Mobil 1 0w40 in Yaris?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm contemplating trying M1 0w40 in my car this spring/summer/fall. It has the 1NZ-FE 1.5L engine originally spec'd for 5w30 and back spec'd to 5w20. I've tried several oils varying from synblends to synthetics, and have noticed that all Xw20 oils seem louder while driving on the highway. For my current job, I drive about 70% highway, and take 500 mile road trips about once a month. Do you guys think it would be safe to try M1 0w40? From what I've read it is a light 40 weight oil and is actually thinner on start up around 0 degrees F than many conventional 5w30 oils. Haven't done the research whether or not that was true though. The mobil rebate is also making me want to try this even more since I can get it for about $14.
Thanks for any input!

I think you might lose a little highway power & MPGs, but considering your engine (same as the xB in my sig) is known for shearing down oil, it may shear the 0W40 down to a 30 eventually anyway.

Always worth a try; I've run about 3 OC with 40 weight oils and always went back to 30 or 20 weight.

There are plenty of oils in those ranges that should quiet the engine down.

Some insist a driver cannot tell the difference when the engine uses a different weight oil. Going from 20 to 40 weight in a car putting out about 40HP on the highway, I believe you will be able to tell.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input guys. I might get a UOA with my current fill of Castol 5w20, and then another one for the 0w40 if I do decide to go that route. My main concern is the noise and the highway rpms, which can be up to 3500. In general, how long does it take the Blackstone sample kits to ship? I may change my oil next weekend if it's nice out.

Would not be a problem, it might quiet it down too.
The current fill on my xB with the same engine is Castrol black 0w-30, feels as if the oil was made for this engine. High rpm noise is because of the small volume of the engine and lack of insulation.

I think it's an excellent choice - those little Toyota 1.5's work hard in vehicles they are in, so a light 40-weight that shears by design is a great option.

I used 0w-40 Mobil 1 in my old Integra before. I noticed no difference between that and 5w-30s in that vehicle at all. I say go for it. Probably not necessary, but it won't hurt anything.

Originally Posted By: DannyBoyG
Do you guys think it would be safe to try M1 0w40?

It's perfectly safe. If running 'too thick' oil had potential to damage the engine, we'd all need to sit in the driveway and idle for 10~15 minutes until the oil reached proper temperature and viscosity, or perhaps install some sort of oil pre-heater. In the real world, all engines wind up being operated for significant periods of time with cool 20 or 30 weight oil that has the same viscosity as hot 40.

Go for it!
smile.gif

I'm pretty sure the rumor of this engine being back spec'd to 5w20 is false. Toyota still recommends a 30 weight oil for this motor in the new Yaris.

I remember seeing a thickness / temperature calculator which allowed you to type in specs from various oil's and it would display the thickness at each corresponding temperature value. 5w30 was often thinner than M1's 0w40.

5w30 is the sweet spot, in my opinion.

Safe? It's fine. Used to dump a witch's brew of different-brand 10w40s into my 1NZ since I got em for free. I am now using 0w30 Mobil 1(got it at bargain-basement price, notice a trend?), and the only major difference I can tell is in a lot less top end noise on cold startups. I am a (mild) hypermiler and track my mileage religiously and could not tell an MPG benefit to the thinner oil. It also hasn't made my oil leak any worse. Granted, though, the Echo is a solid couple of hundred lbs lighter than a Yaris, so the 1NZ is a lot less stressed in mine. I'd say go for the 0w40 if you want.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back