Used WD40 to oil my air nailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dug out my old roofing nailer for the first time in 6 years and shot a half dozen nails thru it and it worked just fine. Decided to give her a few drops of oil so I grabbed the WD40 can and give it a shot down the air inlet. Took it back over to a test board and shot another half dozen nails and everything was ok until it started leaking air out the trigger. Wasn't long and it just got worse until the leak was way out of control.
Took the nailer apart and started cleaning and inspecting some parts, the botton O ring was swollen so bad in the trigger assembly it was hard to get apart. I'm not sure what caused the O ring to swell or if that is the problem but I'll never use WD40 in another nail gun. Ordered a new trigger, so only time will tell if the swollen O ring is the problem or not.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
I'd never try to substitute air tool oil with WD40.

^^^^^^ What he said.
Never use WD40 in any pneumatic tools.

WD40 is good for nothing.Throw it away.Use Marvel air tool oil,and PB Blaster/Liquid Wrench/Kroil/Deep Creep/Knocker Loose for everything else.

Dry clean air is the key for air tool longevity few drops of air tool oil before storage or at the days end of use is all you need.

WD40 is a water displacing formula!! That is what WD stands for. It is only all of the general populace who decided it was a lubricant and use it that way.

Think kerosene when you reference WD40, and you will not be far off. Not a penetrant, not a lubricant.

It has its uses......But only for moisture removal and goo gone substitute.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
WD40 is good for nothing.Throw it away.Use Marvel air tool oil,and PB Blaster/Liquid Wrench/Kroil/Deep Creep/Knocker Loose for everything else.

You are wrong. I always start fire with WD 40, it works great !
grin.gif

WD-40 is more of a solvent / cleaner than a lubricant.

Use the correct Air Tool Oil which is more viscous (thicker).

I started using SuperTech penetrating oil because of the high cost of WD-40 and come to find out, I like it better than WD-40. It most certainly smells better. It has a lighter fluid smell.
smile.gif

Never use a solvent or rugular oil in any air gun,impacts etc. Swells seals and cleans to much. A guy that used to run a big air tool company told me the best to use was transmission fluild and never add but 2 -3 drops daily if used a lot. That's all we have used in all our air tools for over 20 years now. Believe me this guy knew his stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back