 500 miles per week. Oil changes every 6 weeks and 8 oil changes a year not even counting daily driving around town and weekends or road trips.

$$$ OUCH

So, GM is specing 0W-20 in their V8s now? Wow.

Both my 2007 Tahoe 5.3 and 2014 Camaro 6.2 take the same 5W-30 oil and same filter. Makes it easy to stock up on supplies.

Last edited:
Use a syn blend and change at 5k. I catch lots of heat for not following monitor but at dealer where we service Mom's Impala they recommend 5k. She drives 5k every 2 months and has 6 quarts of oil. She uses AC Delco filters since she is still in warranty. Have seen to many friends that followed monitor only to change engine at 80k. Mom's last car was a know sludge engine for Chrysler so we change it a 3k. Gasket failed at 130k and motor was so clean you swear we replaced it with new. Trans failed at 150k which was to expensive to fix so she got Impala which is now at 46k with looking through fill hole is clean as new. My Vue was changed by previous owner with what ever was on sale and whatever mileage as I bought it used and oil and oil canister was nasty with thick oil substance and dealer wouldn't do anything so I changed 3k for year and 5k for last 4 years. Vehicle had 83k when bought and has 116k on now. Daughter changes at 5k with all of her vehicles getting over 150k and no oil usage. We had a laugh yesterday when we thought about how many GM products are in family with the most miles from brothers at 300k and moms lowest at 46k. Brother still does 3k with me at 5k with daughter and moms. Sisters change at 3k with one at 246k and other at 175k. People call it myths but with Direct Fuel Injection I would only run a name brand like Shell for fuel and Syn Blend or Synthetic and change at 5k or 6 months. Oil is cheaper than engines and dealers will do whatever they can get away with as to not fix sludge motors.

Get yourself a catch can, run whatever name brand synthetic 0w20 you prefer, change when the OLM indicates, and drive the wheels off of that truck.

My brother bought a new Silverado last spring, and has been using PP in his. He said it's surprising how much gunk the catch can traps before it can go back into your engine.

I'd like to listen to one of those new GM truck engines running with 0W-20. I can't imagine them being the least bit quiet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back