Ford Mustang finally hits Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.
And bring your own KY Jelly.

http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news/2015-ford-mustang-to-cost-45000-in-australia-31214

Quote:
The $44,990 price is for the four-cylinder version of the new Mustang; the V8 that most buyers will want is $54,990 plus on-road costs.

In both cases Australians are paying about $20,000 more than buyers in the US, where the four-cylinder is listed for sale on the Ford website from $25,300 and the V8 from $32,300.

The US prices don't include state taxes and dealer delivery fees but even taking those into account there is still a large gap.

All of the car manufacturers are pulling out of Oz because of the high cost of local labour...but...
* The pontiac G-8, MADE in Australia dropped in price by nearly 1/3 when the very same car, made with expensive aussie labour was boated to the US.
* Toyota MD got very defensive when asked why a Camry was $30K+ (Expensive Australian Labour)...so now that they are being made in cheap labour countries they will drop to $20 ??? (Errm, no, there are other factors at play as well) - KY Jelly

Originally Posted By: Mykl
All cars are a lot more expensive in Australia than they are in the US.

Yeah, but their "logic" goes out the window when an Oz made car drops 25% after being shipped to the US>

Economies of scale?

What doesn't make sense is why end production there if it is so profitable?

I bet a Holden Commodore that is specd out similar to a Chevrolet SS will cost a lot more. Makes no sense, especially when I bet Holden builds more Commodores, and that is including the "Caprice" version that is fleet only here.

I still wish Ford would have brought the Falcon over here.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Yeah, but their "logic" goes out the window when an Oz made car drops 25% after being shipped to the US>

I know the UK seems to have a similar situation where prices for nearly identical or identical models are 20-30% higher even when taking into account different VAT and other taxes and registration fees compared to the European continent prices.

Exchange rates?

Yikes. I could buy a 2015 Ecoboost for 30,099$ Cdn including freight and air condx tax, plus 13% GST (VAT). Even less for the V6 and the CAD$ is on par with the AUS$

http://bpfoc.ford.ca/2015-Ford-Mustang/?branding=1&lang=en&gnav=header-cars#/MakeItYours/Config%5B%7CFord%7CMustang%7C2015%7C1%7C1.%7C100A.P8T.....~YZKAA.COU.44X.EBST.LESS.%5D

Last edited:

Exchange rates?

During the G8 case, the dollars were about even...

@Shannow:

Those prices in Australia seem at least excessive if not
bordering on outrageous!

I wonder what Australian regulations are concerning importing brand new grey market cars are?

Seems like it would be cheaper to buy the Mustang (or whatever US model you want) here in the USA and privately shipping it to a port in Australia. That would also take into account taxes, shipping and other fees like registration.

My guess as to why the Ford Mustang is expensive in Australia and the exported G-8 to the US dropped in price is simple. The auto manufacturers will charge what they think people are willing to pay for it to maximize profits.

People in Australia are used to paying high prices for cars and even though the cars aren't made there doesn't mean the auto manufacturer will pass on the savings.

As far as the export of the G-8 too much competition from other cars so they can't charge way above the competitors or they won't sell any.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
@Shannow:

Those prices in Australia seem at least excessive if not
bordering on outrageous!

I wonder what Australian regulations are concerning importing brand new grey market cars are?

Seems like it would be cheaper to buy the Mustang (or whatever US model you want) here in the USA and privately shipping it to a port in Australia. That would also take into account taxes, shipping and other fees like registration.

The whole converting it to RHD thing would make that cost prohibitive.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

Sure it would but why would you bother? I know in the UK plenty of
Continent cars (LHD) are registered there and it is legal to have them on the road with only a minor mod or two, for example simply using beam block tape to make the headlamps safe for use in RHD areas.

Continent cars (LHD) are registered there and it is legal to have them on the road with only a minor mod or two, for example simply using beam block tape to make the headlamps safe for use in RHD areas.

The rules are different in Australia. When Ford imported all the 2002 Cobras to Australia, they had to have them converted to RHD to be road legal.

Exchange rates?

During the G8 case, the dollars were about even...

Correct, sort of, but the fact of the matter is there was always a lot of money on the hood of the Holden cars to try to get people to buy them here, so I don't know how you can really compare the price here to there.

There was a lot of money on the G8 cars during the bank meltdown to get people to get their checkbooks out and buy a car when the economy was imploding. My little six cylinder, bought back then, stickered for $32 or $33 and I bought it for $25 cash (edit: maybe $24, been a while - don't recall). Then, even before that was done, Obama's car czar pulled the life support plug on Pontiac and there were huge discounts, a real fire sale on new cars, to get rid of what was left. I passed on a new 2009 G8 GXP for $32 or $33 cash (don't remember) and got the 2009 Solstice instead, since I already had one G8.

There was also a lot of money on the GTO's. As best I recall, the exchange rate was about two thirds back then, and our GTO's were pretty stripped compared to the Monaro's, so I think the price we paid was not quite the steal the G8's were. Seems like I paid $25.5 cash for my GTO.

I still feel for you. I wouldn't pay our prices for a Mustang, much less yall's prices.

Last edited:
$44,000 is pocket change for most Australians here on the Gold Coast, not me though!
frown.gif

Don't forget Australians as a whole are one of the highest earners in the world with a national average of $73,000 USD a year and many foreign car makers will take advantage of that. About half of all new cars I see on the road cost between $40k and $100k, a very large portion will cost $100-200k and I see a handful of cars worth $200-400k every day.
Put it this way I expect every man and his dog to have a Mustang within a year of release! I reckon a lot people will even grab the GT at $60k, again sounds expensive to Americans but it sounds like an attractive option here
As someone said, they will charge what people are willing to pay, and Aussies are willing to pay more than pretty much anyone else

Originally Posted By: 19jacobob93
As someone said, they will charge what people are willing to pay, and Aussies are willing to pay more than pretty much anyone else

I think that they are prepared to borrow more than anyone else... but you are right.

Look at $500,000 asbestos sheet shacks in Sydney.

The rules are different in Australia. When Ford imported all the 2002 Cobras to Australia, they had to have them converted to RHD to be road legal.

Once past a certain age you can drive them LHD, and I've seen a few newer ones back in the 90s that were ex servicemen's vehicles.

SS Camaro's are $100k second hand converted to RHD and our rules.

Originally Posted By: 19jacobob93

I think that they are prepared to borrow more than anyone else... but you are right.

Look at $500,000 asbestos sheet shacks in Sydney.

That too! Those that don't have the money borrow it, so everyone else think they do! I don't get whats wrong with driving a scabby old Falcon haha

Well...at least you're not in Denmark...

Where the Danish government adds a 150% tax to every vehicle...putting the Mustang at well over $100,000 USD.

My neighbor for several years in Virginia Beach was a Danish LTCOL, and while he was here, he bought every big, expensive car he could. In his driveway were a Jag XJ, Suburban, Touareg, and Jeep. In his garage, three Harleys, including a V-Rod.

That was for just him, and his wife.

Sold them all when he went back to Denmark, he couldn't even afford one of the Harleys there...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back