Honda J35 Oil Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Long, long, longtime lurker, first time poster. I've been reading up on oil for the past 6 years or so, and I need a recommendation for my current daily driver.

It's a 2007 Acura TL Type S (J35 11:1 compression ratio) and it has 123k miles on it. I got it with 111k miles on it. I'm the second owner. Original owner had 9-10k OCI based on service records that came with the car, probably based off of the maintenance minder. Anyway, when I got it, I noticed I was losing a little oil between my first oil change and when I bought it. It was about a quart every 1500 miles. Within spec according to Honda, but still not to my liking.

Had a compression test and leakdown test completed and all results came back well within the normal and optimal range(s). I know its either losing oil at the rings or the valve guides. But I'm not really looking to contain the oil consumption, although if I could minimize it, that would be nice.

So, I switched from 5w20 Mobil 1 to Penzoil Yellow Bottle (just to see if the oil consumption would increase) and low and behold, the consumption went down to 1qt per 2000 miles.

So I want to switch back to synthetic... just looking for good options, preferably with a good add pack and low NOACK. I was going to get Pennzoil Ultra, but when I checked up on it again (from a few years ago) it seems like its changed quite a bit.

So, any suggestions? I'm not expecting consumption to magically go away (although the Amsoil fanboys in my Acura forum would like me to believe that Amsoil will fix all my problems). I'd like to go with something commercially available off the shelf due to the need of maybe needing some to top off at times.

I'm open to suggestions. I want to go with 5-6k OCIs. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Mobil 1 HM or Royal Purple HMX would probably be just the ticket for your Acura. Robust add packs and they may also in turn help the consumption issue a bit. The M1 is much easier to find, and also comes in 5w-20 if you want to stay within that grade.

Interesting read on the J37. Thanks for sharing those links.

I might try out a 0w30 or 5w30 Synthetic and see if the consumption goes down. Any suggestions?

Was this your first time using M1? Some people have reported that when using M1 for the first time, there is some consumption that occurred. However, it quickly went away on its own, usually during the second M1 oil change.

There is probably another issue causing your consumption, but I wanted to mention it because it has happened before with M1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back