Disposing of coil spring strut assemblies

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got some Moog strut assemblies today to go on the Cavalier as the old ones are pretty much toast. I'm taking the old ones off as an assembly, meaning the coil spring will still be under tension. How should I dispose of the old ones? I'm a little apprehensive to just stick them in the trash, I can just see the springs flying off in the back of the garbage truck, or worse at the dump where it could possibly injure someone. There's a half dozen or so auto shops within a mile of where I live that may or may not take them. I could always try to hock them as free scrap metal on craigslist or something I guess.

Just scrap them, the springs are not coming off the strut. The gas in the strut (if there is any) is a bigger problem for the recyclers.

Good deal. A big part of why I bought the assembly was to avoid screwing with the sketchy spring compressors parts stores rent out. It would be a bummer and a half if I ended up needing to use one anyway to throw the old ones out.
Thanks for the feedback, trav.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Local indy shops may have a pile of scrap iron (rotors) out pack that you can toss it in. The trash is not the right place for used auto parts.

Big stuff gets recycled and stuff with a core goes back to the parts counter, but little things like ball joints, bushings, gaskets, etc go right in the trash.

Many municipalities have metal recycling.
Shock and strut instructions show where small (3mm-4mm) holes are to be drilled in order to release gas and oil.
If you took the time to disassemble and empty your shocks, a better citizen you'd be.
A local garage owner does get scrap value. Maybe that's the ticket. Kira

I just put my iron based parts in my recycle bin. I would so the same with those.

Think of all the junkyards that crush cars... their struts don't explode, uncompressing the cars like Stephen King's Christene...

Jimzz said:
I just put my iron based parts in my recycle bin. I would so the same with those. [/quote

That's were my old ones went. In my township's metal recycling bin.

Any metal recycler will take them as is. If you don't have a convenient option (like a town dump /recycling center etc...), posting scrap on craigslist usually gets rid of things pretty fast.

Is there a junkyard or scrap metal place near you? They'll take them, and if you're doing more than one car, they might even pay you! (most yards have a minimum weight for payment, at the yard I go to it's 100 lb)

Any shop will gladly take them for the metal.

If you have a metal recycler near you, they will pay you for them, but not much, probably $5-$10.

I've got them sitting on the back seat of my car
Taking it for an alignment in a couple minutes and I'll see if the shop will take them.
If not, I work in the ghetto and can probably just leave them in a park lol.

Also recycling metal is a PITA in Oregon. I was ditching an old truck canopy and they needed a copy of my drivers license to mail the check out instead of giving out cash on the spot. I guess they can track down tweakers stealing copper easier that way lol.

I have drilled holes in HP shocks to see how high pressure they were. Not an issue way less than a spray can it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back