4X4 RAM 3500HD Differential Lube change Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, I also considered the thicker lube, considering the amount of stress the rear axle sees (75w140 is the recommended viscosity for the 1500 Ram) but RAM suggests the 75w90 so that's what I'll use for now.

It's the only thing that worked for me. My front differential always stayed clean but rear looked like grey paint. I'm convinced that if I didn't change to 75w-140 I would have been rebuilding rear by now.

I'm a fan of Royal Purple Max Gear 75W90, I've used it in both of the '02 & '06 Rams, along with Mag-Hytec rear diff covers, the covers make it easy to change the lube, & the magnetic plugs & built in dipstick make changing fluid & checking levels easy. I don't usually tow really heavy, but I've yet to burn any RP gear oil! Most RP products are overpriced compared to their competition, but not Max Gear.

Originally Posted By: robd
It's the only thing that worked for me. My front differential always stayed clean but rear looked like grey paint. I'm convinced that if I didn't change to 75w-140 I would have been rebuilding rear by now.

Oddly enough, the FRONT diff on my 99 Cherokee produced fluid that looked grey and metallic when I got it (bought with ~120k on it and records of 1 prior axle fluid change that also noted "grey" in the front diff). The recommended fluid is 75w90, and after doing two short-interval changes, its come out normal looking ever since on fairly ordinary 75w90. I've never had a clue why that front diff looked so awful, especially given how rarely 4wd is ever used on that Jeep. But it may be that in your case also, it was the short interval changes that cleaned it up and not the switch to over-weight gear lube.

Originally Posted By: Artem

My question is, since I NEVER engage the front axle and only drive with the dually's doing all the work, is it really necessary to change the oil in the front axle? I mean, sure the gears are spinning since the front tires are rolling but they aren't getting any LOAD, unlike the read axle does. Why on earth would RAM suggest I dump perfectly good oil from the front axle every 15k miles? It doesn't make any sense to me.

The last time I changed the fluid, the rear axle lube looked a bit darker then it went in and was loaded with metallic bits floating in it, the front looked clean as the day it went in! with not much metal in the oil.

Who else thinks that Chrysler is out to get my money and nothing more with this absurd maintenance schedule for the front axle, which isn't even in use!!
33.gif

for front axle i don't know dodge but if it's anything like the GM indep. front suspension (IFS) then the ring & pinion does not turn unless you have 4wd engaged.
while parked in 2wd see if you can turn your front drive shaft by hand, if so then that's the case and you may have 100k miles on the truck but not on the front axle.
but if the front axle is turning while you drive, then you are correct it's not loaded and you are only wearing the coast side of gear not the drive side. typical trucks/vans go 100k miles on rear axle oil before changing and i've seen a few that see normal use that drained clean, so i would not worry at all about the front axle.
the way things are today, the dealer is just checking front axle fluid level and billing you for parts/labor never done saying the fluid was changed.

and are you towing just in Florida? there's no hills there all flat, i would not touch the rear axle every 15k except at the first 15k miles. use a 75w-140 synthetic oil from any parts store or use the mopar stuff, or the GM stuff, and do it at 50k intervals. that's my [internet] opinion.

I travel all 48 states. Currently in Minnesota freezing my coolant as I type this.

I actually FINALLY had to engage 6 wheel drive recently while driving through the Thor snow storm. I did it mostly for piece of mind while driving through icy conditions. Wasn't for more then 200 miles though.

After talking with many people who tow heavy in the mountains of Pennsylvania the general consensus was to use 75w-140. It gives more protection and my fuel mileage stayed the same. Even dealer said I would be better off with the thicker lube. I use 75w-90 in front axle and 75w-140 in rear. I knew the fluid needed changed when it started hopping around corners at that time fluid was like grey paint now fluid stays relatively clean.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Not sure why Ram decided to stick with 75w90 even in heavy duty use but I'll experiment with a thicker lube later.

My opinion is to keep up on the changes in the rear to keep it fresh and maybe change the front once and then forget about it.

One problem for "unused" front axles is that they run Cold and you get condensation water in em.
Do atleast the first change and look for darkened metal inside.

I just changed oil in the axles of my 2007 Ram 2500 last summer. I did a "how-to" on the Cummins Forum: http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/07-5-0...nge-w-pics.html

My manual specifies a 15k interval as well, which I think is ridiculous. I changed mine at 15k and didn't change it again until 85k miles. The oil that came out with 70k miles on it looked fine, but I rarely tow anything with my Ram and never carry anything heavier than a couple of cubic yards of garden mulch. If you tow heavy trailers like of lot of Ram guys do you may want to follow the factory recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back