Leaking GE dishwasher drain solenoid

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

I have a leak under my (10 y/o) GE dishwasher which appears to be coming from the 'drain solenoid'. It appears to start leaking when the plunger on the solenoid engages (goes down). Before I spend over $40 on a new solenoid I wanted to ask if there is any washer/gasket inside the solenoid that would cause leaking?

This is the solenoid:

http://www.partselect.com/PS260117-GE-WD...um=GSD3800G00WW

Any insights would be appreciated.

I have rebuilt my GE Monogram dishwasher and found it easier to just replace the whole component. I have tried to source the pump parts with no luck. So it's easier in my experience just to replace the assembly.

I use this site: http://www.appliancepartspros.com/

I have used the parts select one as well.

Last edited:
I'm not worried about the cost of the new solenoid but rather about buying it and finding out that's not what's leaking.

I guess my question should have been if these solenoids actually have water going through them or are they electrical (only) devices.
If they contain water then I'm nearly certain that's what's leaking and will replace the part.

I worked in appliances 13+ years ago. GE is notorious for solenoid issues (as well as circuit boards). I would guess that is the problem. Also, with GE the assemblies are so fragile you just need to replace the assembly and not try to fix it.

Originally Posted By: SF0059
I worked in appliances 13+ years ago. GE is notorious for solenoid issues (as well as circuit boards). I would guess that is the problem. Also, with GE the assemblies are so fragile you just need to replace the assembly and not try to fix it.

+1 my Monogram has 2 pumps and 2 solenoid valves...
crazy2.gif
crazy2.gif
crazy2.gif
crazy2.gif
on the second leaker I just replaced all 4 and now it's been fine for 5 years...(knocking on wood)

I doubt it is the door seal. Our GE leaked at door seal right off the bat. Some extra rubber flash at the seam was causing it.

Make sure the door seal is clean and intact.

I think the problem is actually the 'shaft seal' on the drain pump.
The water looked like it was coming from the solenoid.but it's actually coming from above. While removing the shaft seal the entire shaft came out of the plastic ....I think it's time for a new machine.

Thanks guys.

Anybody have suggestions for a new budget model dishwasher..(with the kids gone it's only run once or twice a week).

For price, design and ease of repair you can't go wrong with Whirlpool. Think of them as the F-150 or Silverado of dishwashers.

Although, if I was to buy one I'd go for the Mercedes... Miele.

I got a Samsung- great washer- has a built in food grinder and fully stainless steel tub. Quiet and does a great job cleaning.

We had good luck with a Kenmore made by Whirlpool. It was replaced by a Bosch from Lowe's. We also looked at a Kitchenaid model that was on some special additional sale at the time. The Bosch is a very quiet dishwasher.

We stay in the $500 range as we found the cheaper budget dishwashers did not do very well (increased repairs & life span). I would start with reviewing Consumer Reports last reports and go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back