Air Compressor Oil Change 20W ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an old air compressor in my garage at home mostly used to fill up tires and sometimes for my air tools i use at home every now and then. It was bought by my dad in the early 80's and the oil was never changed i think it requires 20w non detergent but i am not sure anyone have any ideas it is an old sears with an electric motor. I want to change the oil on it because sometimes i use the impact tools to do brakes (taking wheels off) because we are always cramped at the shop with cars everywhere.

If you have a Sears nearby, check to see if they sell air compressor oil. It will be basically the same stuff that come with the compressor when new.

Sears has both reg, and synthetic compressor oils. At least they used to a few years ago.

I would use a compressor oil instead of the oil. Going to be pretty hard to find that oil anymore. I use Amsoil for the last 20 years in a sears compressor. I change it out every year or two.

Sounds like my compressor, I have always used 20 weight non detergent.That's what it came with as stated in the manual. No need for anything fancy, it's just a simple compressor.

Last edited:
Do not use any oil. It must be oil for compressors or at least a nondetergent type. These are what's specified as they do not absorb moisture, unlike modern detergent motor oils. If you run it long enough, water + detergent oil = emulsion. Not good for lubrication.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
And oil will work as will compressor oil. You can buy both at any real auto parts store.saw 20 may be hard to find. Id Go with sae30
stupid phone. Sposed to be nd oil not and

My cambell hausfeld air compressor that I have for 30 years called for 10/40 oil, and I have used that all these years, and it gets used a lot, and in cold and hot weather. I change it about once a year. Just changed it last week.

I use M1 10w-30 in mine. Spec is either that or straight 30 compressor oil.

M1 is easier for me to find so I use that

If you're looking to grab it locally, Home Depot stocks a conventional and synthetic blend compressor oil.

If you feel like ordering it, Amazon carries Red Line synthetic compressor oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back